There was a time when I hated them. I was kicked out of a band that I was in or they just reformed another band without me because they wanted to play the Grateful Dead and I wasn't into it. We were playing Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull.
Then I bought a couple albums and thought this isn't all that bad. A lot of people think Jerry Garcia is not a very good guitarist. Well there's more to guitar playing then playing a lot of fast notes. I never heard a better Stratocaster guitar sound when he was using one. There was a device in his guitar called an alembic strata blaster. It was just a little preamp built-in but it made his Stratocaster sound like none other. He played some really nice stuff that sounded beautiful and inspiring, to me anyway. Yes some guitar players have much more skill and profound technique but Jerry Garcia playing with the Grateful Dead on good night again, to me is better.
And yes the vocals were not as good as Whitney Houston. But basically the songs were cool and it jams were incredible that's what I like about them.
Without A Net is a badass album. You don't have to be a Dead fan to like this album.....unless your appreciation for good music just sucks.
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are great albums

when I'm in a really shit mood or just stressed the fuck out I just put on my headphones and listen to Ripple, it's such a chill and beautiful song it really helps me get my shit together

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsbAuX9P4w

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I can't get into them. Just kinda sounds unoriginal.

it is unoriginal music sounds like a ripoff of so many bands that sound just like them Jimi Hendrix experience and Led Zeppelin I can't tell a difference them and the Grateful Dead. Other artists a ripoff is like Doris Day singing how much is that doggie in the window that sounds so much like them it's a total ripoff. Little Richard too Jerry Garcia ripped off his singing style. Saying something is unoriginal is unoriginal come up with something new or legitimate gripe. Saying something is gay is gay. You don't know what you're talking about. If you don't like them I don't have a problem with that and I suppose one could find many reasons why they don't enjoy the Grateful Dead.
They had lots of bad nights where they did that sound very good. Sometimes there long jams could test your patience, other times they were hypnotizing. It don't matter.
Conversely yope do you like Phish? I always saw them as a modern day version of the Grateful Dead.
not grateful yet
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Rebel Scum
Conversely yope do you like Phish? I always saw them as a modern day version of the Grateful Dead.

phond of phish but aren't they dephunkled? , a long time now
Yope, you are afraid of a lot of things apparently. I do not care for the Grateful Dead but I do like Jerry Garcia's other work. Those Old and in the Way live albums are stellar.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 11, 2016,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are great albums

when I'm in a really shit mood or just stressed the fuck out I just put on my headphones and listen to Ripple, it's such a chill and beautiful song it really helps me get my shit together

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsbAuX9P4w

Ripple reminds me of my cousin who passed away a couple of years ago and it makes me cry sometimes but it is a lovely song.

Some of GD is good, but most is just hippie live jam band garbage. But the good stuff is good.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I never liked this song. I never like the one that went "hello Mr. so-and-so I hope you're doing well if I had a shotgun I blow you straight to hell" I like to jam garbage . You are the eyes of the world, Althea, Scarlet begeu,.. Flowers. I like me and my uncle and the other one, that's it for the other one whatever the other ones called, anthem of the sun.
Ripple and the like I don't care for. This is what I thought the Grateful Dead was before I heard some of the other stuff and it really turned me off. I like their covers namely good Lovin, Eleanor Rigby dear Prudence not fade away.
i don't like their jam stuff as much tho i havent heard much of it

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
this is actually really good

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
The only song I know by them is Scarlet Begonias that's only because Sublime did it
Quote by theogonia777
Yope, you are afraid of a lot of things apparently. I do not care for the Grateful Dead but I do like Jerry Garcia's other work. Those Old and in the Way live albums are stellar.

I'm an idiot and a coward. I listen to some of Jerry Garcia's solo work. I didn't like it as much as the dead. It's like he's a most important component of the dead but just the main gear in the machine.

The bluegrass albums were really good. To me it sounded like he just hired a bunch of the very best bluegrass musicians and recorded an album. I missed that dried out nasally bluegrass voice used by bluegrass singers so often, I like that. So I think the music part was great except I didn't hear any world-class top-notch flat picking and I did not care for the singing.

The other solo work was a valiant effort that fell short of the dead. What I heard. It was recorded live. He sang tangled up in blue by Bob Dylan. It didn't look like he was reading it. That song, the lyrics like memorizing a book. The man is a genius. He played some really nice guitar with it. Hearing that however just let you know how much the Grateful Dead band augmented Garcia and Garcia accentuated what the Grateful Dead were doing. It pales in comparison.
Last edited by yope at Jun 13, 2016,
Peter Rowan is from Boston I think so he doesn't have a high, nasaly sounding southern voice. Not known as being much of a lead guitarist either. There's a previous incarnation called Muleskinner that had a similar lineup, though it was Richard Greene on fiddle and Bill Keith on banjo instead of Jerry and they also had Clarence White as a second guitarist doing mostly lead.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.