Should I change my picking technique to alternate picking? For example, during the intro of "Take me out" by Franz Ferdinand, I like to pick down instead of picking down and up.

How do you prefer to tremolo pick? I like to put my pinky and ring finger on the pick guard. Also why is it easier when you have your picking hand on the bridge?
What do people mean by "positioning" the pick when tremolo picking? People are sometimes unspecific about it.

How do you "shred" or pick really fast without locking up your picking hand?

How do you play "Eye of the Tiger"? It looks really hard with all those quick chord transitions
I answer to the first question. Preferably you can alternate and down -pick very well. After that it is your artistic choice to decide what kind of attack on the strings you want.

Then there is the thing that you can't down pick as fast as you can alternate pick, which means that some songs probably require for you to alternate pick anyway.
Should I change my picking technique to alternate picking? For example, during the intro of "Take me out" by Franz Ferdinand, I like to pick down instead of picking down and up.

You want to be able to do both (downpicking and alternate picking). You don't always want to alternate pick. It's all about the sound you are after. For punk rock down picking usually gives the right sound.

How do you prefer to tremolo pick? I like to put my pinky and ring finger on the pick guard. Also why is it easier when you have your picking hand on the bridge?

I would say do what feels natural to you. You want to avoid tension in your picking hand.

What do people mean by "positioning" the pick when tremolo picking? People are sometimes unspecific about it.

I would guess it has to do with the pick angle.

How do you "shred" or pick really fast without locking up your picking hand?

How do you play "Eye of the Tiger"? It looks really hard with all those quick chord transitions

If you are having troubles with Eye of the Tiger, I don't think you should worry about shredding yet. How do you play it? Well, start slowly. Start with a tempo that you are comfortable with and can play it accurately. And once you have learned it in a slower tempo, speed it up.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by somedood

you should be able to do both at any given time, and also up-pick only when necessary (mostly on traditionally fingerpicked arrangements, some jazz, and folk tunes that use up-beats frequently). you should also be able to do both with different levels of dynamics - that is, harder = louder and more compressed, softer = quieter and more subtle. it takes time, but be conscious of that being your goal. learn everything in both styles then experiment - while you can do exercises to get your picking up to snuff, it's boring and doesn't actually teach you anything but muscle memory.

this is called anchoring. it means that you're using your hand to create stability in your picking - the problem being that the motion for all picking should come from your wrists, and holding your hand down only serves to tense up your hand and use more energy than you normally should. is it easier in the short-term? yes. will it eventually cause bad habits, inconsistency, and potentially a hand injury? most definitely. even when anchoring to the bridge, you want to be very conscious of how the flow of energy is occurring and that you're using your palm to mute rather than as a crutch

you want about a 45 degree angle only using the tip of the pick while still having a good grip and a consistent, solid sound

it's all power chords iirc so they shift easily. picking-wise, you just use muted alternate picking on the pedal tones and hard downpicks on the power chord accents
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.