Hello all.

As always when I come here to post - it's been a while.

I finally got some time away from the pointless distractions of life (work, money, social interactions) and threw some crap into the musical furnace. Through the smog and unbearable odour a new creation has been born.....

So..... squashed-on-the-side-of-the-road productions proudly presents.........

https://soundcloud.com/undecided404/cradle

I'm, relatively pleased with the outcome of this one - the mix is better than most of my attempts in the past.

As always I am keen to hear any crit and tips for improvement. And, as always, I'm happy to return the favor for anyone who leaves a link to their own track.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers
Thanks for your critique man appreciate it, but I would of liked you to point out those points in my recording that sounded like it needed more mixing that would of helped me a bit. Anyway on to your song the drums sound absolutely great for death metal/black metal whatever, everything in the beginning sounded panned to the left pretty hard. I really like the evil carnival sounds being mixed in to the background at parts it's a nice touch for example at 2:25- 3:33. The vocals are good they're not bad it's not my preference but I can see how other people would enjoy them. It's a little technical for black metal but I am also guilty of pulling shit off like that in my music. good job man thanks for sharing.
Rabid,
As usual, your vocals are too scary/evil for me, though they sound professional, and fit the instrumental. Instrumentally, everything sounds good to me. Guitar playing is tight, and has good melodies. Synths fit well, so do the drums. I had images of the (Disney) Haunted Mansion ride in my head. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1703623
Nice work! I especially enjoyed the lead work on the guitars. The song gave me the sense of pummeling along down a track on a runaway train....to hell -- haha. I don't know what the lyrics were about though; that's just the imagery I had in my head. Funny how good music will do that. My only points of critique are a matter of subjectivity, and they regard the mix. If I were to mix it, I'd let the vocals come up in the mix a little more, as well as the rhythm guitars. I'd lower the drums a bit as well. The drums sounded great, but in my opinion dominated the mix a little too much for my taste. (People always tell me I need to raise the drum levels on my tracks though, fwiw.)

Anyway, here's one of my latest; also black metal, but more atmospheric -- could you take the time and do a critique?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1702814

^^^Be sure to click on the latest version in my thread.
Hello! First of all, thanks for your great comments on my material. And here I am to do the same on yours!

First of all, I love the atmosphere. The material is obviously well written. I've not listened to the black metal genre for a while now but I have a solid idea how it works. And this nails it pretty much.

The material is great. Nothing to say on that. Enjoyed it a lot/

The mix is lacking certain things. The main thing I noticed is the EQs. There're some really ear-tearing frequencies that needs to be removed. I noticed that at drum overheads and vocal EQs.

The atmosphere is really nice and smooth. The lead guitars, and panning was great. The ping pong delays create the haze of old school black metal, and I liked that a loooot!

Keep up the good work and good luck!
Thanks to all for your comments. It is much appreciated.

Fourfourforever - interesting you mention panning. Everything is panned fairly evenly (in db terms at least). I did pan both the lead riff hard left and both the rhythm hard right - as the rhythm is more muffled (poor tone set up and poor playing methinks) this may be what is giving the feeling of everything being hard left (the right is too muffled).

I've dropped you some extra comments on your thread about the mix.

aaron aardvark - Evil Disney? Not what I was aiming for - but I'll take it!

KailM - I was a little unsure about the kick drum level in particular. I thought I had maybe overdone it - but every time I lowered it it just felt like the song was losing power. I do like a strong drum sound (I love Dimmu Borgirs Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia album - which is universally acknowledged to be waaaay drum heavy).

Sammetry- In the past I have ended up with kinda muffled mixes (for a variety of reasons). At the end this time I added some highs to the master to combat that. Perhaps I overdid it? I added a lot of air (above 10k) but I wonder if you are meaning frequencies below that airy region - maybe closer to the 7-8k region? I'm pretty awful at judging these things.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers
Quote by RabidBadger
Sammetry- In the past I have ended up with kinda muffled mixes (for a variety of reasons). At the end this time I added some highs to the master to combat that. Perhaps I overdid it? I added a lot of air (above 10k) but I wonder if you are meaning frequencies below that airy region - maybe closer to the 7-8k region? I'm pretty awful at judging these things.s

I'm sure you're not as awful as you state to be. These frequencies tend to not show themselves to their fullest in a medium hi-fi/earphone setup but require some kind of flat EQ professional studio monitoring system to be detected. I hardly think that's your fault. Perhaps you're right about overdoing it, perhaps it's the 7-8k area. I have a feeling the vocal is attacking the ears in 5-7khZ region (generally it is) and the drum overhead is getting crispier after the 12khZ mark - but might be totally wrong. I bet if you sweep around those areas you'll find the problem. And perhaps you can even do it with a surgical EQ at the mastering chain.