Hey guys,
So i've just been respraying one of my older guitars.
I was lazy and I only sanded the clear coat off a squier strat that i'm kind of experimenting with.
I then chucked some layers of nitrocellulose white primer and then I did 3 layers of Olympic White Nitrocellulose paint.
I am really digging the matte finish on the guitar right now, however i've heard mixed things about glossing it.
I'm not planning on caring too much about the guitar (I quite like the idea of having a worn strat (but don't worry, I wont relic it, i'll just let nature do that over time)).
So my question is:
Would you recommend using a clear gloss finish for the circumstances I am in? Is it a must?

Thanks
A gloss clearcoat is a good call if you want that look. If you want to do a matte nitro clearcoat, you can do that too!

Stewmac sells both.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The matte finish is nice. Usually the gloss finishes are more scratch resistant but the matte lets you see the wood grain better. If it's one solid color the gloss would probably be the thing to use. If it's wood grain why not use matte.
It took me owning one satin matte finish guitar to realize that's what I like. The glossy guitars tend to show a lot of dirt and fingerprints. If you scratch them it really shows too. I've actually played it so much now that where I rest my arm is actually glossy but it's not a shiny gloss and it looks really nice.
..I was watching my death.
I'm not a fan of matte finishes on cars or guitars (YMMV).

House walls and baby cribs...different story.
Thanks for all of the responses. I went for a Nitro Clear Gloss Lacquer finish. Paint should arrive on friday!
Quote by geo-rage
The matte finish is nice. Usually the gloss finishes are more scratch resistant but the matte lets you see the wood grain better. If it's one solid color the gloss would probably be the thing to use. If it's wood grain why not use matte.

I actually see the wood grain better under a gloss finish; I think matte finishes mask it and reduce the contrast. Matte finishes probably look a bit more like "raw" wood, but almost every builder in the world uses something like a bit of alcohol or water to see what the wood grain will look like when finished. That's what the gloss finishes do. Most of the matte finishes look mostly like new-sawn lumber (not a lot of character). YMMV.
Quote by dspellman
I actually see the wood grain better under a gloss finish; I think matte finishes mask it and reduce the contrast. Matte finishes probably look a bit more like "raw" wood, but almost every builder in the world uses something like a bit of alcohol or water to see what the wood grain will look like when finished. That's what the gloss finishes do. Most of the matte finishes look mostly like new-sawn lumber (not a lot of character). YMMV.

Yes, matte/satin lacquer finishes do nothing good for showing off timber aesthetics. OTOH, an oil-type finish, even when satin, can look better than gloss. I have two examples, both all-mahogany acoustics, both have Danish Oil-finished tops, but one has gloss b&s, the other satin b7s. Neither look as good as the tops. I'm wondering if it is possible to put a hard finish over the Danish Oil.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 24, 2016,