Is it worth it to put Windows 10 on an old computer for recording with new software?

If I installed Windows 10 on an old pc. Duo core e8400 3ghz 4gb of ram... would it run smooth? I want to look into getting Studio One 3. But If I go and pay 150 bucks for Windows 10 and it doesn't even run properly there is no sense. I would rather not buy a new computer if I don't have to. I just want to record music. I can't have the pc crapping out on me or anything during the recording process. Especially since im trying to put together an album. Any advice is appreciated. I really wanna get the ball rolling on this album and finish it up before the end of 2016.
What operating system is currently on it? With those specs, I'd be more worried about the lack of power.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by reincarnator
What operating system is currently on it? With those specs, I'd be more worried about the lack of power.

Vista 32.
Never used windows 10, but windows 7 even is alot better than vista, vistas a piece of shit. it would be able to be put onto the specs that you say you have, just not sure about the recording side. i,m not sure why it would not record.
Windows 7 is a lot better for recording. If not mistaken Vista can also run Studio One, check S1's specs.

You can check your specs with this software:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Post back on here, and check Windows 7 specs to see if it is worth updating.

I am running stable Windows 7 with Studio One and won't upgrade in the near future, as there is nothing in Windows 10 that is worth upgrading from 7, actually the opposite.

If it is Vista 32 - might want to check manufacturer website to see that there are drivers for Win7. Some of these 32bit systems might need a 32bit upgrade to Win7 or Win10, there are still 32bit options.

from what I could see Studio One requires Windows 7 or up

How about Reaper? Tracktion? Those should run off of Windows Vista.

If you're unsure - you could test it by getting a Windows 7 installer and see how it fares, if it is good you can buy the license.
T4D

It's FREE? Where can I get it for free? Lol. I agree that Windows 10 is a bit annoying the way they designed it like a cell phone or ipad operating system. I hate that everything is an app and I have to click on squares but it is what it is. I thought hard about buying Windows 7 but theres a lot of guys out there selling Windows 7 taking advantage of it's rarity. Windows 10 is sold for 150 dollars at a retail store. Windows 7, you can find a copy online and these guys with a supply and demand mindset will charge you 300-400 bucks. And I say fuck that, because I can buy a laptop for 700 dollars. Though I don't really want to. I just spent a lot of money on new instruments.
to me windows 7 is the best OS, in my opinion, i hate vista and windows 8 and they tried to incorporate windows 7 and 8 together to make 10, never used 10 but if its anything like 8, I was like when i first used 8, I was tottally lost using it, but as for windows 10 is free i doubt that, alot of people use downloaded windows OS and a copy version of an OS, so to alot of people the free windows 10 don,t work.
I would try and upgrade, the best os I think would be windows 7. I do run windows 10 right now but I have a core i7 8gb ram and a nice video card so yea. with low specs I would say windows 7 as it probably one of the most optimized windows OS. a processor that weak will struggle with about any recording software, I had an i3 and It still struggled to keep up with simply 2 guitars, a bass, and drums, in FL studio witch is optimized pretty well. the more cores the better as most audio programs take a huge advantage of them. see if you could upgrade to something like an I5. its probably an older computer which refurb core i5s are very cheap and try and find your motherboard model if you can. if you are running xp you might not need to unless compatibility issues with your DAW are present, but vista yes probably you want to upgrade, vista is just cancer. you dont need lost of ram usually 4 is even fine. its all cpu intensive. just about any quad core cpu will do it.
thebeatmaster
Quote by thebeatmaster
T4D

It's FREE? Where can I get it for free? Lol. I agree that Windows 10 is a bit annoying the way they designed it like a cell phone or ipad operating system. I hate that everything is an app and I have to click on squares but it is what it is. I thought hard about buying Windows 7 but theres a lot of guys out there selling Windows 7 taking advantage of it's rarity. Windows 10 is sold for 150 dollars at a retail store. Windows 7, you can find a copy online and these guys with a supply and demand mindset will charge you 300-400 bucks. And I say fuck that, because I can buy a laptop for 700 dollars. Though I don't really want to. I just spent a lot of money on new instruments.

so sick on people posting BS here's a link to FREE windows 10 use your win 7 upwards serial and you have FULL windows 10 ( if your not using a legal Windows serial well it suck to be you ) https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

here's the link telling you it's free https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#upgrade

as for the mobile interface ??? are you joking ? that a comment from the windows 8 ?? such BS ?? windows loads straight into Desktop the start bar is YES totally different and is like a phone if you want to work that way but the desktop is the same as win7 or vista .. people love to post negative stuff even forgetting the facts or any experience.

Windows 10 also support more hardware then any OS ever,. in sound terms More audio Interfaces then XP, Vista and Win 7 combined !! plus it uses the hardware better.

(Not saying this to debate I saying this Because I've installed windows 10 to 20 ++ machines are work and home and have been happy eg- I now have my Casio weighted keyboard back in operation that didn't run in win 8 and have not had any issues )
alot of people don,t have the means to go out and buy a windows 10 legal copy, little privilege boy, judging by your guitar collection looks like your doing good, don,t come on here and bash people because they cannot afford a legit windows 10, such an asshole man.
some people like what they like I like windows 7, and some like windows 10, they guys just coming on here to see which is the better one to use.
7 is where it's at. I had a free 10 key and tried it. Its a nice os, but my computer is too old so my graphics card was useless and I would also hang while recording. That's with a core 2 quad 4 gigs ram and whatever nvidia graphics it was with a gig of video.

The computer is still kicking, so I went back to seven without issue. Just run ASIO drivers and you'll be fine.
Also studio one 3 works nice on 7. And so should work with vista, which with the service pack runs similar to 7.
ayreon77
Quote by ayreon77
alot of people don,t have the means to go out and buy a windows 10 legal copy, little privilege boy, judging by your guitar collection looks like your doing good, don,t come on here and bash people because they cannot afford a legit windows 10, such an asshole man.
some people like what they like I like windows 7, and some like windows 10, they guys just coming on here to see which is the better one to use.

dude read my post read my links I never said BUY anything if you have windows 7 (legally) you can upgrade to windows 10 FREE this is official Microsoft policy.

call me what you like, Use windows 7 if you want it's a good OS Cool but don;t BS about stuff you have not read about, Don;t have any experience in or don;t even spend 30 seconds to google to check the facts.

and dude your "little privilege boy" comment .. your arrogance could be the reason where you are in life dude, you have no idea where i started in life and I'm not the sort of person to post My life story to a loser on a forum to show how much there shit really does smell.