Hey everyone.

I am trying to decide what tuners to buy for my new (planned) semi-baritone Flying V axe (26.22 inch scale, drop B tuning, 12-65 gauge strings, fixed bridge, GraphTech Black Tusk nut).

A have a good experience with Gotoh locking tuners, that I used for my Ibanez RGIB-6 baritone (27 inch scale, drop A tuning, 13-72 gauges strings). They have a 16:1 gear ratio and the gear mechanism is sealed.

Now I discovered (among the brands and types that are easy to get in my area) some Hipshot locking tuners, with a 18:1 gear ratio, but with an open (exposed) gear mechanism.

Has anyone of you any experience with them Hipshots? Would they work better, in my particular application, compared to those Gotoh tuners? And how about that open gear mechanism?

Please share your opinion. Thanx!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Jun 11, 2016,
They're both great. Can't go wrong with either really.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i have a quad of ibanez prestiges with gotoh and they have been nothing but perfect.

i hate locking tuners.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i hate locking tuners.

Why?
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
OK, so finally I decided to buy the Gotoh tuners. My luthier has warned me, that he previously had issues with those open/exposed gear mechanisms on the Hipshot tuners, so I dumped that idea. So, Gotoh will it be. Howgh.
Well hipshot makes sealed machine heads as well.

Trashed, you hate locking tuners? Why? Great quality of life upgrade for string changes!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Well hipshot makes sealed machine heads as well.

I know, but as I said: I have to choose from what is available in my area, because shipping expenses from US (& overseas in general) are just ridiculous. And here I can only get open Hipshots....
Last edited by Airfish at Jun 13, 2016,