Most likely a used mim around $300. Anybody have any experience with the classic vibes? I've heard they can be just as good if not better. I'd like to know what you guys think. The other option could be zzzounds, maybe a American special but 12 months is a pretty long commitment. Thanks in advance.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
When I had this itch I ended up with a MIM Strat in 2-tone burst with a Fender HSC for $230 from Guitar Center Used.

Mine has medium frets, I think I'm spoiled with the Jumbos on my Jacksons, ESP, and LTD!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
When I had this itch I ended up with a MIM Strat in 2-tone burst with a Fender HSC for $230 from Guitar Center Used.

Mine has medium frets, I think I'm spoiled with the Jumbos on my Jacksons, ESP, and LTD!

I made the same mistake with an Ibanez I got. Lovely guitar but I neglected to see what size frets it had before I bought it. Huge mistake, I found out real fast I do not like medium frets, too late now though. Lesson learned, I always check now first thing.
the CVs are decent guitars and some do like them better than MIMs. the one thing to be aware of with the CVs is that the necks have a finish on them and in the case of maple fingerboard that has a finish on it as well. this can feel rather slippery. because of this I personally don't really care for them.

with the MIMs try to get one made from 2006 and up as they have the bigger frets and a couple of other improvements (if fret size isn't issue then not as big a deal). I highly recommend playing both guitars t see what suites you better. the CVs do have alnico pickups whereas the MIMs have ceramics.
I haven't played any Classic Vibe series stuff, but I do own a Vintage Modified 5-string Jazz bass (VM being the other high end line of Squier), and I can say it definitely feels and sounds like a spendier instrument than it really was. Fairly similar to a MIM bass I played on some years back.

That being said, used MIM strats can be found for $300 (and sometimes a bit less) all day on craigslist. Shops get them in from time to time as well, but sometimes want more. Bear in mind that you'd likely be able to sell the used MIM strat for what you buy it for, but you wouldn't be able to get as much for a Squier, even a nicer one like CV/VM stuff. Just something to keep in mind if the resale value is important to you.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 13, 2016,
thanks man, that carvin looks awesome.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
After comparing the classic vibe and mim, I like the classic vibe alot better. But I loved the Hendrix way more than both. I loved the wider neck on that.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress at #34007810
After comparing the classic vibe and mim, I like the classic vibe alot better. But I loved the Hendrix way more than both. I loved the wider neck on that.

What wider neck are you talking about? All 3 of them are 42mm at the nut and have similar neck shapes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It felt wider to me maybe it's the thickness of the neck. I enjoyed that neck the most any strat I played.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
It felt wider to me maybe it's the thickness of the neck. I enjoyed that neck the most any strat I played.

actually the neck on that model is a little bit thicker than the modern C found on most current Fender strats. played one the other day.
Thicker yes, wider no.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My mistake. Zzzounds has it which is cool
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thicker yes, wider no.

is the string spacing the same? maybe that was it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thicker yes, wider no.

is the string spacing the same? maybe that was it.

The only thing that is different is the thickness. String spacing is the same.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ah, my bad, thanks for the correction.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The Hendrix model has a more vintage style C profile and is a bit thicker compared to the modern C profile which is a slimmer feel. You probably prefer thicker necks. String spacing and width of the neck are all the same between the MIM/Hendrix/CV though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
one thing i was thinking, is the hendrix is amazing, but itd also but cool to have a mim standard because it would fun to mod and craft it in my own style.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
the one thing i really dont like about the squier is it just seems small compared to the mim, which i think i read the body and neck is smaller.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Where are you reading these things by the way? They list the actual specs on Fender's website.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
just forum posts n shit. i wish my local gc would have had a dave murray and american special to try but no dice. ive been reading alot of different posts on different forums about the comparisons.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I went through the same process of getting a new Strat and I ended up ordering a Squire CV 60's Strat. Yes it is smaller than a MIM Strat but only 1/4 inch. I seriously doubt I could tell the difference without both guitars next to one another. So anyway, that is what I did for what it is worth.
awesome, i loved the one i played, i wonder if the kirk hammett pickguard would be a direct drop it, i plan on adding that to the strat i do buy, so i most likely wont end up with the hendrix. ive pretty much narrowed it down to a mim or the classic vibe.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Maybe look for a hwy1? I loved the ones that I played in the past.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'll check into it, first I'm gonna see if zzounds will approve me forca has special. Never tried to get anything that expensive so I'll see.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ended up ordering an American special and a emg Kirk Hammett pickguard.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah im stoked. probably the nicest guitar ive ever bought.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A