I'm going into my final 6th year (17-18) at school after the summer and I'm taking advanced higher music. For this the two instruments I am doing are guitar and bass and I was looking for suggestions on what pieces I could try?
Also I was wondering whether or not Waterfall (Stone Roses), Here Comes The Sun (The Beatles) and Hotel California (The Eagles) would pass as the right standard for Advanced Higher?
i would talk to the schools proffessors and get some ideas
anything can be considered advanced ... especially in the pit lol

if you're skill set is geared toward blues/jazz/classical guitar then those are some pretty difficult songs to master
but they can be dumbed down to their root notes pretty easy for bass.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

None of us have any idea what the standards are for your school's program, but I wouldn't call "Here Comes the Sun" or "Hotel California" advanced, much less whatever "advanced higher" means. I've never heard the first song, so I don't know about that.
Free Ali
Here Comes The Sun is probably the most challenging out of those.

That doesn't really help you, but tbh I don't know how to help you.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Higher music, it's top shelf stuff
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
nah nah nah

go with this

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
If you pass Advanced Higher Music, do you become accepted into Escalated Premier Music? What's your ultimate goal? Apex Predator Tone Art?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
heyy I got an A in Advanced Higher Music

I can't remember what I played really
mostly grade 7/8 rockschool stuff and some acoustic fingerstyle-y thing

iirc it really wasn't a demanding course at all
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I believe that it's really around grade 6 or above. Also I won't see my tutor till after summer so I'm looking for things to try over summer.
It's been years since I sat it but if you have the sheet music and it's above grade 6 then there shouldn't be much of a problem. You've got plenty of time to sort it out though. My programme for my second instrument (trombone) didn't really come together until 2 or 3 weeks before the exam.
Quote by Hydra150
heyy I got an A in Advanced Higher Music

I can't remember what I played really
mostly grade 7/8 rockschool stuff and some acoustic fingerstyle-y thing

iirc it really wasn't a demanding course at all

Look at this nerd getting an A
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I did higher and that was Grade 5: did a couple of bluesy things and some rock school stuff, I think AH was Grade 6-7, but if you talk to your teachers and give them some sheet music for the piece you want to do, they can send it for validation from the SQA and let you know if it's suitable...if you can nail Classical Gas that'll probably fit the bill