Page 1 of 5
Inspired by the Republican Lt. Governor of Utah giving this speech where he apologized for his past actions towards gay people:

Utah’s Republican Lt. Gov: Sorry for Past LGBT Treatment
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a45846/spencer-cox-orlando/

I'm here because, yesterday morning, 49 Americans were brutally murdered. And it made me sad. And it made me angry. And it made me confused. I'm here because those 49 people were gay. I'm here because it shouldn't matter. But I'm here because it does. I am not here to tell you that I know exactly what you are going through. I am not here to tell you that I feel your pain. I don't pretend to know the depths of what you are feeling right now. But I do know what it feels like to be scared. And I do know what it feels like to be sad. And I do know what it feels like to be rejected. And, more importantly, I know what it feels like to be loved. I grew up in a small town and went to a small rural high school. There were some kids in my class that were different. Sometimes I wasn't kind to them. I didn't know it at the time, but I know now that they were gay. I will forever regret not treating them with the kindness, dignity and respect — the love — that they deserved. For that, I sincerely and humbly apologize.

Over the intervening years, my heart has changed. It has changed because of you. It has changed because I have gotten to know many of you. You have been patient with me. You helped me learn the right letters of the alphabet in the right order even though you keep adding new ones. You have been kind to me. Jim Dabakis even told me I dressed nice once, even though I know he was lying. You have treated me with the kindness, dignity, and respect — the love — that I very often did NOT deserve. And it has made me love you.

I believe that we can all agree we have come a long way as a society when it comes to our acceptance and understanding of the LGBTQ community (did I get that right?). However, there has been something about this tragedy that has very much troubled me. I believe that there is a question, two questions actually, that each of us needs to ask ourselves in our heart of hearts. And I am speaking now to the straight community. How did you feel when you heard that 49 people had been gunned down by a self-proclaimed terrorist? That's the easy question. Here is the hard one: Did that feeling change when you found out the shooting was at a gay bar at 2 a.m. in the morning? If that feeling changed, then we are doing something wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_ZP2j74bY

Most people have probably made fun of gay people when we were young and stupid at least. Calling your friends gay or faggot because it was funny or whatever. How bad were you? Are you better now or do you still have tendencies to be a little homophobic? When you heard about the Orlando shooting and then found out it took place in a gay bar did it change the sympathy you had for the victims, or make you think twice or hesitate or anything?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I mean I use slurs once in a while. I won't deny that but honestly I don't really care who you want to fuck. It doesn't effect me in any way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've never used slurs against any LGBT group, and never will. Homophobia is much, much harder to adopt when since birth I've belonged to a family that was LGBT accepting and had multiple LGBT family members, and I'm also gay as fuck and proud of it. Not to mention I don't even spend time with homophobic people apart from UG, because all of my friends are LGBT and I live in a community that is very politically minded and focused on making things better for LGBT people.
If there is a God, it's me.
Not very

I occasionally double take at gay couples holding hands but then I'm just like "okay"
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

when i was younger and didn't really know any better i might have used gay as an insult

but i would definitely not use that kind of language now
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
1 or 2 circles of mixed preference friends have come to use one of the slurs as a term of endearment towards one another.

Socially or as a term of hatred or as a synnonym for stupid or negative? There's plenty of other words to use. I see no reason to discriminate against a person for having a bias towards a color, let alone an orientation or preference, let alone for activities which I'm not taking part.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
A gay guy at work (also the campest person I've ever met) who I'm sort of friends with waved at me across a car park today and another guy I'm sort of friends with remarked on it like it was some embarrassing thing.

I just replied "Eh, I've still got it"

Much as I'd sometimes like to I don't try and "re-educate" people who just regurgitate the backwards views they were raised on but I'm sure as hell not gonna play along with the joke. Like most people on here though I did used to associate homosexuality with negativity almost automatically but that was before I fully understood what it meant and just how common it was.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Indifferent. I don't care who does what in private, but it sometimes gets irksome how people expect you to spend your time and energy actively campaigning for something you aren't part of.
Not at all
I sat at the reject lunchtable my entire pre university career, we had to be allies

By senior year though a couple of them got to be token gay guys in some of the cool kid groups and were to good to talk to us which pissed us off
I have a gay friend
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
(it's banjocal)
i'm bi so basically all my friends are queer and the ones that aren't will change their minds eventually
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
this is probably the most useless thread ever because people who are LGBT basically don't qualify, and people who aren't will refuse to admit that they're homophobic.
Fact: about 75% of the males and 100% of everyone else on this site is gay or bi.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by qrEE
this is probably the most useless thread ever because people who are LGBT basically don't qualify, and people who aren't will refuse to admit that they're homophobic.
You'd be surprised. Some people are very open/honest about it. Which in some ways is commendable/useful.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by neidnarb11890
i never had sex with a man if that's what youre asking.

that was what i was asking thanks for your honesty
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Banjocal they are when they're really conservative. Among more moderate/liberal people, it's all about saving face, or being in outright denial about the idea. I've seen it. I've seen a friend of mine talk about how accepting he is of LGBT people to me directly, only a minute after having said really shitty things about LGBT people. What rare straight friends I have typically try to use me as an excuse for homophobia instead of an opportunity to learn how to not be a shitty person. I'm the gay friend they use when they say "I'm not homophobic, I have a gay friend!" and yet I'm usually the one telling them they're homophobic.
Quote by EyeNon15
Also highly disagree that anyone lgbt doesn't qualify
What of those rumours that the Orlando shooter was gay?
Well in that case it depends on where you draw the line between "man" and "not a man"
I grew up in a time when the slurs, and the hatred, were far more common than they are now and yes, I was no exception to my era.

But in regard to the current situation I can honestly say that it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. What happened was wrong, full stop, end of story.

Quote by Hydra150

It changes nothing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
qrEE
Ima avoid that chain of thought because my baseline is: cognitive dissonance is best eradicated where seen regardless of ideology.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Not really

I've used slurs but it was always in a saying something is "shitty" way and not "gays are lesser people" kind of thing. Never really thought much of them since it was just how everyone talked, and was just another swear word that were all used interchangably. One still slips out every now and then but I've tried to stop tbh

Quote by Trowzaa
Not very

I occasionally double take at gay couples holding hands but then I'm just like "okay"

yea
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Hydra150
Quote by EyeNon15

Yeh lots of openly gay adult men beat up the fairies in high school.
Also have seen a lot of homophia coming from transgender women SOME of them are coming from the standpoint of "I'm a woman, I have sex with heterosexual men I don't do gay guys., therefore im heterosexual and ur a fag"
I'm here because, yesterday morning, 49 Americans were brutally murdered. And it made me sad. And it made me angry. And it made me confused. I'm here because those 49 people were gay. I'm here because it shouldn't matter. But I'm here because it does. I am not here to tell you that I know exactly what you are going through. I am not here to tell you that I feel your pain. I don't pretend to know the depths of what you are feeling right now. But I do know what it feels like to be scared. And I do know what it feels like to be sad. And I do know what it feels like to be rejected.

I really hate this rhetorical device or whatever you call it where it keeps repeating like this. Even more than I hate fags.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EyeNon15

Yeah. There are LGB people that are transphobic, particularly towards people that are gender binary, and there is a large amount of biphobia/bi-erasure from the LG side as well.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't see how trans women saying they'll only have sex with straight men is homophobic??
Quote by qrEE
I don't see how trans women saying they'll only have sex with straight men is homophobic??

It's isnt.

Calling ppl faggots in a general attitude of disrespect is the homophobic part

Again I was careful to stress SOME, this is in no way an attempt to paint all transgender women as homophobic.
Most of the ones I've met and talked to were simply delightful people
The "homophobia" that comes from within the LGBT community is so much weaker than the homophobia that comes from the outside that the two kinds of homophobia might as well go by different terms altogether because they're very different things. Homophobia and transphobia can't exist without a system that's set up to create it. Our society places low value on LGBT people, and that's something that is perpetuated by straight, cis people. It's instilled into LGBT people by straight, cis people, which is where "internalized homophobia" "internalized transphobia" etc come into play. We're not born homophobic, everyone has homophobia forced onto them by the way society functions currently.

What I'm saying is, a dog with no teeth can still bite, but a dog with teeth can draw blood. In my bad analogy, the act of biting is homophobia, but the teeth is the position of power that makes homophobia a dangerous thing, and I don't categorize the two things as being one and the same.
Quote by theogonia777
There are LGB people that are transphobic, particularly towards people that are gender binary
is that meant to be who aren't gender binary or did you mean what you wrote? either way please elaborate as i'm pretty out of it on issues besides biphobia and people arguing about whether ace people count
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
I thought there was going to be a quiz.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
K33nbl4d3

I meant aren't gender binary (so people that are genderfluid, bigender, third gender, agender, genderqueer, or however else they identify). It's essentially akin to bi-erasure.
pretty awesome statement , especially coming from a politician in utah. props to him

i said gay, fag, homo through highschool. i haven't said any of them since then. faggot/fag was always uncomfortable for me though; i only used it when really really mad (not that that justifies it, but it wasn't a word i casually used).
superman is killing himself tonight
Page 1 of 5