Metallica - Master of puppets

Jellynote

- too much echo, bad quality

Sonsterr

- plastic sound

Ultimate Guitar

- nearly realistic sound

Guitar Pro 6 RSE

- mother of all guitar tab players. Nevertheless, RSE sound sometime has low quality.

Windows MIDI player (file exported from GP6)

- MIDI is 30 years old. Nothing to say

TuxGuitar

- sounds exactly as MIDI player because TuxGuitar uses MIDI engine built-in OS

What do you think?
the old school MIDI sound brings back such memories :')

the rest are painful
out of all those, Songsterr probably sounds least bad
the Guitar Pro RSE would be best but they don't have the dynamics of the palm mutes right, so it depends on what's being played

but really it's irrelevant - if I were using MIDI notation to learn a part, I'd stick with the old school MIDI sound, it has the clarity you need without being grating

trying to get these programs to sound good is pointless wasted effort
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Text tabs.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I listened to songsterr first and was pretty underwhelmed, but I apparently forgot how terrible they usually sound. I'd definitely rate Songsterr as best followed by the Windows midi player. At least for this song the others are just trying too hard to sound real and making things worse.
I'm voting for midi player, mainly because it reminds me of Doom back in the day.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
No idea because every tab I make (and play, which is rare cause I just work stuff out) is made on guitar pro 4 with RSE turned off so it's 100% midi sounds. I like that most, everything is clearer and easier to hear imo.

Problem is, I have no idea how my tabs sound to people who have RSE on or use other places. Oh well
GP 5 > GP 6 in my honest opinion.. The RSE makes the more complex songs too muddy to properly hear what's going on.
They all suck
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

They all sound bad. The standard MIDI player at the end sounds fine though because it knows that it is a "practical" thing (it's used simply as a rough sketch of the sound to give you an idea how a composition sounds) rather than trying to actually imitate a guitar. As a result it has a charming stylization that makes it acceptable.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Upmix
GP 5 > GP 6 in my honest opinion.. The RSE makes the more complex songs too muddy to properly hear what's going on.

You can turn it off, you know?
my guitar when i read text tabs because reading isnt hard and all tab players sound like butts anyway
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
No one should get a tab player for how it sounds, only for how well it works.

Which is why MIDI sounds best cuz it's the least distracting.

Also TuxGuitar ftw.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by sss1024
text tabs doesn't sound
Exactly.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

Quote by EpiExplorer
Also TuxGuitar ftw.

I think TuxGuitar sounds exactly as MIDI player because TuxGuitar uses MIDI engine built-in OS.
It lacks critical features. Palm Mute for example.

Only GuitarPro and Ultimate Guitar has good support for Palm Mute.
Quote by sss1024
TuxGuitar [...] lacks critical features. Palm Mute for example.

Get out of here. It totally has palm-muting. Did you even look?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
sss1024

You've obvs never used it then.

And you never even took on my point: It's unnecessary to even think about getting a tab program that "sounds better" than another when the concept is that it's a practical writing tool not a 'make sound nice'-fier.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by theogonia777
It totally has palm-muting. Did you even look?

Did you even listen?

I updated videos. Listen TuxGuitar example.

TuxGuitar uses shorter notes to emulate Palm Mute. Jellynote and Songster works in the same way.

Instead of it, Ultimate Guitar and Guitar Pro uses different sound for different guitar effects.
Quote by EpiExplorer
And you never even took on my point: It's unnecessary to even think about getting a tab program that "sounds better" than another when the concept is that it's a practical writing tool not a 'make sound nice'-fier.
Yeah, this.

I mean I guess it's fine if you're just talking about it, but turning it into a debate is pretty pointless since the only purpose for the program to exist to begin with is to teach/create.
Quote by SGstriker

Quote by sss1024
Did you even listen?

TuxGuitar uses shorter notes to emulate Palm Mute. Jellynote and Songster works in the same way.

Instead of it, Ultimate Guitar and Guitar Pro uses different sound for different guitar effects.
TuxGuitar, Jellynote and Songsterr are not guitar simulators, doofus.

Stop bitching about stuff that doesn't matter even slightly.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by sss1024
Did you even listen?

You're not getting it: YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CARE ABOUT TAB SOFTWARE SOUNDING GOOD.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by EpiExplorer
when the concept is that it's a practical writing tool not a 'make sound nice'-fier.

Says who?

A huge portion of GP is designed to let you create tablature that sounds good, don't confuse what you choose to use it for as the only reason it exists.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Says who?

A huge portion of GP is designed to let you create tablature that sounds good, don't confuse what you choose to use it for as the only reason it exists.
To be fair, the comment that was responded to was specifically about TuxGuitar, not GP.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I admit that GP has one clear advantage over tux and that is it's velocity control system, useful for production. But having used both for years, Tux is just a straight up improvement in almost every way.

But then again, I use it for production as well as writing music so I don't have to care if it sounds good or not.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by slapsymcdougal
To be fair, the comment that was responded to was specifically about TuxGuitar, not GP.

In going back over the thread I don't believe that's a valid assessment. The comment was directed at all tab players.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i used guitar pro midi
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Arby911
In going back over the thread I don't believe that's a valid assessment. The comment was directed at all tab players.
Well, if you're not going to get into the spirit of things and be thorough...

Plus, as the products are tab players, rather than DAWs using VSTs or anything, that really ought to be a hint to lower one's expectation of sound quality.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EpiExplorer
You're not getting it: YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CARE ABOUT TAB SOFTWARE SOUNDING GOOD.

I DO care about sounding good. Many other players cares about good sound too.

It's OK if you don't care about it.

P.S.
try to google https://www.google.ru/search?q=tuxguitar+better+sound. Many TuxGuitar users wants good sound too.

P.S.P.S.
Good sound better then bad sound 8)
It's like Hal-Sephira v2.0

Just because you google people talking about it doesn't mean they care about it. Why should you?
Again, just talking about from an unbiased position is fine, but turning it into a debate/argument about which is better is kinda dumb.
Quote by SGstriker

Joshua Garcia

It's OK if you don't care about sound. Just ignore this poll, right?
Last edited by sss1024 at Jun 23, 2016,
Quote by sss1024
I DO care about sounding good. Many other players cares about good sound too.

It's OK if you don't care about it.

P.S.
try to google https://www.google.ru/search?q=tuxguitar+better+sound. Many TuxGuitar users wants good sound too.

P.S.P.S.
Good sound better then bad sound 8)
Then practice playing. It's really the only way to make sure you sound as good as you possibly can.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EpiExplorer

Sure. For some users I'm sure sound doesn't matter. But the whole point of this thread is to compare sound (for users that prefer a good sounding tool).
No reason to be upset, it is clearly stated in the title.
Missing jokes are fun.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by BernardMortsell
Sure. For some users I'm sure sound doesn't matter. But the whole point of this thread is to compare sound (for users that prefer a good sounding tool).
No reason to be upset, it is clearly stated in the title.

I'm sure he's got over it in the 9 months since he posted that.
I only use Tux, tbh
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
i use songsterr regularly, but i kinda like how cheesy 80's those old ones sound lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

EpiExplorer To that logic don't get a car that sounds louder than another (or quieter, to each his own) because it's MAIN purpose is to drive. Year and 1/2 late, I don't care.
Page 1 of 2