My mate has been selling his own importer brand of MIC acoustics for a few months now. They are in the mid-to-high price ranges, and include a range of timbers in both laminated and solid, with solid cedar and spruce tops, with Martin and Maton/Gibson style headstocks. He has apparently been selling more waisted GA style than dreadnought. I really like them, and I've been wondering what kind of things he could do to separate them from the crowd a bit. For example, some ideas I've thought of are:

A Selmer-Macafferri style cutaway
A sound port (I've just been experimenting with these)
A Gibson Blues King style
A J-45 style with Gibson style sunburst

Que mas?

The manufacture seems well capable of fairly tricky stuff like belly and forearm bevels, and "front only" cutaways.
Quote by teleobrien
Make a guitar shaped like a dick. Next thread

Dude someone's been there, and dun dat........
Quote by Tony Done
<sigh> I should have know better.
What, did you have a temporary lapse in sanity and think you were posting at AGF?
Quote by TobusRex
Has anybody made a Wang Paul yet?
You just take a "Wangcaster", and cut the left nut off.....
I don't know the specific name or term for it but I
Know someone here will. I've always found the cutaway ibanez use on their acoustics beatiful and very eye catching. Someone here has a bourgeois(?) guitar with that style of cutaway.
Off the top of my head, I believe the sharp pointy cutaway is called a "Florentine" cutaway. The rounded style is called a "Venetian" cutaway. You may want to check to make certain I don't have them reversed.
I think that multi-scale fretboard is an option worth pursuing, if possible.

Archtops?

If I I'm correct in understanding what you mean with the front-only cutaway (I was going to suggest it before I reread your post and noticed it), that's of course a great opportunity to introduce eye-catching woods.

Are you looking more for "eye-catchers" or functionality?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Captaincranky
Dude someone's been there, and dun dat........

But you see Daddy Crank, I'm talkin about an ACOUSTIC Dick Guitar, that one's electric
All jokes aside, I think it'd be cool if he stained the wood, as opposed to just finishing it natural. I love the look of a good wood stain, but I don't see too many guitars with it (but that could just be me)
Quote by teleobrien
But you see Daddy Crank, I'm talkin about an ACOUSTIC Dick Guitar, that one's electric
Yeah but, here in the 21st century we have multi-effects pedals that can make it sound like an acoustic, yet play like an electric, and still look like a dick.

I'm wondering if they have an uncircumcised "Wangcaster", for those gentiles in the audience who choose not put their children under the sharpened rock....
Quote by teleobrien
All jokes aside, I think it'd be cool if he stained the wood, as opposed to just finishing it natural. I love the look of a good wood stain, but I don't see too many guitars with it (but that could just be me)

?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Thom1989
I don't know the specific name or term for it but I
Know someone here will. I've always found the cutaway ibanez use on their acoustics beatiful and very eye catching. Someone here has a bourgeois(?) guitar with that style of cutaway.

I have that Bourgeois, and I agree it is eye-catching. I didn't mention it because he's already doing in a "front-only" cutaway.
Thanks, I'll pass on the suggestions, eg multiscales (fan frets?) and archtops. The factory certainly seems to have the capability to do that kind of thing. I didn't press him for details, but it seems they aren't a big producer. However, they supply a lot of timber to other manufacturers.

Re functionality and form, it is either or both, anything to get the customers to try it. He is using the front and rear bevels, and the front-only cutaway for contrasting timbers.
Quote by Captaincranky
Yeah but, here in the 21st century we have multi-effects pedals that can make it sound like an acoustic, yet play like an electric, and still look like a dick.

I'm wondering if they have an uncircumcised "Wangcaster", for those gentiles in the audience who choose not put their children under the sharpened rock....

Of all people you should know that no matter what effect pedal you buy you can never truly replicate an acoustic. Plus an acoustic dick guitar would look different from an electric dick guitar, and OP was talking abut eye catching ACOUSTICS
Quote by teleobrien
Of all people you should know that no matter what effect pedal you buy you can never truly replicate an acoustic. Plus an acoustic dick guitar would look different from an electric dick guitar, and OP was talking abut eye catching ACOUSTICS
Verily, thou art leading me to the path of iniquity.....

Given the symmetrical nature of an acoustic, one would have to design a penile shaped example from a tea bagger's POV.

Now see what you've gone and done.

For your punishment, you have to listen to "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna 100 times..!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G333Is7VPOg

Besides, isn't everything that has happened after this post of yours:
Quote by teleobrien
Make a guitar shaped like a dick. Next thread
Irrelevant anyway?

FWIW, Jimmy Page used an acoustic 12 string on "Stairway", but a Gibby double neck on stage for the song. They didn't even have "multi-effect pedals" in those days, and the bulk of the audience couldn't tell the difference anyway.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 14, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
Off the top of my head, I believe the sharp pointy cutaway is called a "Florentine" cutaway. The rounded style is called a "Venetian" cutaway. You may want to check to make certain I don't have them reversed.

Yes, the florentine is the pointy one, but Thom is talking about a specific style of florentine:

My Bourgeois is similar, but on a Gibson-style slope D.

For some reason the image function didn't work.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 14, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
Yes, the florentine is the pointy one, but Thom is talking about a specific style of florentine:

My Bourgeois is similar, but on a Gibson-style slope D.

For some reason the image function didn't work.
Boy oh boy, if those Ibanez pieces of shit sounded anywhere near as good as they look......

I got you a picture of the lefty model.

Where have I seen that guitar before? Oh wait, there's one in my back bedroom stuffed in a gig bag, tuned down to D, and never played.
Quote by Captaincranky
Boy oh boy, if those Ibanez pieces of shit sounded anywhere near as good as they look......

I got you a picture of the lefty model.

Where have I seen that guitar before? Oh wait, there's one in my back bedroom stuffed in a gig bag, tuned down to D, and never played.

I returned mine after 3 days. I think I played all out 3 chords and immediately hated it, luckily it was damaged in transit so the return was no quibble. They make great ornaments or expensive fire wood. Shame really.
Quote by Thom1989
I returned mine after 3 days. I think I played all out 3 chords and immediately hated it, luckily it was damaged in transit so the return was no quibble. They make great ornaments or expensive fire wood. Shame really.

I agree with you and CC. I've played a few, not nice acoustically. Designed, I guess as a stage guitar. IOW, a hollow electric.

My Bourgeois sounds OK though.