So I'll cut right to the question. I want to play the song linked below, but I just can't figure out how to nail that alternate picked riff.

My main issue is the actual note groupings, how do I avoid playing more or less notes than what is correct? At that speed it just seems impossible to keep track of how many times I've played one note on one string. But at the same time, wildly alternate picking and hoping I'm not out of sync doesn't seem like a good idea either. Any tips?

The song in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfpWDOzE5nM
Quote by Cheeseshark
My main issue is the actual note groupings, how do I avoid playing more or less notes than what is correct? At that speed it just seems impossible to keep track of how many times I've played one note on one string. But at the same time, wildly alternate picking and hoping I'm not out of sync doesn't seem like a good idea either. Any tips?

So for me, the key here is to get it such that you have a good feel for the note groupings in question. I don't believe you should have to count every single note, nor should you have to count within a group. You should be able to know how to hit certain rhythmic groups consistently without thinking about it. This is generally going to be multiples of 2 and 3 (8ths, triplets, 16ths, sextuplets), because they're the most common.

I think one of the best ways of going about this is to make sure that you practice rhythms on their own, and make sure you're accenting on the beat.

For example, say you want to work on 16ths, you should play any single note with a metronome, 4 notes per beat, and make sure you accent on the first note of each grouping. Make sure you also put emphasis on making sure the notes are evenly spaced.

Also, this is something you should probably start doing at a mid pace; something you're really comfortable with physically but that doesn't feel overly slow. It's pretty well known that as you slow down, getting evenly spaced notes and making sure you're on the beat is actually harder, since there are fewer things to get a frame of reference from. So I'd say set your metronome to somewhere about 90-100 for initial practice and get yourself really comfortable with accenting and staying properly in time there.

Again, just to restate: the aim here is to get comfortable with knowing what different note groupings feel like, by using accents to make sure you know how many notes you've played. If you think you've got a better way of doing that then go ahead, but the accenting is what will really give you a feel for different note groupings.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.