Hello guys so im a new member at this forum and all the threads with questions i ever created on this forum were never answered so this time i will put some examples of my problem.So i am a beginner 1,5 months of playing ,i have yamaha pacifica112v (guitar),laney lx120Twin (amp),alesis core 1 usb (interface).So when i try put my guitar into interface and my computer and guitar rig 5 or amplitube i get awful sound example- https://clyp.it/0gigqzzz. I have asio drivers and i tried different presets even tried other computer but still crappy sound...I dont know it might be guitar but i bought it new,on my amp sound is better but still i dont like it example- http://vocaroo.com/i/s1MqgXDIKTkm
i also saw people on youtube play with same interface and having nice sound ,so im so mad right now,i can finally play the cover i want but i definetly cant cover a song with my guitar sounding like that...Any help will do.Thanks
What are you using to hear the sound? (ie: headphones, monitors, etc.)
Last edited by gurg06 at Jun 14, 2016,
headphones from interface phone jack
Last edited by alonkzz at Jun 14, 2016,
listened to your clip, honestly I think you just need to learn how to EQ a bit better. If you're trying to record stuff, look into double tracking your guitar - playing the same part twice(not copied and pasted) then panning one left and one right. double tracked guitars always sound better than a single center panned guitar, at least for distorted rhythm parts anyways. Try using less gain as well.
Yea im very new to this stuff,thanks i will try to do that maybe it will work .Maybe other suggestions guys?
Honestly that was not near as bad as I thought it would be. It's a nice start for a tone on that setup.

Suggestions: 1. tune your guitar 2. try to minimize noise (use good cables, check if you can use properly grounded electronics, EQ excess mids out, use a tad less gain) 3. "Fix it in post" - even with a tone like that, you can get good results with double tracking, post-EQ and a full mix with bass etc.

You could look up some EQ and tone tutorials on YT, might get good tips.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Honestly that was not near as bad as I thought it would be. It's a nice start for a tone on that setup.

Suggestions: 1. tune your guitar 2. try to minimize noise (use good cables, check if you can use properly grounded electronics, EQ excess mids out, use a tad less gain) 3. "Fix it in post" - even with a tone like that, you can get good results with double tracking, post-EQ and a full mix with bass etc.

You could look up some EQ and tone tutorials on YT, might get good tips.

It isnt that bad? Well maybe i expected too much i mean i saw this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFv7pTzznw he uses same interface and just guitar and pc do you think i can get similar quality with the your suggestions? Thanks for reply btw
Last edited by alonkzz at Jun 14, 2016,
Another question. Will di box improve my sound if i get one? guitar--->di box--->interface---->pc reaper (amplitube 3)
try putting your gate up to the middle on your guitar rig 5, not to the right side because that can make the guitar make a lot of noise, see if that reduces the interfierence
yea i mean the threshold removes unwanted background sound but when playing still unclear
Sounds like you just need to do some experimenting. Do you have a proper mic for the amp? That Vocaroo clip just sounded like a computer mic, so you are picking up a lot of the room sound which (in that room) sounds bad. Close micing the amp then sending that to the interface and then directly recording into the DAW would give you a much better result.

What pickup were you using for the vocaroo clip? If you were using a single coil, that was probably the source of the noise. Try the bridge pickup (humbucker).
Quote by Will Lane
Sounds like you just need to do some experimenting. Do you have a proper mic for the amp? That Vocaroo clip just sounded like a computer mic, so you are picking up a lot of the room sound which (in that room) sounds bad. Close micing the amp then sending that to the interface and then directly recording into the DAW would give you a much better result.

What pickup were you using for the vocaroo clip? If you were using a single coil, that was probably the source of the noise. Try the bridge pickup (humbucker).

Yea lol it was computer mic,i actually found out that my amp was humming becouse i was playing near the pc and when i walked away from it guitar sounded better ,its sound pretty good actually ,damn my alesis core 1 cant really handle mics its just guitar.Idk about pickups man my switch just was all the way to the right (thats how i always play it )
Quote by alonkzz
Yea lol it was computer mic,i actually found out that my amp was humming becouse i was playing near the pc and when i walked away from it guitar sounded better ,its sound pretty good actually ,damn my alesis core 1 cant really handle mics its just guitar.Idk about pickups man my switch just was all the way to the right (thats how i always play it )
All the way to the right? Presuming you are right handed, that selects the Humbucker pickup. The Humbucker is the big pickup, the Single Coils are the small ones. Electromagnetic Interference (like from your computer, lights, cell phone, etc.) can get in your signal through your pickups so you need to be mindful of that. Humbuckers do a better job of cancelling noise from EMI, Single Coils are very noisy.

That is no fun that the Alesis can't take Mics! Maybe look into getting a better interface. The Mackie Onyx Blackjack and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 are two good units.
Quote by Will Lane
All the way to the right? Presuming you are right handed, that selects the Humbucker pickup. The Humbucker is the big pickup, the Single Coils are the small ones. Electromagnetic Interference (like from your computer, lights, cell phone, etc.) can get in your signal through your pickups so you need to be mindful of that. Humbuckers do a better job of cancelling noise from EMI, Single Coils are very noisy.

That is no fun that the Alesis can't take Mics! Maybe look into getting a better interface. The Mackie Onyx Blackjack and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 are two good units.

would a di box help tho?
Quote by alonkzz
would a di box help tho?

If you have a half decent interface you won't need a DI box. If you are starting out then the 2i2 will be plenty good enough.

If it helps your understanding a bit more, an interface basically has a DI box and preamp all built into one unit. Theoretically if you buy a crap interface then yes buying a good DI box will get you a better sound but really there's no reason to do that when you can just buy a half decent interface. I have never used the Alesis that you have so I can't really comment but looking at the price I am guessing it isn't great.

The money you would spend on a DI box to improve the Alesis would likely be better spent on a better interface.
@OP - listened to your amp's live clip and the other clip did play.

From what I could hear from the amp, it sounded like the guitar wasn't properly set up and tuned, wrong action height, intonation, probably old strings.
The amp sound wasn't very good either.

I'd suggest at this stage to take your guitar in a shop and buy good strings, if you don't change often maybe even higher end strings like Tomastik Infeld or just pick a brand like say Dimarzio or Ernie Ball if Tomastic are too expensive. Get the guitar to a luthier for a proper setup, once you get that right continue using the same string and change them yourself.

From what I heard I also think that time might be better spent for lessons than whatever else you're doing, but that's my 2c.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 27, 2016,