Good Day!

I recently decided to finally buy a guitar and learn how to play it. I tried out an Epiphone Les Paul for a couple weeks and hated how fat the neck felt. I then Got a Jackson JS22 Dinky and really like that neck. The slimmer body is better too, but wasn't a huge deal like the neck. I only spent $200 on the guitar and am already at a point where I wish I would have gotten something a bit nicer to start with and am hoping for some suggestions. I put as much information as I could think of below, based on reading a bunch of other advice threads and what was needed to help those folks.

Amp: Fender Mustang I (V.2)
Styles/Bands: Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Early Rolling Stones, and Iron Butterfly
Budget: At, around, or below $500
Features: Slim Neck, Bridge Humbucker, Hardtail or Not-Shitty Trem, and I didn't like Active Pickups when I heard them myself, but I may not have been using them appropriately.
Limitations: I will have to shop at Guitar Center because I received some gift cards for there.

Thanks!
Bert
I would recommend looking into getting something used. Unless you really care about binding and finish, you can get a really nice axe for your budget. I am a big fan of Schecter, but they have thicker necks than a Jackson. The Ibanez RG series would fit what you are looking for. You could either get one new and then drop in different pick-ups if you didn't like the stock ones, or get one used with upgraded pick-ups.

I found my current schecter c-1 elite used online. The previous owner dropped in Dimarzio Fred and Joe pick-ups in it, and it's pretty awesome and I paid about $400 I think.
Look at the PRS SE series as well. The neck won't be quite as slim as your current guitar, but it will feel much slimmer than the Epiphone. The ones with a trem are decent, and will handle most anything you'd throw at them from your styles/bands list.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Look at the PRS SE series as well. The neck won't be quite as slim as your current guitar, but it will feel much slimmer than the Epiphone. The ones with a trem are decent, and will handle most anything you'd throw at them from your styles/bands list.

Definitely agree with this.

The PRS SEs are fantastic values. Caveat emptor, however - don't expect it to stay very well in tune with heavy trem use with the stock tuners. An upgrade at a later date to good quality locking tuners will make it fantastic.

Source: I have a PRS SE and did just that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 14, 2016,
Used Jackson Dinky DK2 is well within budget.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 14, 2016,
Quote by metalmingee
Used Jackson Dinky DK2 is well within budget.

+1 you should be able to find a used Japanese Charvel/Jackson in that price range and they are great guitars I have 5 MIJ Jacksons and 1 MIJ Charvel Fusion Custom I paid $300-$350 for all but one of them that I paid $500 in mint condition with original factory hard case, the rest are in excellent to near mint condition and for $350 one even came with the facory hard case.

Ibanez prestige are great also with the thin neck you are looking for but usually are a bit higher than your budget.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Thanks everyone. I am really focusing my efforts on the used market. I really like the feel and style of the Jackson's so far and am pretty excited to find something good. I am looking at some others too, but there are so many it is confusing. All the different model numbers and specifics. Once I see some that I think are good, I will put together a list for critiquing.

Thanks!
Bert