In both of these clips, you can see him just playing ridiculously fast from around 3:20 and 5:10 respectively in particular, but it sounds clean and he moves between strings pretty easily. He also seems to be barely picking the strings at all.
I know that this isn't going to be an easy thing to learn and requires a lot of practice, but I just want to know what I should practice, and if there are any specific techniques behind this type of playing.

I find particularly that when I hammer on, or when I try to attempt 'tapping', almost no sound comes out at all. I don't know if it is my guitar (which is particularly shit), or if - most likely - I'm just shit, but I can go for a full right hook onto a fret and crack the neck before any sound will come out. I can sort of make a reasonable sound on one of the EAD strings, but it still sounds a lot quieter than plucking. I don't know if this will have anything to do with it, but I thought I would bring it up. How would I go about practicing this also?

I have been playing for a bit now, I've self taught over 3 or 4 years now, going ape shit the last year playing upwards of 4 hours a day, but I can't comment on the quality of this practice and I would assume there is a lot of technique that I haven't learned. I have a pretty decent grasp over scales, and have a decent understanding of theory as guitar is my 3rd instrument. I like to solo a lot and play over other songs which makes up the majority of my 'practicing', but I find the solos are often pretty simple, and are held back by my lack of technical ability.

I was hoping someone could point me into the right direction as to how to achieve these types of solos in the very distant future.

Also on a side note, does anyone have any tips on how to learn to read sheet music for guitar, and how to learn some basic chords? Cheers.
Get William Leavitt's 'Modern Guitar Method' and play the stuff in there a shit ton. Learning to read music can't be done overnight and actually requires lots of practice. What the guy in the above videos does is legato (well, in the second one it's clearer). Listen to players like Allan Holdsworth and Paul Gilbert for some good examples on legato playing.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
The guy in the video wasn't that good. The first video was particularly awful.

Anyway...

It's really the same old clichés. Practice scale exercises with a metronome. When you alternate pick, be mindful of consistent pock strokes. With legato, you don't really have to smack the strings, but you need some force. Although most of the great legato players (shred guys like Holdsworth and country guys like Brent Mason) tend to use compression (either the natural compression of hard clipping or a clean compressor pedal or both) to even out their notes. It's good to practice without that though. There are a million scale exercises on the internet focusing on all kinds of different scales and fingering patterns so just search for them and get practicing. Remember to practice for accuracy and consistency first and speed second.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.
Playing legato is just like hammering on, right, similar to tapping, but only with the fret hand?
Am I missing something with this, because when I try tapping, I get almost no sound at all. Like, you can barely hear it. Even when I hit the fretboard like really hard, it doesn't make any sound. Was this the same when you first tried tapping/ legato playing or am I missing something? And by alternate picking, you mean picking down and up or is it something else?
Cheers for that modern guitar method recommendation, that looks like a solid book I'll get soon