Hey guys so over the recent months ive found more motivation in buying and doing up guitars than actually playing

I cant seem so get in the mood to actually pickup and play. Im kinda bored with learning songs and have been trying to find more backing tracks to improvise over however lack of theory and scales have really knocked me back a bit anyone got any advice or some ideas to where i can get a kick start
You can't force yourself to be motivated and there isn't a magic formula that will make you so. You just have to want to do it.

You say you're more motivated in doing up guitars and stuff so why don't you just focus on modding/fixing up your guitars for now until you get bored of that? Maybe once you get the fixing bug out of your system, you will be inspired to do more.

Listen to music you dig and just don't compare yourself to other people. It's not a race. You're supposed to enjoy it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
new music, find more of it. or go through some old stuff you haven't listened to in a long while and see if you feel motivated to try learning any of those songs.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I'd take some of your profits and invest in lessons. A live instructor helped me tremendously, especially with theory, scales, how, and why.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have found when I lack motivation to just pick it up anyway and start playing, once you get going and slamming out some riffage and melodies that sense of joy fills you and you are suddenly motivated to play for hours.

I have found mixing up practice with playing (there is a difference!) helps you to keep interested and see the immediate benefits of your practice.

For instance, I like to practice my alternate picking then play something that has been kicking my arse that I have been trying to learn and see how much easier it is now I have refined my technique.

Or learn some more theory and improvisation skills and just noodle away afterwards and then be happy when my girlfriend says something like "What song is that? That sounds really good" and it was actually just something I was making up as I went along .

Although I like you have a huge itch for modding and working on gear too, sometimes all it takes is a test of that new mod or upgrade to get the playing itch again.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Maybe try something new.
Few months ago I got bored with improvising to some backing tracks, so I started recording stuff, which I hadn't done before. When THAT got boring, I started writing my own backing tracks. While doing this, I realized that I've been neglecting my acoustic guitar and that my fingerstyle skills were lacking, so I focused on that. So right now, I enjoy making solo acoustic arrangements of Metal and Hard Rock songs
And if this fails to rekindle your motivation, maybe try learning another instrument for a while - when I really can't find any enjoyment in picking up the guitar, I'll wipe the dust off my keyboard. ^_^
Here's some advice I posted in another section of UG:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
You're in a rut. We've all been there.

Besides the above-mentioned suggestions, there are other things you can do. Try playing things you're familiar with in unfamiliar ways. Here are a few to try:

1) If you read sheet music or tab, find a song you know and literally learn it backwards. If you read sheet, turn the page upside down, and learn it THAT way. In either case, the familiar becomes VERY unfamiliar.

2) Try playing stuff with different time signatures. I was discussing the jazz standard, "Take Five", (which is written in 5/4) with a jazz pianist I know named Jim while he was sitting at my Mom's baby grand. He started playing the song as we talked. I mentioned that I had heard a light jazz performance of it in 4/4, and that it just lost some of its character. Jim started playing it in 4/4...and was visibly not pleased. I then said that if that guy had REALLY wanted to do something different, he should have played it in a more interesting time signature, "like 3/4"

...so Jim played it in 3/4...

"...or 6/4"

...so Jim played it in 6/4...

"...or 7/4."

...so- after a slight pause- Jim played it in 7/4.

In each case, even in the watered down and uninteresting 4/4 version, "Take Five" sounded and felt different from its original form.

3) Try playing stuff you know in different genres, or songs from other genres into your favored styles. Reimagine Van Halen's "Dirty Movies" with a salsa beat. Or Jay Z's "99 Problems" as a ZZ Top tune. It worked for Aerosmith covering Run DMC, and history has repeated itself often. Rodrigo y Gabriella often do Latin versions of metal songs, and Alex Skolnick covers some metal- including his own songs from Testament- with his jazz trio. Very recently, DJ DMD's "25 Lighters"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfcNMQpXhMc&sns=em

Became ZZ Top's "I Gotsta Get Paid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI&sns=em

4) Try learning your faves in different tunings, the more different, the better. A few years ago, I took a stab at learning The Scorpions' "Rock You Like A Hurricane" in New Standard Tuning, which is CGDAEG. I didn't get the whole song down, but I really enjoyed the process.

5) Try creating some mash-ups. I'm currently trying to combine Yngwie Malmsteen's "I am a Viking" with Richard Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries", with gear and settings dialed in for surf guitar.

6) Try learning song parts for the vocals or keyboards instead of or in addition to the guitar parts.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm the same at the moment, I get more pleasure out of modding than playing - see my recent sound port thread.

But as others have said, trying something different can get you started again. I'm working on a few things I find difficult, like trying to emulate Bert Jansch's touch style.
Usually when I need motivation I'll listen to a crazy song, think, "how the fuck does he do that", and then work furiously until I can play the song. Usually it's Gary Davis, Leo Kottke, or John Fahey. Sometimes if I have the time I'll just throw on Inside Llewyn Davis, as laughable as it is that's the movie that kickstarted my love for folk, as well as my intense desire to play it. I'll also throw on Whiplash, that movie gets me pumped to make music. And like, there's drugs, but that's a discussion for another forum
2 things that motivate me into playing my guitar more

1. Listening to music I really like, I imagine myself as the one playing that song I picture it. I thought I was just really geeky for that but apparently Steve Vai does this as well.

2. Interviews of passionate people. The last review to really get me going was this one by the drummer of darkthrone. [CAN YOU GUESS WHICH ONE HE IS BEFORE HE IS INTRODUCED?]

At the end of the day though it is not something you can force! it just comes organically when you think about it a lot. thoughts begets actions.
Last edited by Blicer at Jun 26, 2016,