Hey guys I need some help. I have a Jackson Rhoads with a licensed Floyd Rose and I changed to different size strings. It's all sorts of fucked up and jacked up super high to the point where I can't even recognize what is going on anymore.

I had to make some small adjustments on another guitar of mine to replace it with heavier strings and I got it without much hassle. Im in a situation with this guitar where I don't know whats going on. The only way the bridge is flush is if I loosen up the strings where they don't hold any tune.
Last edited by thebeatmaster at Jun 14, 2016,
you can't just change sting guage or tunings with Floyd roses. anything that affects the string tension will throw it off
Like you said, you've increased the string size. As a result you've made the bridge imbalanced, with the strings having more tension than the springs.

What you need to do is take the plate off the back of the guitar. Once done you need to increase the tension in the springs, get a screw-driver and screw the anchor further into the wood. Small adjustments are your friend, do it half a screw-turn at a time. Depending on the string size you've changed to you may need to increase the number of springs in the back, this number should usually be 3-5 springs. If you've "fully" screwed the anchor screws in then you'll need more springs.

Once you've made your adjustment retune it, it may be worth tuning the guitar to be slightly below-tune to speed up this process. Repeat until the bridge is parallel with the body and it holds its tune well. This could take you an hour so get settled in.

Hope this helps
Last edited by thes50 at Jun 14, 2016,
Quote by thes50
, it may be worth tuning the guitar to be slightly below-tune to speed up this process. Repeat until the bridge is parallel with the body and it holds its tune well. This could take you an hour so get settled in.Hope this helps

+1 be sure to tune the strings down before adjusting the spring tension if not when you the increase spring tension the strings will become sharp and this will increase the time it takes to get your guitar in tune and the tremolo floating properly. It will take awhile anyway so be prepared. If you don't think you are up to the task take the guitar to a local tech and have them set it up for you, Floyds can be very frustrating if you don't have experience with them.

If you decide to takle it yourself (recommended so you learn) check out this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The easiest way to rebalance a Floyd is to block it parallel, tune to pitch, and then balance it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.