Okay, so I can't post this in a more appropriate forum, so thought I would ask here. Does anyone have any experience opening a new guitar retail store? What are basic costs and fees I can expect to encounter? Any ideas on brands to market and contact? Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, I live in Manhattan, KS. No major music retailers anywhere in the area. Nearest Guitar Center/Sam Ash is 2 hours away...
Hey man! Hope your dream to open the store comes true. I'm so jealous

I don't know much about guitar retail shops but a friend of mine told me that it's really hard to get Gibson guitars in your store without buying a really large amount of them. Maybe try some of the smaller manufacturer or Ibanez (I know my friend sells them as well).

Greetings and good luck
Agree as far as Gibson goes. We have a 2 local stores within 20 minutes of GC and they seem to do well. Lots of Fender, Ibanez, and Seagull. For the money, hard to beat a Seagull acoustic. Good luck.
Good luck, with your venture,

I don't know how much business experience you have so you probably will know a lot of this already:

Like any business, it will be a while possibly even a couple years before you see a profit. You're going to have to invest in a large stock of equipment, , obtain insurance and store security, lease a location (probably the most important part of opening a business - they don't say location, location, location for nothing). Are you just selling guitars and guitar related gear or will you be stocking drums, DJ equip etc.? You should think about online sales as well as brick and mortar businesses have taken a huge hit thanks to the internet.

You'll have to deal with insurance, overhead (although not a lot to begin with). Then as defkorn1985 said, if you want to deal with a company like Gibson it's going to cost you. You should put some time and thought into what brands will sell the most in your particular area. No point selling high end guitars in a low income area.
Very good information everyone!

I have already contacted Gibson and Fender just to get an idea of what the cost would be on those. I have leaned towards Fender more than Gibson just due to their versatility; electric, acoustic, amplifiers, etc.

Any lesser known brands I should be on the look out for? I mean going back the Fender, they have Squiers obviously. I'm not really talking about that necessarily, but more like off name brands that do perform well and don't come across as "cheap"