Hello guys,

I just got a Gibson Classic 57 pickup second hand. The seller told me it was put on the neck of his guitar, but I wanted to know if I could put this pickup on the bridge as well.

I have been reading something about this and it seems that they are interchangeable. ALso, on some online site I read the one they are selling says "for neck, bridge and middle positions". But I would like to be sure beacuase I dont have a "bridge" 57 pickup to compare with.

The pickup doesnt show any sign, like N or B.

The only number on a stick paper on the back of the pickup is 0626, besides a date an the usual "PATENT APPLIED FOR".

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
They're the same pickup. The only other version Gibson makes is the 57 Classic Plus, which I would think would be labeled as such, but I have no experience with them.

Either way, enjoy your pickup! Probably my favorite Gibson pickup.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Thanks FlightofIcarus!

I can't wait to replace my SD Designed (which I must say sound good) with the Gibson 57.
At first I bought the Classic 57 thinking of putting it on the neck and then a TV Jones on the bridge (for clearer tones) but then I realised that, when I play crunch or distortion tones, I use the bridge pickup 99% of the time because it gives that vigorous sound I like.

Also I think the TV Jones on the neck - even being less bright because of the pickup location - will still give clear tones enought to play open chords with a good "acoustic" twang tone.
In an LP Traditional Model the 57 goes in the neck and the 57+ goes in the bridge. Technically you can put a 57 in the bridge as well. I wouldn't recommend a 57+ in the neck though, the higher output would either really muddy the tone or you'd be backing off on the PU height.
The 57s are decent PUs they're one of Gibsons earlier attempts at a PAF style PU.
PAF styled PUs should have neck PU spacing as well whihc is generally one of the differences between the two PUs (neck & bridge) in the modern PUs where the bridge pU pole spacing is wider to align with the strings.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
In an LP Traditional Model the 57 goes in the neck and the 57+ goes in the bridge. Technically you can put a 57 in the bridge as well. I wouldn't recommend a 57+ in the neck though, the higher output would either really muddy the tone or you'd be backing off on the PU height.
The 57s are decent PUs they're one of Gibsons earlier attempts at a PAF style PU.
PAF styled PUs should have neck PU spacing as well whihc is generally one of the differences between the two PUs (neck & bridge) in the modern PUs where the bridge pU pole spacing is wider to align with the strings.

Thanks, I listened to some 57 in the bridge and they sounded good to me. My concern was about the sensitivity or the spacing in case it was different for bridge and neck.

I also could have bought some 59 Tribute which have pretty good opinions, but they sounded too burstbucker to me (too harsh). I think, the 57 Classic is a good choice for my first "quality" pickup (after some years of not even touching a guitar), and I love the Classic rock from late 60s and 70s so...

I hope the TV Jones works good also on the neck; I would have bought some Filtertron which are cheaper but it seems they dont sell them with the English humbucker mount option and this was a must as I don't want to modifiy my guitar body or lose too much time when installing it.
You may want to check the output (actually the resistance) of that pickup. Some '57s are hotter than others. I have a 9.2Kohm in the bridge of a couple of my LPs (no, it's not a "plus").

@KenG -- it isn't necessarily the higher output that muddies the tone. I have a DiMarzio Fast Track II (18Kohm or thereabouts) in the neck position of a couple of guitars. It's seriously louder than even the hot '57, both by virtue of the higher output and by being in the neck position. But it's a single-coil-size pickup (originally designed for the bridge of a super strat), and it turns out that the smaller form factor has the most influence on the muddiness of the tone in the neck position. Various factors involved, including phase and filtering issues and the size of the flux pattern. A lot of guitar players have liked the P90 in the neck position, but being able to use an even narrower pickup cleans things up surprisingly well.
Thanks for all the inputs guys.
I see there are different opinions. I just went to the Gibson official site and it says that the Classic 57 can go on both positions: http://store.gibson.com/57-classic-pickup/

As KenG said it seems that the specific PU for the bridge would be the Classic 57 Plus: http://store.gibson.com/57-classic-plus-pickup/

dspellman, the resistance is 7.99. I have read the Classic 57 value ranges from about 7.4 to 8.5.; so, I think it should work ok on the bridge, what do you think?

My only concern (now that you mentioned the output) is whether the TV Jones Classic on the neck will give enough output so that it is not "muted" (I mean covered up) by the Gibson 57 for example when playing both pickups together.
I just checked the TV Jones Classic resistance on its website and it says it is only 4K. The TV J Classic Plus is 7.8K but it is only indicated for the bridge.
I think I will send an email to them asking about a suitable combination because the Classic costs here $150.
Or if someone has set a similar configuration, it would be of great help also.

EDIT: Also, I am thinking of buying a Creamery Single-Coil Sonic Six for the neck (which have great reputation, at least in Europe) and I have been offered a new one at a reduced price; the output is 8.6k and, after reading some info about pickups balance, some people think that it is even better that the clean pickup yields a lower output as they use the humbucker for leading or getting a crunchy tone and then the single coil something more crystalline "quieter" (sorry English is not my first language). Further, you can always adjust volumes with the pickup heigths and just the pots as some say.