I have been using a Boss OD3 as my overdrive for years now and I absolutely love it. It is super transparent, so my strat sounds like my strat, it makes my guitar sustain for days, and when I stack it with a distortion pedal, I get a huge fat tone that sounds great. In the overdrive department everyone is always talking about Tube Screamers and Tube Screamer like boutique pedals, but this pedal hardly gets airtime. The Boss DS1 seems to get more attention, but I've ABed them, and in my opinion, the OD3 blasts the SD1 out of the water!

Interested in what other people's experiences have been?
eh....just another OD pedal...I stopped getting excited about them a while back. Traditional Boss tone suck, so I use something else, but I did track an album with one as overdrive (although modded) and it was fine. Nowadays my go to is Budda Zenman, true bypass and tons of options.
To be honest I think Boss gets a lot of hate for how bad the Metal Zone and Metal Core are and it makes people assume the other pedals are as bad.
Also they are not true bypass (which actually is not a super bad thing as you don't need buffers with them)

My experiences with Boss is that they are decent enough pedals, they get the job done and they are very solidly built.

I love my DD3, great sounding delay with a lot of options.
My Fender Spring Reverb pedal is great for vintage tones.
The CH1 I have sounds pretty nice too.

Are there better pedals out there? Sure, but they cost quite a bit more and I'm not sure if they are as sturdy. My solution would be Boss for the road, TC/MXR/Strymon etc for the studio.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
i haven't been impressed with any of the boss OD's i have tried. the thing is that they are just OK. the don't sound great, they aren't an overly good value (from a money perspective), the bypass is shitty. the thing of it is you can pick up a higher end OD for not much cash.

my favorite OD at this moment (it changes every few days) is a fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. i paid $75 used, and it is stupid versatile, has a switchable boost, different EQing options, and it is a solid piece.

smashes any bosses i have tried
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I feel the same way bout the Digitech Hardwire CM2. Even though I've had more issues with Digitech than every other brand combined, I really dig the CM2.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I haven't tried the OD-3. I have some experience with the SD-1 (A good cheap option, along w/the Bad Monkey, to boost a dirty amp into high gain territory, IMO). I'm not a terribly big Boss fan in general, except for the vintage CE-2 Chorus pedals (one of which I own),

That being said, I'd also agree that Boss gets more flack than they deserve, as most of their stuff is fairly decent. I just feel that for a little more money, you can do even better. Sometimes much better (As in the case of the metal zone).

At the end of the day, try not to worry too much about what others think - If you're happy with how it sounds, that's all that matters .
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Not a big BOSS fan myself. They are well priced though so I think affordable for many but other than a delay or the old chorus (CE-1 or 2) which is no longer available they're just not for me. I use to own one of their multi-effects boards as well and got rid of it as the tone just wasn't to my liking.
If you're willing to shell out some additional $$$ you can get some really well designed pedals that respond quite well and have more usable features. I recently bought a Wampler pedal and am very impressed with the construction and way it operates. Volume and distortion levels have very wide range and the mid control specifically cuts or boosts the midrange a lot as well. The tone control and brite switch also provide more control of tone than normal. Whisper quiet too. Mind you it's 3X what a BOSS OD/Distortion would cost you but can use an inexpensive BOSS Ac adapter like I'm doing.
Moving on.....
The Budda Zenman is $125, for boost, two overdrive modes (Tubescreamer and full), which is not expensive for its options.
Compared to Boss Wazza its about the same. Compared to original Boss, I guess OD-3 will go for about $80, so it is still a good deal.
Quote by SSSvsHH
I have been using a Boss OD3 as my overdrive for years now and I absolutely love it.

Glad you love it.

I don't think it's one of the "most underrated pedals," however.
I have one buried in a bin somewhere, and it's not coming out any time soon.
I feel the same with the metal zone haha. Disable a couple gyrator filters, just remove two caps, and either di with a cab sim or run through a power amp and with a bit of eq tweaking they are very usable.

I really like their sd1 though as a boost.
ages since i've tried one, i remember it being pretty nice. it probably is a bit underrated, but some people like them.

i like the sd1, though. it depends on what you want it for. totally changing the tone can be good or bad, depending on what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i like the sd1, though. it depends on what you want it for. totally changing the tone can be good or bad, depending on what you want.

The SD1 is good for getting a grinding mid hump. At least for my playing.
Wouldn't mind trying an od3 if I saw one in store.
^ yeah. for certain things the mid hump is great- a solo boost, for example. but if you like the tone of your amp and don't want it to change (at least too much), then it's not so good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another thing I seem to have noticed about Boss pedals is that they seem to be very popular modding platforms, whether this is due to how they are built and have a lot of untapped potential or people are just happier with other brands and don't feel a need to mod them as much I don't know, all this amp and pedal modding and stuff goes right over my head to be honest, I'm a guitar modder, not a electronics modder.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
SSSvsHHN1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Nothing wrong with Boss pedals at all. They are tools to get what you want or not. Just like everything else built for us Guitar players.
I would like to try out the OD-3.
The Quest for Tone.
Quote by Liaztraht
I feel the same with the metal zone haha. Disable a couple gyrator filters, just remove two caps, and either di with a cab sim or run through a power amp and with a bit of eq tweaking they are very usable.

You don't even need to mod them. DI with a cab sim, straight into a guitar power amp, or into a bass amp and it can sound great.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
You don't even need to mod them. DI with a cab sim, straight into a guitar power amp, or into a bass amp and it can sound great.

I modded mine to improve the midrange. Made it less nasally. Better balance tonally.
I never really liked Boss Gain pedals. Also, I never liked the modern Boss digital modulation pedals (I never tried the older analog ones). But, I think Boss really mastered delays. The DD-3 is a great clean delay. Recently I tried the Boss DM-2W and really the best way to describe it would be inspiring. I think that Boss makes great delay pedals. I had to buy these pedals as I really liked them. I would like to try the new CE-2w as a lot of people seem to like the CE-2. I picked up a tremolo pedal. It works fine and I do not really use a tremolo pedal, but now I got one and used it in the last song i tracked.
For some reason it seems like a lot of guitarists nowadays expect to be "blown away" by how something sounds, and if they aren't, that means it's no good...

Boss pedals don't do this for anyone, do they? They are very much bog-standard, run of the mill pedals, in terms of tone and performance, but that's not really a bad thing in the real world, where all you really need is something that will get the job done.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
SSSvsHH The Ds1 is a straight up terrible pedal . The Metal Zone is also a terrible pedal. Those 2 pedals alone have essentially ruined Boss' reputation for many people, myself included. That being said, Boss has many decent pedals, the OD, the Blues Driver, the Delay, The Tremolo pedals etc. If a Boss pedal actually works in your rig than that's great, because they're build quality is excellent as far as ruggedness and they're cheap and easy to find anywhere.

It all depends on the setup, but in my experience once you use something like an Xotic AC Booster, BB Preamp or other high quality drive pedals you can't go back.
Quote by Blompcube

Boss pedals don't do this for anyone, do they? They are very much bog-standard, run of the mill pedals, in terms of tone and performance, but that's not really a bad thing in the real world, where all you really need is something that will get the job done.

i dunno about "blown away" but i really do like the sd1. if they'd just fix the bypass bleed (and i suppose, being picky, the non-unity gain buffers in a lot of their pedals).
Quote by reverb66
[The Ds1 is a straight up terrible pedal .

I don't think the ds1 is as bad as a lot of people think. It's not my favourite pedal but I do like it for certain things. It has a certain clarity at fairly low gain settings that I really like for lower gain distortion type playing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I don't think the ds1 is as bad as a lot of people think. It's not my favourite pedal but I do like it for certain things. It has a certain clarity at fairly low gain settings that I really like for lower gain distortion type playing.

Or pushing and tightening an already dirty amp. I prefer it over tubescreamers, and I would like to try that OD3 the ts was talking about.
Quote by lucky1978
I feel the same way bout the Digitech Hardwire CM2. Even though I've had more issues with Digitech than every other brand combined, I really dig the CM2.

same here. I also love my T-Rex Crunchy Frog which has vey nice touch sensitivity. the Boss OD 3 isn't bad but I didn't like enough to buy one back when they came out.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'll even go as far as to say the main thing that's wrong with the DS-1 is it makes it too easy for incompetent people who dial in the controls with their eyes rather than their ears to make horrible sounds with it and blame the pedal
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
yeah i guess. at the same time you can basically set the tone knob at one setting which sounds good, which i'm not sure is the best plan.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never thought of Boss as top-of-the-line or mind blowing, like many of us have said. be that as it may, we all seem to have Boss effects, or at the very least some experience with them. We all start somewhere, and for many of us, it's Boss effects. I'd second the BD-2 Blues Driver as one of the best overdrives I've used. I recorded a whole Album with it once, its a work horse. I've enjoyed the OD3, and the OD-1 - I felt the OD-1 was a bit more dynamic, and that was about it - it's a solid OD.

If you, or anyone wants "Blow your mind awesome OD" you can spend 3K and get a Klon, or $200 for an Archer, a Kalamazoo Lovepedal, the Fulltune OD's, or even the OCD if you wanta bargain honestly. then again, if you settle on an 808 or a TS9 you'll have landed where many of my friends do.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204