Hi,

I would like to buy a new acoustic. At the moment i have a Seagull S6 Original, but i don't like the chunky neck and it is a little bit to big and boomy for me. I've been doing some research and it seems like an OM sized acoustic would be a good fit for me. But which one? I've been looking at some guitars including the Larrivee OM-03, the Martin 000X1AE and the Taylor GS Mini (cause i like the idea of a small body guitar). Some of the requirements are: NO electronics, NO Seagull guitar (i don't like the headstock), preferably an all solid wood guitar. I will mostly be playing fingerstyle blues and some Jack Johnson kinda stuff. What would your prefered guitar be?
I also play fingerpicked blues. Of those three, it would be the GS Mini, and having tried them I preferred the mellower tones of the mahogany-topped version to the one with a spruce top. Larrivee get mixed reports about their construction, and I'm not really a Martin fan, for historical reasons. I woud also be thinking about high-end Asian, like Eastman.
Quote by Tony Done
I also play fingerpicked blues. Of those three, it would be the GS Mini, and having tried them I preferred the mellower tones of the mahogany-topped version to the one with a spruce top. Larrivee get mixed reports about their construction, and I'm not really a Martin fan, for historical reasons. I woud also be thinking about high-end Asian, like Eastman.

Thanks for the answer. It doesn't have to be one of the three i mentioned, tough. I would like to hear which guitar you would choose out of any OM sized guitar available on the market.
I can't be of much help, because of limited experience here in Oz, and I also generally prefer dreads. I would be having a look at something like the Eastman E100M - adirondack/ mahogany. That has solid b&s, but it isn't something that bothers me at all for fingerpicking, because I don't want a big open sounds I want tight and moderately bright.

The Guild M-20 would also be worth a look.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 13, 2016,
all solid 000 from recording king. to my ear, their 000s are the best sounding guitars they make, and they're a really good value, too.

12 frets to the body
http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars/recording-king-ros-10-12-fret-000.htm

14 frets to the body
http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars/recording-king-ros-10-12-fret-000.htm
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!