Hey guys, so this is more of a gear question than anything.
For a while I was just playing on a Line6 Spider IV 15, and everything sounded great. It has the modeling features so I normally used the Metal or Insane setting, but then I eventually got a head/cab and a bunch of pedals. I didn't want to necessarily recreate the same sound, but I wanted my playing to react in the same way as on the Line6.
I now have a Randall RG1003 head and some pedals. I tried the MXR Fullboe Metal, Outlaw Widowmaker and TC Dark Matter. They all sound fine, but the problem I'm having is in my palm mutes. For some reason with my new gear my palm mutes sound so dead, with no sustain, punch or anything. I feel like I'm playing on my clean channel. I don't know what Line6 uses to generate their modelled tones, but I can't use my current gear to get those palm mutes sounding good. I tried different guitars, strings, pickups, pedals, amp settings, and all that jazz.
Is there anything I can add to my rig to help with my issue?
Are you making those distortion pedals do all the work into that Randall on a clean channel? That is probably clue 1. Have the amp do most the work and then have the pedal boost the amp a little bit. Also the amp is Solid State, it probably does not like overdrive/distortion units well in the first place.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 11, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Are you making those distortion pedals do all the work into that Randall on a clean channel? That is probably clue 1. Have the amp do most the work and then have the pedal boost the amp a little bit. Also the amp is Solid State, it probably does not like overdrive/distortion units well in the first place.

Okay that makes sense. I just tried that out and it seemed to work pretty well.

I wasn't sure what to get for my first head, so I just went with something popular in the metal genre. I am looking for something a little different though, as I would prefer a more modern and punchy sound, and have heard about tube amps being better suited for my needs.
If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear some. Thanks
Last edited by pmg1591 at Jun 11, 2016,
Quote by pmg1591
Okay that makes sense. I just tried that out and it seemed to work pretty well.

I wasn't sure what to get for my first head, so I just went with something popular in the metal genre. I am looking for something a little different though, as I would prefer a more modern and punchy sound, and have heard about tube amps being better suited for my needs.
If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear some. Thanks

- What's your budget?
- How much power?
- What features (loop, channels, reverb)?
- What do you want to sound like?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Find the sweat spots on your amp without pedals first. That means all knobs except volume to 0 and then go through each one until you hear a noticeable change. When it changes, back to 0 and on with the next. Then put them all back to their sweat spot positions and work off from that.

There is no reason why you can't palm mute with a Randall. See Dimebag Darrell from Pantera.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
A tube amp is a great improvement in tone. The tube would generate great distorted tones and the natural compression of the tubes would increase sustain after the palm muting.

If a tube amp is out of the budget, I find that.the.MXR DD-1 1 Dimebag distortion is the pedal that works best with solid state amps.
Quote by 8Len8
- What's your budget?
- How much power?
- What features (loop, channels, reverb)?
- What do you want to sound like?

It doesn't have to be fancy, just something affordable with the desired tone. Anything under $500, doesn't need multiple channels or reverb. I'm still in the early stages of trying things out before I blow the bank on a full on rig. I'm looking for a more modern metalcore sound though, not that scratchy Metallica sound that I'm getting with the Randall. Something more along the lines of Kingdom of Giants, Fit for a King, or Bury Tomorrow
Based on the limited description, you should be able to dial this in with your current amp, it sound like you just need to work on the EQ. Also, before buying an EQ pedal, I would work on your current amp/pedal settings and try that first.
Last edited by MAChiefs at Jun 12, 2016,