Hey everyone -

I've been researching for a couple days now, and I still can't make up my mind with which one I like more. First off, let me say that I play a fuzzy type of garage rock style of music, so I will primarily will be running a Fuzz War through the amp. What is important to me is the clean channel. I run my amps completely clean with just a little reverb (which I know the Bassman doesn't have, that's not a deal breaker). I need a lot of clarity and a nice low end and nice mids that won't get muddy. Since both seem like they are going to be around the same price, give or take $100-200, do you guys have any specific preference or any advice?

Here is the type of guitar tone I'm going for: Ou-72_Ya5Ec

I know he plays a Musicman 410 which seem to be rare as hell and pricey when they show up on the market.
The Bassman 10 is enormous and heavy, which is really saying something compared to a Twin. That alone would make me choose the Twin. I've lugged a Bassman 10 up and down a flight of stairs a couple of times...no thanks. The master volume on the 10 isn't much of a consideration, the OD is not great and it's a high-headroom ultralinear transformer amp...not sure why they even bothered.

Plus, the Twin is going to be easier to sell if you ever need to, and most Twin models have a nicer clean than the Bassman IMO. Both are solid clean platforms but I don't think the Bassman has any real advantages, but the Twin weighs slightly less (than a house) and has reverb and sounds better to my ears.
Quote by Roc8995
The Bassman 10 is enormous and heavy, which is really saying something compared to a Twin. That alone would make me choose the Twin. I've lugged a Bassman 10 up and down a flight of stairs a couple of times...no thanks. The master volume on the 10 isn't much of a consideration, the OD is not great and it's a high-headroom ultralinear transformer amp...not sure why they even bothered.

Plus, the Twin is going to be easier to sell if you ever need to, and most Twin models have a nicer clean than the Bassman IMO. Both are solid clean platforms but I don't think the Bassman has any real advantages, but the Twin weighs slightly less (than a house) and has reverb and sounds better to my ears.

I have a late 70s Bassman 10 and I like it a lot. It is really heavy though which doesn´t bother me much, mine has wheels! True though, the cleans are a bit less brilliant than the typical Twin cleans.
It's pretty much personal preference but basically the Bassman sound is chunker, with more low end, while the Twin has the famous "sparkly" scooped cleans. If I may make a suggestion, take a look at the recent '68 Custom Twin Reverb model - the "vintage" channel is exactly what a Twin Reverb is meant to be, while the "custom" channel takes you most of the way to a Bassman.

Quote by Roc8995
the Twin weighs slightly less (than a house)
Love it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Roc8995
but the Twin weighs slightly less (than a house)

Haha! I guess it would be a bad idea to keep looking into a Quad Reverb...
Quote by kentuckyklira
Quote by Roc8995
but the Twin weighs slightly less (than a house)

Haha! I guess it would be a bad idea to keep looking into a Quad Reverb...

Be a real man and get a Super Six!
Quote by kentuckyklira
Be a real man and get a Super Six!

Honestly have to wonder who took the Twin and thought "needs more speakers!"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Pffft. You aren't doing it right unless your Fender is going through two 15" speakers.

But seriously, the Twin all the way. As Roc said, if price isn't an issue the the Bassman 10 has no real advantage, unless you just prefer it's tone I guess.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Now that I'm kind of leaning towards Twins, any thoughts on reissues vs. vintage? Please spare the huge vintage circle jerk. I want honesty.
What is your budget?

This is a little different... But look into rivera. I picked one up a few weeks ago and I prefer the cleans of that over my music man and various other clean amps.

I really like music man for the money. I havce the hd130 2x12 and for the $320 i paid.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Biedermannn
Now that I'm kind of leaning towards Twins, any thoughts on reissues vs. vintage? Please spare the huge vintage circle jerk. I want honesty.
As I mentioned, the '68 Customs are really nice amps that are a little cheaper than the '65 Reissues and have the Bassman channel (which I'm pretty into). The '65 Reissues are very nice (I own one), but they're expensive as hell and I wouldn't buy one new; used prices are more reasonable. Vintage ones will ultimately all sound good unless they've been messed with, and some of the CBS ones can be had very cheap (you could also consider a Dual Showman Reverb if you're going down that route, the Twin head, and do some pick 'n' mix with the cab). Particularly into the '70s they did start to change in more meaningful ways, but they still sound like Twins as far as I can tell. Endless arguments across the internet over whether the vintage ones are better than the reissues or vice versa, but I suspect that has a lot to do with people wanting to feel their $1000 investment was justified.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
A few years ago I'd say Silverface Twin/DSR/Super Reverb etc. over reissue, because they could be had so cheap. Now that prices are up a bit, they really aren't the bargain they used to be.

I'd say, for vintage vs. reissue, vintage Fenders are definitely sweet and I think they sound just a bit better, but if you can't find a good deal then they aren't worth it. The reissue stuff is still pretty nice, and is likely to need a re-cap, new tubes, pots, etc. which is nice as all that shit is inconvenient when you just want to play.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The reissue stuff is still pretty nice, and is likely to need a re-cap, new tubes, pots, etc. which is nice as all that shit is inconvenient when you just want to play.
Do you mean "isn't likely to"?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Do you mean "isn't likely to"?

Yeah English fail.
For Twins, specifically, the non-master volume Silverface ones are probably the best deal out there. The only issue there is that they're 40+ years old and if you don't know what to look for when buying you might end up needing a lot of work. Expect to pay to have a tech at least look it over, if not more. On the other hand, if the amp works and isn't noisy, it's probably in decent enough shape to keep chugging along for another decade.

The Showman, Pro (and Pro Reverb), and Bandmaster (and BM Reverb) are all still pretty cheap if you get a Silverface. SF Twins can be had for $500 if you are patient (and near a large enough city), and for a couple hundred bucks you can have a tech spruce it up and convert it to Blackface specs if you desire (and if it's possible, depends on the specific model and year). If you are lucky the amp may not need any work at all. They have after all been working since the 70s, which is generally a good sign.

The Reissues are excellent, but the '65 TRRI tends to actually be a bit more expensive used than old Silverface twins, and between the two I'd pick a SF Twin in good working order over a Reissue. They're both excellent amps, but the old ones are easier to fix and work on, and since they are cheaper in the first place, they're a smart choice. They're also probably going to hold their resale value a bit better. I am still on the fence about the new '68 Custom series. I've heard more than a couple reports of spotty reliability, and a couple I've played in shops have had noise issues (ticking trem circuit, loud hiss). There's some information out there about fixing those things, so it's probably not a big deal, but it doesn't exactly instill confidence in the long-term reliability. I also did not care much for the 68 Custom Twin I played in a shop. The DR and PR were really, really good, but for some reason the Custom Twin was not nearly as warm or as versatile as the rest of the lineup, and it did not sound the way I'd expect a Twin to. It felt more like a Bassman, which isn't a bad thing in general, but it is if you're buying a Twin. Perhaps that was a dud unit, but I was expecting to love the 68 Custom Twin and came away disappointed. Anyway, the 68 Custom hasn't been out long enough to be cheap or common used, so it's probably not part of the equation here.

So my choice is Silverface, since they're still a bargain used and with a bit of freshening up will happily work for another 40 years. 65 Reissue is also a great choice and while a bit more expensive at the outset, more likely to be ready to go with no work at all. Both are good choice, both will sound excellent. I wouldn't worry too much about the sound differences between the two, they're not enormous. I'd give the edge to a Silverface myself, but I've played good and bad examples. The good ones are really good.
Fender Twin is a sure thing if you need loud and clean and don't mind dragging around 90lbs to every gig. Other amps that do loud and clean, take pedals great, and weigh a lot less. These can all be found used under $500:

Fender HR Deluxe/DeVille
Mesa 50 Cal
Mesa F-50
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks Roc. To answer your guys' question, my budget is about $750. I see a reissue on Craigslist right now for $650, but I've seen a lot of silverfaces for around $750 on Craigslist and Reverb but they all looked kind of beat up. I would favor reliable over most things. I can't buy an amp that will need a lot of repairs.
Quote by Biedermannn
Thanks Roc. To answer your guys' question, my budget is about $750. I see a reissue on Craigslist right now for $650, but I've seen a lot of silverfaces for around $750 on Craigslist and Reverb but they all looked kind of beat up. I would favor reliable over most things. I can't buy an amp that will need a lot of repairs.

i own a '68 bassman. i love the thing, but i have ~$320 into it (including the caps i redid).

but if i were to have to rely on it for regular gigging i would go RI. if i were just messing around at home (which i do most of the time), i would go SF.

there are two schools of thought i regularly find: one - is that its 50 years old and it has been working since then. and two - its 50 years old when is it going to be reliable. and when will it need work such as ________ (mine did need caps), and if you can't budget repairs in (or do them yourself), i would go with the reissue.

having said that, i love my bassman, and my musicman as well and they are both great amps. and for my life, i would go SF over RI.

____

i would love to hear a blind test between the two honestly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They are tougher to come across as these models were only in production in the 70's.. but if you can get your hands on a Traynor amp you'll be getting the most bang for your buck. The YGL-3 and YBA-1 would be the equivalent to the the Twin and Bassman respectively. It's not unheard of finding these used around $500.. If it's clean, pedal friendly and headroom you want the YGL-3 has it in spades (plus a huge reverb tank).
Quote by Roc8995
For Twins, specifically, the non-master volume Silverface ones are probably the best deal out there.

I have an old Twin sitting in storage (at the moment) that comes from right around 1970. It's one of the reasons that my right arm is longer than the other. As an older friend of mine put it long ago, "When I went into the guitar shops every 20 years or so to see what was new. I asked what the "usual" setup was, and the answer was always the same: 'For amps, a Marshall stack if you're playing out and a Fender Twin for hauling around to practice. Then some kind of LP or some kind of Strat for a guitar. Maybe both.' ...and I knew it was time to quit when the answer got very different."