Hey
So my living situation at the moment means I can't have an amp + pedals, and I also want to record directly to my PC.

I guess I have two options :

1) Guitar software such as BIAS, and get an audio interface to allow for D.I. I'd be able to record direct easily with it - however if I even wanted to show a friend a riff or whatever, I couldn't play it out loud could I?

2) A multi-FX pedal, such as the Zoom G3.

I don't gig, and have no intention to in the immediate future.

Thoughts?
If you don't plan on gigging, I don't see why you'd even want a multi fx pedal, they don't sound as nice as normal analogue pedals anyway, the only benefit of them is that they're easy to carry around if you're gigging. For your purposes, amp Sims should be fine, and if you want to show your friend a riff, just use speakers? Keep in mind BIAS is only for amps, if you want fx you're going to have to shell out some more cash for BIAS fx. I personally hate BIAS, Peavy Revalver 4 is the king of amp Sims IMO. either way you're going to need an interface like a DAC, so add that to your shopping list.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Jimjambanx
If you don't plan on gigging, I don't see why you'd even want a multi fx pedal, they don't sound as nice as normal analogue pedals anyway, the only benefit of them is that they're easy to carry around if you're gigging. For your purposes, amp Sims should be fine, and if you want to show your friend a riff, just use speakers? Keep in mind BIAS is only for amps, if you want fx you're going to have to shell out some more cash for BIAS fx. I personally hate BIAS, Peavy Revalver 4 is the king of amp Sims IMO. either way you're going to need an interface like a DAC, so add that to your shopping list.

Thanks I'll do that. Would be so cool if there was a way to hook up BIAS fx to an amp from my PC.

Oh really how come you hate BIAS fx? It has pretty rave reviews, or is it just not good for your style of music?

Sorry another question, what's a DAC? One of those boxes that connects to the PC via usb that I plug my guitar into?

Thanks for your help btw!
Quote by Zoofiee
Thanks I'll do that. Would be so cool if there was a way to hook up BIAS fx to an amp from my PC.

Oh really how come you hate BIAS fx? It has pretty rave reviews, or is it just not good for your style of music?

Sorry another question, what's a DAC? One of those boxes that connects to the PC via usb that I plug my guitar into?

Thanks for your help btw!

BIAS actually just came out with BIAS head, which (I believe) lets you load your presets from BIAS desktop onto a small amp head, and it functions just as a normal amp head would. The reason I don't like BIAS is because 90% of their reviews are bought, just about every youtuber who raves about BIAS were all either given their copy for free, are sponsered by BIAS, or were just payed outright (Glenn Fricker, Steve Terryberry, Jared Dines, Fluff I think, Rob Scallon etc). IMO the distortion tones are thin and sound really cold and digital, almost like it's clipping, the metal tones to me are just poor out of the box, unless you spend a lot of time tweaking it. I have however heard people make it work well like Tosin Abasi, but yeah I'm just not a fan of the sounds in general. Do some research and listen to a lot of amp sims, there are a lot of great products out there.

A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter, and yeah it just converts your analogue guitar signal into a digital signal which then gets sent to your computer via USB. You can get them relatively cheap, and really nice ones like the 2 channel Scarlett Focusrite I can get around $200 here in Australia (will be cheaper in other countries most likely)
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Jimjambanx
BIAS actually just came out with BIAS head, which (I believe) lets you load your presets from BIAS desktop onto a small amp head, and it functions just as a normal amp head would. The reason I don't like BIAS is because 90% of their reviews are bought, just about every youtuber who raves about BIAS were all either given their copy for free, are sponsered by BIAS, or were just payed outright (Glenn Fricker, Steve Terryberry, Jared Dines, Fluff I think, Rob Scallon etc). IMO the distortion tones are thin and sound really cold and digital, almost like it's clipping, the metal tones to me are just poor out of the box, unless you spend a lot of time tweaking it. I have however heard people make it work well like Tosin Abasi, but yeah I'm just not a fan of the sounds in general. Do some research and listen to a lot of amp sims, there are a lot of great products out there.

A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter, and yeah it just converts your analogue guitar signal into a digital signal which then gets sent to your computer via USB. You can get them relatively cheap, and really nice ones like the 2 channel Scarlett Focusrite I can get around $200 here in Australia (will be cheaper in other countries most likely)

Thanks again, that's really helpful and you've just made me look elsewhere!
Looks like a much better option for me than buying a multi FX pedal.

So If I'm looking for an amp sim software that :
1) Has a good variety of amps and effects
2) Has a nice to use interface
3) Can also be used standalone, eg not always within a DAW if I just want to jam along to a backing track.
4) Is preferably cross platform that can allow me to use the registration on at least 2 devices, so my laptop and desktop.

Could anyone give me their personal recommendations? I'm checked out a bunch, but I prefer getting first hand vouches!