Can anyone recommend any guitar models out there for metal with bridge distortion. For a Marshall DSL. Mid-range budget.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Distortion primarily comes from your amp and pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Dude you have the same post open right now and we still don't quite get what you mean.

A) A guitar with a bridge pickup that will mix well with your amp while distorted or kick more distortion into the amp? Like, won't be muddy, indistinct, etc.?

B) A guitar that comes with a bridge pickup with "distortion" in its name? Like, the Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio Super Distortion? Because both will mix well with that amp and guitar.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 14, 2016,
B

The other post was too narrow.

I have been reading mostly about custom stuff but am looking for actual metal guitar series with these kinds already in.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Just have a tech install one
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
OHHHHHH I get you now, my bad. Just read up on it, you want a Duncan Distortion equipped guitar.

Charvel So-Cal, Jackson Pro King V KV, Jackson Pro Soloist SL2M. Those all go about 900 new but play your cards and it's 500 used.

ESP Michael Wilton now comes stock with SH-6, SH-1m. New $700 I believe
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 14, 2016,
I'm not sure if there are any guitars out there with them stock, but the Bare Knuckles Nailbomb blows the Duncan Distortion out of the water. The Epiphone Annihilation V is a decent guitar. It might be worth it to toss a Bare Knuckles Nailbomb in the bridge and call it a day.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Additional info:

My guitar has basically blues type humbuckers for 80s metal. Great.

However I need a growler for standard C stuff like doom metal.

I have been reading about guitarists talking about bridge distortion pickups. I think this is what I need in a new guitar. I'd like one that's already designed with one in mind as opposed to a custom one.
Jackson has a Duncan Distortion stock in some of their Pro line currently and I think some Schecters as well but I'm not too familiar with those.

Swapping pickups is pretty easy however. I would get a guitar with things you can't change (or at least not easy) like neck shape profile, neck thickness, fret size, scale length, control layout, etc.

Then if you don't like the bridge pickup swap it. I got my Duncan Distortion as an open box killer deal on eBay.

I basically learned to solder swapping my own pickups in and out.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Duncan distortion equipped sounds right. What are other pickups like it? Thanks as well for the tip on the nail pickup.
Maybe I'm being lazy because I true bypassed my Dunlop wah so soldering isn't a problem.
I mean if you do both 80's stuff and current metal and want different tunings then Sure I'd say get one of the guitars suggested and downtune it. It's basically what I just did.

If you are going to primarily do modern drop tune stuff then just switch the pickup.
You can goto pickups companies websites and it'll help you choose one.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I see what you mean. Thanks. I am getting the picture
Buy the guitar that you like the feel of. Pickups are simple to change. None of my guitars have their original pups. Well, apart from the one I had custom built for me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy the guitar that you like the feel of. Pickups are simple to change. None of my guitars have their original pups. Well, apart from the one I had custom built for me.

+1.

Pickups take roughly 15 minutes to change.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oneblackened

I believe so. The thing is when I got my guitar, the Epiphone, I asked them to take out the pick ups and put in some EMG's. They told me that these Epiphones came with Gibson pickups (it was after the economic collapse so Epiphone were giving people a reason to buy them) so I checked the spec and yep, American wound custom Gibson pickups from the parent company, and kept them. Got that 80s metal tone on a Marshall. Happy Larry.

I don't want to make that possible mistake again buy getting a good guitar and then saying put some bridge distortion into that only to find the original pickups already had something pretty close, or even better, than what I wanted. It's just about being informed I suppose.

Thanks for all the info again.
Deermonic

Dude, the pickups in your Annihilation V should be capable of metal no problem. I have spent a lot of time playing one of those guitars and that was actually one thing I was very impressed with -- an Epiphone that came with decent pickups. I play death, thrash, and black metal and I had no problem getting those tones out of that guitar (played it through a Mesa Royal Atlantic every time I went to the store), and I wasn't even boosting it with an OD pedal. It makes me think that maybe your amp is not doing the job you want it to -- though a DSL boosted with a TS-9 should get into at least thrash metal territory no problem.

Anyway, you could change your bridge pickup easily enough. It could very well be that you prefer a Duncan Distortion. But I wouldn't expect a huge change in your tone. Pickups don't create a huge change in your tone the way a different amp or pedal will. Pickups are rated as low, medium, or high output (it's a bit more technical than that, which I won't get into). The pickups in your Annihilator are definitely medium if not "medium-high" in output. A Duncan Distortion is perhaps a bit higher in output -- but all that means is that it will hit your first preamp tube a bit harder, creating distortion a little earlier on the gain dial on your amp. However, this is not always a necessary thing -- especially if your amp can create a lot of gain to begin with. Sometimes, a medium output pickup used in conjunction with a boost pedal and a little higher gain setting on the amp can sound brutal as well, and give you a little better dynamic range.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
KailM

I won't change the pickups on Annihilation V. It is really good at thrash. It is what I wanted it for. However if I play something like the stuff you hear in this video, it does have a difference. It just doesn't have the same crunch sound, despite having same equipment. *this is not me the vid BTW*.

I also have a TS9 as well as the SD1. On the SD1 the gain isn't used as the amp does that in that vid if you read the comments.

I also have the SM57, same cab. Only difference is guitar and of course playing.
Then you should maybe check the specs before you buy it?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yes. It seems I can always custom if I can't find a suitable guitar. Will give it a shot.

However I am currently getting a BOSS GE 7 so maybe just shuffing the EQ around will help me get what I need, but shall see. I should have got a graphic equilizer a long time ago.
Well, most of the ESP/LTD/Edwards Gus G models have the Duncan Distortion in the bridge, stock. It's definitely a very metal guitar if you like those sorts of weird shapes, and also my favorite pickup, it's a good choice.
dragonzrmetal
Thanks. ESP have some nice stuff and their shapes are certainly fun for metal, unless you don't want spikes on your lap sitting down XD