My Uncle surprise gifted me a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce. I am playing shows at bars and smaller venues, nothing huge, so I assume I should be keeping it on the 50 watt? I have never played with a tube amp before, and would not have been able to afford the amp head myself if it was not for him. For the mean time, I would like to buy a cheaper cabinet just to start playing with it and save up for another really nice cabinet as I play larger shows in the future. Any recommendations what cab to start with? Something cheaper and smaller, as I assume I dont need much size right now.

Thanks
I want a uncle like yours

Size doesn't matter. You can just mic your amp thought the PA.
So i say buy a really good medium sized cab, also it's a lot easier moving around.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Jun 13, 2016,
Quote by Ippon
212 with Vintage 30s.

This. Or even a 1x12. Vintage 30's are never a bad choice.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by colinromusic3
My Uncle surprise gifted me a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce. I am playing shows at bars and smaller venues, nothing huge, so I assume I should be keeping it on the 50 watt? I have never played with a tube amp before, and would not have been able to afford the amp head myself if it was not for him. For the mean time, I would like to buy a cheaper cabinet just to start playing with it and save up for another really nice cabinet as I play larger shows in the future. Any recommendations what cab to start with? Something cheaper and smaller, as I assume I dont need much size right now.

Thanks

Get a 1x12 mesa cab - used.
My recommendation is to avoid getting a 2x12 - it's unnecessary and you'll regret having to lug it around - a 1x12 is more than enough for any situation, especially mid to small venues.
Thanks for quick responses. I think I will go for a 1x12 because we are at that point where moving equipment all the time is a pain and we dont have much room as it is, plus I dont have to go full blast volume for the sized shows right now. As for the Cab I am saving up for, sounds like to go with a Mesa Boogie. I will try things out though and experiment with different ones. Sorry for my noob question, I am new with equipment, but can you explain v30's? Is it a brand or a type of speaker/amp? Or a Mesa cab model? And also, any brand can work as long as the Ohms match up, right? Can the Ohms of the one of them , like the amp head or cab, be less than the other?
Last edited by colinromusic3 at Jun 13, 2016,
it has two 4ohm and two 8ohm outputs on the back.
Last edited by colinromusic3 at Jun 13, 2016,
Quote by colinromusic3
Thanks for quick responses. I think I will go for a 1x12 because we are at that point where moving equipment all the time is a pain and we dont have much room as it is, plus I dont have to go full blast volume for the sized shows right now. As for the Cab I am saving up for, sounds like to go with a Mesa Boogie. I will try things out though and experiment with different ones. Sorry for my noob question, I am new with equipment, but can you explain v30's? Is it a brand or a type of speaker/amp? Or a Mesa cab model? And also, any brand can work as long as the Ohms match up, right? Can the Ohms of the one of them , like the amp head or cab, be less than the other?

I have a Lonestar Special 1x12 and the speaker is amazing - they sell a 1x12 Lonestar cab, and regular Celestion cabs as well. I'm sure they are all good.
V30 is in reference to a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

Generally you want the cabinet ohms to match the head output so you would want your cab to be rated 8ohms, however you can mismatch, if you find the manual online MESA usually has a section showing what safe mis-matches are possible, IIRC your head should be fine as long as the speaker ohms meet or exceed the head i.e. if you cab is 16ohm plugged into an 8ohm out on your amp you should be fine.
I bought a Stiletto 1x12 cab with my Ace with the Mesa version of the v30. It's a well built, sturdy cab that's relatively light. I also have a Peavey Bandit 1x12 extension cab I put a Celestion g12h100 in. It's a little bigger and heavier than the Mesa cab but I prefer the tone. YMMV but both of these are good options. If you get a cab and don't like the tone it's easy enough to swap the speaker out in a 1x12.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Thanks for the advice. Can it connect into an amp? I have a Carvin sx-200 with a 8ohm and 16ohm switch, but it is 100watts. I am also a little confused on which output to use. Like i said, there are two 8ohms and two 16ohms. Lets say I got a cab that was 16ohms, which output would I plug it into?
Also make sure to use a proper speaker cable to connect the head and cab not a regular guitar jack.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
you want the speaker wattage to at least equal the output from the amp head, if you can't find a 'pre-made' cab to meet your needs, just gen an enclosure and order your own speaker to put in. There are a number of Eminence single speakers that are rated for 100W each or more, Legend V12, Man O War, Swamp Thang, Texas heat.
Thanks. I didnt know it would be difficult finding a nice cab.
Could I use my 150 watt Carvin sx-200 combo amp? It has a 4, 8, and 16 ohm switch. Im not sure if amps/combamps would work as a cabinet, but I guess it has a speaker in it. New at tihs and unsure
The thiele looks really nice! Mesa Boogie cabs are real expensive. Any recommendations of a good place to start looking?
Quote by colinromusic3
The thiele looks really nice! Mesa Boogie cabs are real expensive. Any recommendations of a good place to start looking?

Check your local CraigsList, eBay, and Reverb for used ones. Make sure they have the 200W EVM-12L or Black Shadow EVM-12L, not the C90s. This way, if you upgrade in the future to the 150W Triple Rec, a RoadKing II or Orange Thunderverb 200, you'll still be good.