So here's my situation :
I'm living in a flat, and the feasibility of getting the most out of an amp isn't there as I can't be loud at all. The next best options for me is either a multi FX pedal like a Zoom G5 or getting an amp sim like BIAS/Amplitube etc.

If I was going to go the BIAS FX route, I would also need to buy an interface - so that's £120 for BIAS + £100 for an interface.
For that money I could buy a Zoom G5, Boss Gt-001 and maybe even a POD HD second hand.

Which you personally choose? I want something I can practice on, record directly my PC and also nerd out looking for different tones etc! I heard quite a few amp sims have standalone versions too so I don't always need to load them up in a DAW.

I'm not looking to gig in the foreseeable future, and the most 'live' thing I'm going to is to play a riff/solo to someone that's in the room - which I could easily do by speakers connected to my PC.

Cheers!
Interface plus software. I personally like Peavey Revalver - I think it responds the best of any amp sim.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Cheers! Do you not feel restricted by using only Peavey amps/effects though, unlike other software where you can use multiple brands etc
I can speak from both sides. I've currently got a POD HD500x, and while it's been a great tool, gigged it from time to time, and played through it in my flat..i've recently gone back to using amp sims. Got decent sims of Dual recs, Marshalls, ENGLs, 5150s.. all free. Plus got some decent cab sims.
While it takes a little more time to dial in than a decent modeller, the POD still took a while as well, and if anything i'd really prefer to go back to running a real amp (Got a 6505+ which i'll bring to my house next year in uni, but won't be able to crank it much).

So I say save the cash and go for interface + plugins!
Quote by ambler3
I can speak from both sides. I've currently got a POD HD500x, and while it's been a great tool, gigged it from time to time, and played through it in my flat..i've recently gone back to using amp sims. Got decent sims of Dual recs, Marshalls, ENGLs, 5150s.. all free. Plus got some decent cab sims.
While it takes a little more time to dial in than a decent modeller, the POD still took a while as well, and if anything i'd really prefer to go back to running a real amp (Got a 6505+ which i'll bring to my house next year in uni, but won't be able to crank it much).

So I say save the cash and go for interface + plugins!

Cheers man that's really helpful hearing from someone who can speak from both.

Thing is, in total it'll end up around the same about of money.
A boss gt-001 is around the same price as an interface + software would cost me.

Thinking about the future though, an audio interface is probably a useful device to have as a musician who's into recording!
Don't forget that you can go with freeware amp sims. You could possibly get really good results with the GT-001 as interface and modeler as long as you don't use its cabs but try cab IRs, which you can load with something like NadIR vst plugin in your DAW. You could also do OK with the Boss just by itself once you learn how to use it.
I am not crazy about its cab emulations but the rest is solid so you can disable the cab sims, feed that into your DAW and monitor the signal there using the Boss as a USB input with effects.
If you don't like the Boss sims you can just use it as an interface, I have the GT-10 which is a bit older but it works fine as audio interface. The way I record with it - take a USB out feed at the input but put the rest of my signal chain afterwards, so that way I am monitoring the Boss sounds but recording clean, after that I can tweak the clean track - either by looping it back through the Boss or using the DAW.
Quote by diabolical
Don't forget that you can go with freeware amp sims. You could possibly get really good results with the GT-001 as interface and modeler as long as you don't use its cabs but try cab IRs, which you can load with something like NadIR vst plugin in your DAW. You could also do OK with the Boss just by itself once you learn how to use it.
I am not crazy about its cab emulations but the rest is solid so you can disable the cab sims, feed that into your DAW and monitor the signal there using the Boss as a USB input with effects.
If you don't like the Boss sims you can just use it as an interface, I have the GT-10 which is a bit older but it works fine as audio interface. The way I record with it - take a USB out feed at the input but put the rest of my signal chain afterwards, so that way I am monitoring the Boss sounds but recording clean, after that I can tweak the clean track - either by looping it back through the Boss or using the DAW.

What do you use the GT-001 as an interface and modeler? Literally just use the GT-001 to plug my guitar into my PC?! Sorry, I'm pretty in the dark when it comes to this
The GT series (GT-10 and up) has USB audio interface, which shows as the internal mixer of the device (look here after flexible routing):
https://youtu.be/r5DeZJEmVYg?t=22

where you can move where you want the USB output to be. So say you put the USB output first in the chain (it is a square block with "USB" on it), then your clean signal from the guitar will go first, and it will record the clean signal of the guitar into the DAW. You will be monitorin the effected signal through headphones on the GT-001 based on what you pick afterwards in the signal chain, say:

guitar input->(inside the GT-001)usb->compr->Marshall stack sim->speaker sim->reverb(out of the GT-001)->headphone or line output

Where it says "usb" it will essentially feed a clean track into the PC (Daw). If you move the "usb" box at the end, you will record your whole signal.

guitar->inside the GT-001)compr->Marshall stack sim->speaker sim->reverb->usb(out of the GT-001)->headphones

The idea is if you want to capture your guitar clean and tweak with the sound later in mixing stage, either in software or to bus it back to the GT-001 and change your patch tones. This technique is called reamping.

Not necessary to do, but opens up tons of other options, like I don't like the Boss speaker emulation, then I just add my speaker IR choices in the DAW and bypass the speakers on the Boss.
Wow that's really cool! Thanks alot for the long post - had no idea it could do that. So you can monitor real time through the GT-001, and not hear the direct guitar but the effected signal?

Can any audio interface do that?
Eg :

Apologies if I'm being stupid
Last edited by Zoofiee at Jun 12, 2016,
Here are some articles on that:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/how-to/1255/how-to-integrate-hardware-effects-with-your-daw/48684

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sonar-integrating-external-hardware-your-daw

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/using-external-audio-ableton-live

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/how-to-use-hardware-inserts-in-your-daw-607814

Some of these are on different DAWs but it is essentially the same theory.

If you're talking the Boss GT-001 with USB interface built in, you can use that as reamper virtually, I did it with my GT-10 and it works great.
It is described in the manual of the unit.
Quote by Zoofiee

Which you personally choose?

I've chosen, sometime back, and it was a Pod XT back then. Currently running an old Axe FX Ultra, a Helix and a Pod HD500.
I just don't care to cart around a computer AND interface cabling if I want to leave the room. With a Pod XT bean, you're putting about $87 at risk. My MacBook Pro ain't going to risk hitting the floor just to practice guitar.