Are there any good bass guitar VSTi out there for playing Drop B metal? I've tried Ample Sound stuff, but for some reason b,c,c#,d,d# don't give you that nice pop sound. Only in standard tuning. While those notes just sound like sub bass. Tried something called OMBass which is alright, but it gives pops and crackles regardless of buffer settings and stuff.
And yes, I'd love to get a bass guitar, but I don't have one and don't know the first thing about recording bass..
So any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
EDIT - And I've also tried just playing guitar and pitch shifting it. But my strings are 58s, and it just sounds weak in comparison. So prefer to avoid that road if I can
Quote by pipelineaudio
oops, you said Vsti...yes, I'm fired, sorry
Haha no worries :p This is bass amp modeling? Could be useful regardless, so thanks :]
Trillian Bass gets used a lot for metal I think. There is one preset called something like hardcore fingerstyle or something like that and it just has 'that sound'. I used it for a bit but i found it way more preferable to get a cheap ass bass, put some EMG jazz pickups in there, and just plug it DI. Seems to get all the sounds that I need
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Trillian Bass gets used a lot for metal I think. There is one preset called something like hardcore fingerstyle or something like that and it just has 'that sound'. I used it for a bit but i found it way more preferable to get a cheap ass bass, put some EMG jazz pickups in there, and just plug it DI. Seems to get all the sounds that I need
Alright, I'll look into that. But for when I get a bass, just plug it directly into my interface, than go nuts with bass/amp software?
Quote by Frankieanime78
Alright, I'll look into that. But for when I get a bass, just plug it directly into my interface, than go nuts with bass/amp software?

Yup! At this point, I keep the gear around just to ameliorate bands and producers, I rarely use anything but in the box stuff for bass recording. Traditionally, the bass playing community has been a lot less resistant to change than their guitarist friends, look at bass construction materials for instance, so they already usually have an in the box chain they like
Spectrasonics Trillian is the best in my book. If you have Kontakt, however, you have many other options. Zombass, Texas Grind, Chango Twango to name a few.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.