I call the technique 'Hooking.' What you basically do is curve your wrist and put your pinky finger under the E (or E and B strings) string. After this just pick away.

This isn't very comfortable when playing single notes very quickly, however I've found it to be great when down-picking chords quickly (like in the chorus of That Was Just Your Life or the bar chord intro of St. Anger).

Feedback?
Quote by mantonnewtonsqu
This isn't very comfortable when playing single notes very quickly

There's the answer as far as I'm concerned. I'm of the opinion that you should be able to do everything you want to comfortably with the technique you use. That way you'll be able to fluidly switch between techniques as you want for getting different tones and such without having to make major adjustments.

Not saying you won't be able to make it work if you work hard and put in the practice, as long as you stay relaxed and make small enough movements, that's just my opinion on the matter!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.