I have a Dean Vendetta XM that currently sports its factory Dean pickups. After playing it for the first time in several years (it was my first guitar), I've finally come to the realization that the pickups are less than stellar. :P

Since the body is so light, would there be a significant change in tone by changing the pickups to let's say, Seymour Duncan Black Winters or even a SH6 set? It's an odd tonewood, so I haven't found much information about it. If I won't get a significant tonal change, then I don't want to drop $150+ on pickups.

If changing pickups will work, what would you recommend in a paulowina body/rosewood fretboard/maple neck guitar? I'm looking for a crushing metal tone (I particularly like the SD Blackouts in my Jackson RR3). I'm open to any suggestions other than EMGs (I've never played any I liked, either active or passive).

Thoughts?
The fact that it's made from Paulowina probably doesn't mean very much to the guitar's amplified tone at all. There will be a significant change when changing pickups though.

I wouldn't spend $150 on a set of pickups on a guitar like that. I'd get something from GFS which is far cheaper and they're still fairly decent.

Alternatively you could buy a set of pickups used if you want Duncans on the cheap.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The fact that it's made from Paulowina probably doesn't mean very much to the guitar's amplified tone at all. There will be a significant change when changing pickups though.

I wouldn't spend $150 on a set of pickups on a guitar like that. I'd get something from GFS which is far cheaper and they're still fairly decent.

Alternatively you could buy a set of pickups used if you want Duncans on the cheap.

Thanks for the advice! Since the guitar was my first guitar, it has sentimental value, so I don't mind dropping $150 on better pickups. It's not like I'm getting rid of the guitar, and it does play surprisingly well.
What wood the guitar is made from in terms of species makes no difference in tone, it is down to contruction and the properties of the individual pieces of wood themselves.

You can get 2 pieces of wood from the same tree that have different density, grain placement and severity and moisture content from eachother, these 2 pieces of wood would therefore (assuming that wood makes a difference at all to amplified guitar tone) sound completely different.

Don't worry about wood at all when it comes to pickups, just buy what you like the sound of.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb