Hello all!
I'm Kaitlyn a 14 year old girl and I just started learning guitar last year and currently have a fender champion 10 amp but it doesn't have the settings i'd like for Paramore, Panic at the disco, escape the fate, etc, kinda songs. So my question: What is a good starter amp for punk/emo/rock/metal songs? nothing to exspensive because my parents are making me buy it and it's so hard to get money as a teenager! thank you!
-Kaitlyn
Hi, a Fender Mustang I, or if you can save a bit more, a Mustang II could work well for you. The Fuse software and the built in effects can help you get the sound/s you are looking for.
If you really want Punk/rock/emo/metal sounds, maybe look at a peavey Vypyr, too. The 20 watt VIP 1 is less than $150 new and will handle those tones better than the Fender.
The Fender will do fine, the peavey will do better for the crunchy distorted stuff.
Plus, if you ever decide to play bass too, you won't have to buy another amp.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by reichertmc
ryanbwags How is that punk/emo/metal?

How is what punk/emo/metal? That's how she described the sounds she wanted.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Hi again. I currently have a Champion 40 and have owned Mustangs I - III. I think for what you want, the Mustang 2 would work well because of its ability to create custom sounds with the Fuse software. The Champion is a good amp but does not have computer connectivity. I don't need that as I just use the clean channel/s. The Champion 40 and the Fender II are very close in price. You might also see if you can find a Fender G-DEC30. This amp has a number of extra features that you might like. Fender does not make them any more so you could find 1 used at a good price.
Marsden The Mustang 2 sounds pretty good. Quick question: does it make a weird buzz noise when you turn it up? becuase with my champion 10 it makes this really loud buzz noise when I bring up volum and espcialy the gain
A number of things can cause that. Sometimes it's a grounding issue. If you have a music store close by, see if you can try out one of the store's Champion 10s and see if you can replicate the noise you describe. If the store's Champ 10 does not, you eithet have a faulty amp or a grounding issue. If the amp is at fault, you may be able to get it repaired under warranty. And try a Mustang II while you are there. My Mustang II was fairly quiet but I did not ever really turn it up. Try before you buy - as you seem to know what you want your amp to do and sound like. Good luck with your search.
Check the Fender FUSE online community website for any already existing Presets created and uploaded by other Mustang users for the sounds, artists, songs you're looking for. If you have an Android Tablet or Smartphone the REMUDA App has features FUSE lacks, and adds lots of additional control functions to the Amp.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Quote by MusicLaw
Check the Fender FUSE online community website for any already existing Presets created and uploaded by other Mustang users for the sounds, artists, songs you're looking for. If you have an Android Tablet or Smartphone the REMUDA App has features FUSE lacks, and adds lots of additional control functions to the Amp.

thanks for the tip, my kids have this amp, i have a droid tablet, will test it out.