Back in the day I used to do Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer covers on my digital camera. The video quality wasn't good but it was back when not every average joe had amazing high definition cams. Getting back into the youtube game has been on my mind for a while now. I also think it would be cool to do a making of the album series. I busted my ass writing all these songs and I actually want people to hear my stuff. I really wanna be successful and im hungry for this. I also see doing the youtube thing as a way to find other musicians who are on the same page as me. Having a channel could even land me some auditions if I play my cards right.

Because I know im one of the best, if I don't go for it im just cheating myself and im cheating heavy metal fans as well. I just stopped showing up on my last job. I remember I punched out on the time clock and that was the last time I decided I would ever set foot on the line. The way I see it, you can either work for yourself or you can work for somebody else. But im not trying to convince anyone on a forum that im brilliant. I just see youtube as a stepping stone in my music career.

Don't get me wrong I had my fair share of bands. I wasn't always the solo guy who sat in front of his computer. Nobody was volunteering to climb that mountain with me though. I don't know if it's a lack of skill or a lack of will with our generation. The truth is that most success stories are built on pipe dreams. Nobody is born into success. We all start out at the bottom. Youtube is not the be all end all. Im capable of doing so much and I really can't afford to waste my talent. Sorry for ranting but if you have talent use it or lose it guys. It's the honest truth. I think the world is going to hell and our generation is going to rise back up. We are going to kick some ass musically because music makes you feel good and who doesn't love kicking ass with their instruments?
Honestly, if you have a smartphone from the last couple of years, it'll do just fine. In addition, youtube pretty much destroys video quality anyway. Modern smartphone + tripod + proper lighting is better than a lot of cheaper cameras for video.

As for your career, have a backup plan. Music is hard money and insanely luck based. I don't want to crush your dreams, but the vast majority don't get far enough to make a viable career.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by reincarnator
Honestly, if you have a smartphone from the last couple of years, it'll do just fine. In addition, youtube pretty much destroys video quality anyway. Modern smartphone + tripod + proper lighting is better than a lot of cheaper cameras for video.

Agreed. I think sound would be the biggest issue here.
Quote by triface
Agreed. I think sound would be the biggest issue here.

This - you arent just competeing against people who may be good at their instruments or recording a video - there are already a bunch of music-oriented bloggers on youtube who produce these ridic over the top videos and can also record/mix really well all of their own sound, for example Jared Dines, Fluff and that other guy with the glasses. Personally, I hate them all (maybe with the exception of Fluff tho) and dont understand why they get so many views because i dont find it very funny or entertaining. But regardless, the competition is fierce, so to speak
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
This - you arent just competeing against people who may be good at their instruments or recording a video - there are already a bunch of music-oriented bloggers on youtube who produce these ridic over the top videos and can also record/mix really well all of their own sound, for example Jared Dines, Fluff and that other guy with the glasses. Personally, I hate them all (maybe with the exception of Fluff tho) and dont understand why they get so many views because i dont find it very funny or entertaining. But regardless, the competition is fierce, so to speak

Hey Waterboy I got a wooden spoon. Yeah thats why im not even really sure if im competing with anybody. Those guys are all good players but they turn it into a comedy schtick and they are successful selling t shirts or making money through google ads. Thats cool, but I want more for myself and I don't want to be laughed at. Comedy is a different artform from songwriting in my opinion. The torch is going to have to be passed sooner or later. Thats inevitable. I love Megadeth and I buy every album because Dave Mustaine still kicks ass at 50 something years old.... but whats going to happen when guys like Dave can't do it anymore? When I look at things that way it's almost like im fighting for something greater than myself.

Man I remember watching Havok on myspace when it first launched. They were so young, but they were determined and they just got going. I think it's as simple as that. Just get going and make things happen. Maybe luck will meet you three quarters of the way but you need a plan if you wanna be a musician. I have been playing for 19 years and im 30 years old. I feel like im at my peak with anything being possible. I should log the making of this album on youtube no matter what happens. If I ever do achieve anything someday I can look back on it. And if somebody important sees me who knows what could come from it.
Talking about SCHTICK you got me thinking about Chappers ... and the guy has his own guitar line now!

@beatmaster - try the quality of your phone first and if that doesn't work, I'd say just look at 1080p cameras. I posted a link on here about freeware video editing programs, there is lots of top of the line stuff now going for no $ as far as editing platforms go.
I wasnt trying to discourage you man, i was just trying to ground you a bit. Hopefully you understand how much work it really is to put together those kinds of productions. Not to mention, to keep your following you should really be releasing videos frequently.

idk why you are talking about these guys like they are 50 years old though lol. Theyre pretty much all young guys in their 20s and 30s and they do this stuff professionally and arent really going anywhere anytime soon
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

A camera? Canon Rebel T6i, Nikon 7200, etc. Any good DSLR will do the job, and will also give you a fantastic camera for general use.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale