Hey all,

So I got this Squier bullet. Couldn't find anything pink, and this worked. My intention was to make some improvements to it, but I really don't know anything about messing with gear in this way. This will be my first "mod" I guess lol, so I am trying to get any advice I can.

What are good options for tuners? Do I need to replace bridge? I also thought about replacing the neck, but now I'm not so sure, seems expensive. The frets are total shit on this thing. Is there a way I cam file them down, they hang... what's a good tool for that? Going to replace pups for sure, too.

Any answers/suggestions/advice would be appreciated

Thanks.
Quote by Yorkeson at #34003789
Hey all,

What are good options for tuners?

Grover, Kluson and Gotoh make decent tuners

Do I need to replace bridge?

Depends. Is it a trem? Do you use it a lot? Do you have problems with it?

I also thought about replacing the neck, but now I'm not so sure, seems expensive.

It can be expensive, sure.

Is there a way I cam file them down, they hang... what's a good tool for that? Going to replace pups for sure, too.

You could file them down yourself. If you don't know what you're doing there's a good chance that you'll either wreck the frets or the board itself though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ru_0DY4iQ

Keep in mind, if you end up spending a ton of money on that Bullet, you might have been able to buy a nice CV Squier or an MIM.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If the neck and body are in good shape, probably best to leave them be. Everything else is less of an issue. Depending on the tuners, you may have to drill to make new ones fit, so you might want to just clean them up. Tuning issues tend to come from the nut and worn strings. The bridge, I don't know...if it's not a problem, might leave it. Since it has a pickguard, you could see about a pre-wired one with pickups installed already.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Are you in the UK? If so check out partscaster.co.uk they have really nice necks at an affordable price (better than US fender genuine necks I've had) they also do nice in house pickups, and also check ironstone pickups for high quality at a competitive price.
Try tightening the screw on the tip of the tuners to adjust the tension they have, you can in effect use them just as well as expensive models if you get this right.
Use a normal nail file for the fret sides, possible the tops?
Take a look at bridge saddles and blocks at the least or an entire mex bridge, if they are the solid block type saddles then keep those as they can be perfectly good.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Depends. Is it a trem? Do you use it a lot? Do you have problems with it?

It is a trem, but I don't use it at all. The saddles seem so cheap, I think I have to replace them.

You could file them down yourself. If you don't know what you're doing there's a good chance that you'll either wreck the frets or the board itself though.

I think I'll try this.

Keep in mind, if you end up spending a ton of money on that Bullet, you might have been able to buy a nice CV Squier or an MIM.

This is what I was thinking... I don't wanna spend more than having been able to get a mim or something. It is hard to find pink tho. This is kind of for fun for me.. I play an sg 61 reissue daily, which will prob remain my main guitar. Got this and a new gig bag (which I need for another guitar anyways) for $65 lol, so decided I'd mess around with it.
Quote by choonoo.lunn
Are you in the UK? If so check out partscaster.co.uk they have really nice necks at an affordable price (better than US fender genuine necks I've had) they also do nice in house pickups, and also check ironstone pickups for high quality at a competitive price.
Try tightening the screw on the tip of the tuners to adjust the tension they have, you can in effect use them just as well as expensive models if you get this right.
Use a normal nail file for the fret sides, possible the tops?
Take a look at bridge saddles and blocks at the least or an entire mex bridge, if they are the solid block type saddles then keep those as they can be perfectly good.

I do not live in UK, so that won't be an option. Thank you for the advice tho. These saddles gotta go. They're the rounded ones, terrible.
Also, anyone have good suggestions for pickups? I've always just played my two guitars that I have, don't know pickups that well. I play through a Vox AC30 , and we have a mildly dirty sound, but nothing heavy. Looking for something a little jangly/bright, but still with some meat..