Hey guys,

I've just got a pedalboard set up for my electric for my Mesa Boogie Lonestar special, but have noticed that my tone is sagging abit and losing some top end (especially when my crybaby is in the chain). So I think I need a buffer or a line driver, but which?

Here is the signal chain: Mesa fx send - MXR 10 band EQ - TC chorus - TC flashback - ISP Decimator G string - Mesa fx return
Mesa input - Boss CS2 (soon to be upgraded to keeley CS4 probs) - Ibanez TS9 - (maybe another OD to stack for a mid gain rhythm tone - any ideas?) - TC Polytune - ISP Decimator G string - Suhr Modern

Pedals are powered by Voodoo labs stuff.

I've also read conflicting reports about where to place a buffer - would I have it after the amp input (before my Comp), or after the tuner, or between the ISP and my guitar?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
No, you don't need a buffer. The tubescreamer is buffered, so is the Boss, and if the decimator is on, it's also buffering the signal. Plus the effects loop itself is buffered so anything in there is already being driven. More buffers don't add any value. The wah issue is because it has a shitty bypass. Get it converted to true bypass or get a different wah with TBP and you'll probably notice a big difference.

There are a bunch of buffers on your board already, so the issue (assuming it's the buffers) is that one or more of those buffers are crap, or are interacting with the others in an unpleasant way. Start with just one pedal plugged in and keep adding more until you notice the issue. At that point you have to decide if you want to modify the pedal, swap it for a different one, or live with it.
The TC Flashback you have features a buffer that you can turn on and off through a dip switch inside the pedal btw.

I'm not sure why you're putting your tuner in the middle of your input chain though. Intuitively I would put that right at the front so that your other effects aren't going to mess with its accuracy.

You can put a buffer wherever you want in a signal chain, but where the best place to put it might be depends on the length of the cable you're effectively using before and after the buffer. But its generally best to put the buffer early in the chain, before any compressor pedal or fuzz. The colouration of the buffer may be over exaggerated if you put the compressor/fuzz after it.

The Crybaby Wah you own also has a buffered bypass. But the reason it's making the guitar lose even more treble is because the buffer in standard Crybabys is infamous for being terrible. Converting the pedal to true bypass and buffering the signal by some other pedal is the solution.

The TS9 you own also also has a buffered bypass and the one in the TS9 is decent and putting it near the bginning of the chain is a decent idea.

The Boss you own is buffered too. Some Boss buffers are better than others. Their tuner pedals (like the TU3) have good buffers, but pedals like the SD1 have terrible ones. I'm not sure about their compressor pedals.

I'm no expert though. Some people have a bizarre obsession with where buffers in their effects chain goes. I just do what seems intuitive to me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by diabolical
I'm consuded on your singla chain, are you running everything in the fx loop?

Nope this is just whats going in the loop Mesa fx send - MXR 10 band EQ - TC chorus - TC flashback - ISP Decimator G string - Mesa fx return

Ok thanks for the info then guys
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I dumped my Crybaby because of the buffer sounding like complete garbage with my Roadster. I picked up a Morley Bad Horsie 2 and problem solved.

Also I found that my noise was reduced by swapping out my patch cables from Live Wires to Mogami W2319, especially for the loop which looks eerily similar to yours! MXR 10-Band > TC Electronic Corona > TC Electronic Vortex Flanger > TC Electronic Flashback.

If I had kept the Crybaby I would have done the True Bypass mod.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I dumped my Crybaby because of the buffer sounding like complete garbage with my Roadster. I picked up a Morley Bad Horsie 2 and problem solved.

Also I found that my noise was reduced by swapping out my patch cables from Live Wires to Mogami W2319, especially for the loop which looks eerily similar to yours! MXR 10-Band > TC Electronic Corona > TC Electronic Vortex Flanger > TC Electronic Flashback.

If I had kept the Crybaby I would have done the True Bypass mod.

Yeah I sold my Weeping Demon wah, and just got a crybaby cheap on ebay (£30) to keep me going. I'm not gigging with this setup in the v near future so may look at getting a better wah soon and dumping the crybaby if thats the main problem (which it seems to be). Other than the Bad Horsie, any other suggestions?

Interesting about the patchs, I use mainly Klotz or the fender performer ones atm

and haha eerily similar loop indeed!
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Roc8995
No, you don't need a buffer. The tubescreamer is buffered, so is the Boss, and if the decimator is on, it's also buffering the signal. Plus the effects loop itself is buffered so anything in there is already being driven. More buffers don't add any value. The wah issue is because it has a shitty bypass. Get it converted to true bypass or get a different wah with TBP and you'll probably notice a big difference.

There are a bunch of buffers on your board already, so the issue (assuming it's the buffers) is that one or more of those buffers are crap, or are interacting with the others in an unpleasant way. Start with just one pedal plugged in and keep adding more until you notice the issue. At that point you have to decide if you want to modify the pedal, swap it for a different one, or live with it.

yeah. the decimator is buffered too (or at least the regular one is) so it should be buffering whether on or off.

you could try one of your buffered pedals in front of the wah to see if that fixes its half-assed bypass- it often does.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 the wah is killing you.

for wah recommendation, i love my fulltone clyde.

RMC would be another option.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/