Hello everyone, I found a cheap Les Paul copy online, it says made in japan in the neck plate, but the quality of the pics is really poor and I can't read what the headstock says and I'm not familiarized with the logo, maybe one of you could identify the brand. the body seems to be made of wood and not plywood, which is good I suppose. Here are the pics:

Thank you all so much for any kind of help!.
This should be in electric guitars but I see you already have a duplicate thread
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The closest Japanese name I can find that looks like the name on the headstock is Greco. Something close to the 1978 Greco EG800 or 1970 Greco EG-480.

By the way, how's the below-the-bridge thingamijig that holds the ball ends staying in place? Mine falls off if you remove all the strings. Scared the hell out of me too (turns out that's how it works), so now I string them one-by-one.
Quote by Spinnerweb
The closest Japanese name I can find that looks like the name on the headstock is Greco. Something close to the 1978 Greco EG800 or 1970 Greco EG-480.

By the way, how's the below-the-bridge thingamijig that holds the ball ends staying in place? Mine falls off if you remove all the strings. Scared the hell out of me too (turns out that's how it works), so now I string them one-by-one.

The name on the headstock starts with an s. Not a G

The 2 Greco guitars you listed are a bit different to the OP guitar. Different construction (you listed a set neck one) and hardware for one. Even the truss rod cover style and headstock shape are different from the looks of it.

They're held by the strings. For the picture the seller is just putting it on upside down so it will stay.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 12, 2016,
Quote by Spinnerweb
Sorry. Looked like a fancy g to me :P

It's cool. I can see how you would get that. I mean it's possible that it could be similar to a 480 but I don't think it's a Greco.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The headstock and styling of the logo is nothing like I have seen from Gibson. You can also tell it's a fake by observing the two screws on the bottom of the truss rod cover. IIRC, Gibsons only have one screw at the bottom in the center there. So we can rule out that it's definitely not a Gibson Les Paul.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 12, 2016,
Quote by Fat Lard
The headstock and styling of the logo is nothing like I have seen from Gibson. You can also tell it's a fake by observing the two screws on the bottom of the truss rod cover. IIRC, Gibsons only have one screw at the bottom in the center there.

He is not asking if it's a Gibson and we've already established that it's probably an older MIJ.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Ah, okay.

On second glance, you can tell that the body of the guitar doesn't look like it was based on an RG one at all. It's made in Japan, but the lack of the 3-5 way selector switch on the face of the body is making me think that it's not an Ibanez at all
are we sure it's actually a guitar at all?

it doesn't have any strings on it and i thought guitars had those
I'll be honest, it's the worst MIJ Hammond Organ copy I've ever seen. I can tell from the pixels.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I'm guessing its something made to be sold in department stores. I cant read it , but I'm gonna say it says Studio

don't even know if I trust that made in japan tag
As a general rule, if it's an LP with a bolt-on neck, it is fairly safe to assume that the quality of the guitar will not be the greatest.

It looks like he put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge at one point.

I'd be skeptical as to why the guitar is missing its tuners and it hasn't been strung. That could be an indication that something is very much wrong with this guitar. Perhaps the old tuners broke because they were poorly made and figured it wasn't worth putting money into it to get some new tuners. So he figured it would be more economical to sell the guitar and let someone else deal with the problem.
Quote by mattedbird

don't even know if I trust that made in japan tag

It probably is made in Japan. It's just that this guitar was made before marketing associated Japanese manufacturing being of good quality.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 12, 2016,
Here's a question
Why isn't there a close-up of the logo on the headstock?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
Here's a question
Why isn't there a close-up of the logo on the headstock?

Hi, the mistery is solved!, it's a Stagg, one of those from the lawsuit era (mid 70's)

That thing on the middle is a sticker that the owner put there, it isn't a logo, the real logo is the one that says "stagg". It doesn't has the tuners because they are really shitty (those with trapezoid shape, early-squier style). But he gives the guitar with the old set of tuners plus a new set of tuners which he didn't installed because the headstock needs new holes for the screws.

Since I don't find concrete information online, my only question now is how good the guitar is, how good or bad the construction is, does it worth anything?.
They aren't really that great and they for sure aren't worth much.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
My first guitar was a Stagg Flying V copy. That guitar was the cause of so much misery and frustration. It was a complete turd.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
My first guitar was a Stagg Flying V copy. That guitar was the cause of so much misery and frustration. It was a complete turd.

I touched a Stagg once, and I think I caught being shitty from it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by UltimateGuizar at #34006575
Its a wes paur

looks to be a Stagg, of the Les Paul variety

did you really need to make this thread?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I touched a Stagg once, and I think I caught being shitty from it.

The Stagg that you touched is not the same brand I posted. The current Stagg guitars are made in china, the old japanese Staggs were made between 1970-80, aparently from the same factory that made the early Ibanez guitars: http://vintagestagg.altervista.org/1332/index.html Those old Staggs aparently were well made instruments, their 70's Strats looked really nice:

I think i'm gonna buy the LP and restore it.

Quote by MeGaDeth2314

did you really need to make this thread?

Yes, I didn't know which brand it was. One user helped me to identify it and the history of the brand.
Last edited by FatalityX at Jun 13, 2016,
they probably were much better back in the 70s

the one in the picture looks of reasonable quality, i'm sure it will be as good as any modern epiphone
Quote by kalypto
they probably were much better back in the 70s

the one in the picture looks of reasonable quality, i'm sure it will be as good as any modern epiphone

If you're talking about something like the Les Paul 100, maybe. But any better than that? Doubtful.

Any Les Paul copy that has a bolt-on neck is a bolt-on for only 1 reason: It's very cheap. Which is really saying a lot because there isn't much money required to sink into the manufacturing process to make a guitar like an LP have a glued-in neck as opposed to a bolt-on.

If they're willing to skimp on something that really doesn't cost a whole lot of money to do in the first place, then that doesn't speak well for the rest of the guitar being of decent quality either.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
wtf I didn't write that

What the hell is UG doing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru