Page 1 of 2
I need a new amp, and I'm trying to take advantage of the 15% Father's Day discount at Guitar Center. It expires tomorrow, so I need to make a decision fast!

Here's my situation. I have a budget of about $400-500 (MAYBE $600-650 before discount). That seems to rule out heads, because I can't afford to buy both a head and a cab.

The amp will be used primarily for bedroom practice. But I also want to be able to mic the amp for recording purposes. I live in a 1BR apartment, and I can't make too much noise. So, I think that means if I get a tube, I need lower wattage so I can get good tone without noise complaints.

I'm planning to play a lot of post-metal sort of stuff (think Isis and Cult of Luna), so both distortion and clean tone is important. I also do a lot of jamming with a looping pedal and a Flashback Triple Delay, and I like being able to foot switch to distortion while jamming. In general, I'm into experimenting with tone by using pedals.

I've done some research, and it seems like any of the following amps could fit my purposes:

• Marshall DSL5C, DSL15C, or DSL40C
  • Orange CR60C
  • Jet City JCA2212C
  • Peavey 6505+ 60W
  • Blackstar HT-5R or HT Club 40
  • VOX AC10
  • Fender Super-Champ X2 15W

I've only been able to try the DSL40C, Orange CR60C, and VOXAC10 (though I did try a Peavey head). The VOX had great clean tone, but I don't think it'll get me metal distortion. I think I liked the DSL40C better than the Orange - I can't really describe why. I didn't get to try a Blackstar, but I've heard they aren't true tubes, despite what they advertise. I don't know much about the others; I've just seen a bunch of people mention them.

Which amp do you guys/girls think will suit my purposes best?

I think I'm leaning toward one of the Marshalls, but I can't decide which one to get. It seems like the DSL5C might be the best fit. It can be attenuated to 1W, which should allow me to crank the thing for recording without getting evicted. The DSL5C, unlike the 15C, also has an FX loop. I'm not sure how important that'll be.

The thing that worries me is the possibility that the DSL5C won't compare to the 40C (which I've actually tried), since that amp has a LEAD1/LEAD2 switch, presence, etc. I just can't find a 5C to test - no one has them in stock. On the other hand, if I go with the 40C, that's probably a lot more power than I need, and I'm worried I won't get good tone at the volumes I have to play.

Anyway, I'm really conflicted, and could really use some advice on this.
my friend owns the Orange CR60C and it has nice clean and reverb.. you may need to get the foot switch if you prefer but it isn't necessary. I don't know about other amps you mentioned.. also the amp isn't heavy compared to older amps.. I think my Peavey Envoy 110 made in USA (40watt silver stripe) is heavier, my 2nd Envoy 110 made in USA (35watt teal stripe), is lighter.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
you won't be able to crank any of them. even the on the 1 watt mode. selectable wattage is kind of a gimmick in most cases. you also probably don't want power tube distortion either (if you do think you do).

out of those (regardless of volume) i would scratch the blackstars and the vox. blackstar because i think you can get a better amp for the money. vox because it will not get you metal. i would also scratch the SS orange. bees in a beer can.

i would go with the jetcity or the marshall from that list. good luck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Trashed- a thought: I know some small amps like the Carvin V3MC have a "line out" that is cabinet voiced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that line out usable with headphones? And if so, does that mean the output sounds basically like what the amp would produce via its speaker?

If so, something like that would be the best of both worlds- a compact, pedal-friendly tube amp that won't disturb the neighbors when you rock out via the 'phones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Trashed- a thought: I know some small amps like the Carvin V3MC have a "line out" that is cabinet voiced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that line out usable with headphones? And if so, does that mean the output sounds basically like what the amp would produce via its speaker?

If so, something like that would be the best of both worlds- a compact, pedal-friendly tube amp that won't disturb the neighbors when you rock out via the 'phones.

you have a good point, but i don't have an answer [from experience]... lol.

i don't have to worry about volume so i don't really need to be worried about sounding good quiet, nor spend a whole lot of time working on it. i can say that my 5f1 is stupid loud dimed, and my 18 watter even more stupidly loud dimed, either way there is no real purpose other than going deaf.

as far as i have read, there is a little bit of everything. some amps can with a load, some dont need a load. some mute the speaker some it is selectable. supposedly some can sound great, and a majority of them don't. that is after two minutes of research, i haven't tried that.

one thought i have is volume, i don't know if all are post master. that could be a problem. further yet, i don't know if one will work into a mixer it will work into headphones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I would go either with blackstar or peavey.

On the other hand although I really really hate most of the marshalls Ive tried, I have to say that they are more flixible on what they can play.
Regarding my suggestion, I found this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?58030-Can-a-line-out-be-used-for-headphones

However, I also found threads suggesting that it won't work without a headphone amplifier (never heard of one) or will sound bad, and others who say it depends on the amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Maybe you would be better off with a modeler given noise constraints. People have been raving over the atomic amplifire. Just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Status report. I went back to Guitar Center, and I tried the DSL40C again as well as the Peavey 6505+. This time, I brought my own guitar (Ibanez S Prestige), and I also tested both amps with a TC Electronic Flashback X4.

Here's my impression. I really like the tonal quality on the DSL40C with low gain (clean or lead channel), especially with the middle single coil pickup switched on. I don't know how to describe it except to say that it sounds really crisp. To my ear, the clean tone sounds sort of bland when I dial the gain down.

At first, I thought the Peavey offered better metal distortion, but I think I may have been playing the DSL40C too low - I also had it switched at half power. When I turned it on full power and dialed up the volume just a little bit, it sounded really heavy.

Overall, I think the DSL40C sounded better.

The question is whether or not to get the DSL40C over the 5C, and I'm still really conflicted about that. I think I probably should take my time - but do you guys think sweetwater will actually give me a deal, as a number of people have suggested?
DMFX

No amp really makes much sense in an apt setting. Take your time and pick out a nice DMFX you like, then customize it to your needs. Don't get sucked into retail herd mentality with the latest "BUY TODAY" sale. It's just nonsense.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you want a tube amp check out the Laney IronHeart Studio or one of the mini heads with home recording in mind like the Peavey 6505MH.

Amp sims or a modeller with decent monitor speakers or headphones are your best bet though if you don't like the Laney.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
If you want a tube amp check out the Laney IronHeart Studio or one of the mini heads with home recording in mind like the Peavey 6505MH.

Amp sims or a modeller with decent monitor speakers or headphones are your best bet though if you don't like the Laney.

The issue with buying a head for more than $400 is that to get a cab I'd be way over my budget. Unless I'm overestimating the price of cabs.

I haven't come across the Laney before - would you be able to tell me more about it?
Well either of those play directly into your computer via USB so I'd either buy an inexpensive used cab and swap the speaker out later on or continue to save pennies to get the cab you want and just use the computer interface.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
A lot of people, including myself, have made the mistake of getting higher wattage amps and being unable to ever hear what that amp really sounds like because you won't get the dial even past the 10 o'clock position. You are much better off getting a 15W you can turn up than a 40W you can't, with any good amp. If you want to crank anything greater than a 15W amp for metal in your bedroom then you will get an amp with attention (orange), an attenuator or sound proof cab for your cab.

A cranked 15WDSL is going to much crunchier on the ultra gain than the 40WDSL you can't even begin to saturate.

BTW - the 40WDSL is an awesome piece of gear for the price. One of the best amps you can get in that price range but will it give you that crunch you want from Marshall at low vol levels. I think not in your space.
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 20, 2016,
Quote by Deermonic
A lot of people, including myself, have made the mistake of getting higher wattage amps and being unable to ever hear what that amp really sounds like because you won't get the dial even past the 10 o'clock position. You are much better off getting a 15W you can turn up than a 40W you can't, with any good amp. If you want to crank anything greater than a 15W amp for metal in your bedroom then you will get an amp with attention (orange), an attenuator or sound proof cab for your cab.

A cranked 15WDSL is going to much crunchier on the ultra gain than the 40WDSL you can't even begin to saturate.

BTW - the 40WDSL is an awesome piece of gear for the price. One of the best amps you can get in that price range but will it give you that crunch you want from Marshall at low vol levels. I think not in your space.

If you can crank 15w, you can crank 40w, there isn't a great deal of difference in volume. (Both are gonna be wall-rattling loud!)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
As far as I am concerned, I like my tube amps way more than any of the modelers I've other owned or recorded. I tried to get away with multifx but at the end of day my Mesa or Marshall with a mic in front sit a lot better in the mix and sound more nuanced that multifx. I write with multifx as I can't crank my amps all the time, but in the end of the day I replace all my DI recorded stuff with real tube amp tracks.

I think some of the newer amps have a line out without speaker needed to be engaged, H&K does for sure.

Laney IRT is also a cool concept, a preamp all tube made mainly for recording. Look it up.

BTW - headphone amplifiers are usually built into your audio interface, if you have a dedicated recording interface. If not - they are fairly cheap, I've seen some go for $40 used on Ebay.
Deermonic
Quote by Deermonic

I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the 15w, as it doesn't have an FX loop. If I wasn't going to get the DSL40C, I'd go for the DSL5C.
The 40C is you can spare the difference will be a lot more robust and with enough power for the occasional band session. For home situation I doubt that the lower volume amp will make much difference as you can turn this one down as well.
zab219

Its a great amp. Look into attenuators.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 20, 2016,
By the way, just called sweetwater. They said they could offer me the 40C with the Celestion Creamback for $625 and the 5C for $450.
The 5C will be far too limited as far as band rehearsal goes. Especially if you want cleans.

Deermonic, that is not how the math goes as far as volume/wattage is concerned.

The sweet water deal is alright, especially since the seventy80 is trash. If you want new it would be a good way to go
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup
Quote by trashedlostfdup
The 5C will be far too limited as far as band rehearsal goes. Especially if you want cleans.

Deermonic, that is not how the math goes as far as volume/wattage is concerned.

The sweet water deal is alright, especially since the seventy80 is trash. If you want new it would be a good way to go

The way I figure it, it'll be more challenging to find the DSL40C used with the Creamback than without it, so I'm probably getting the overall better value buying new from sweetwater.
Last edited by zab219 at Jun 21, 2016,
trashedlostfdup

How does he saturate the power tubes in the 40W Marshall for his bedroom then? I mean that's why you get a Marshall.

I say an attenuator or the 15W. That cranked 40W can blow away a small town hall.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 24, 2016,
Deermonic

Unless he plays classic rock like ACDC and such power amp saturation is meaningless. Metal and modern distortion in general comes from the preamp and that you can saturate to your hears content with the gain knob. :p In most cases you actually don't want the power amp to saturate at all so more watts the better.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Look into the Randall Diablo series. We Othin your budget and sounds awesome.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Deermonic
A lot of people, including myself, have made the mistake of getting higher wattage amps and being unable to ever hear what that amp really sounds like because you won't get the dial even past the 10 o'clock position. You are much better off getting a 15W you can turn up than a 40W you can't, with any good amp.

I don't get my 5 watter's volume control past the 10 o'clock position, and I don't share any walls with neighbours.

If you're cranking 15 watts in a home situation I don't know how your neighbours don't hate you, unless of course you're already deaf and you just can't hear their shouting and banging on the door and walls
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
People,

Given that the OP was planning on using a Father's Day coupon, is it possible that our advice is no longer timely???
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Deermonic
trashedlostfdup

That cranked 40W can blow away a small town hall.

Nah, not really, I have quite a few 50 watt heads, some even Marshall that don't blow away a small town hall. If needed, they sound very good at lower volume and there's always overdrive pedals that you cna put up front if needed.
Quote by Arby911
People,

Given that the OP was planning on using a Father's Day coupon, is it possible that our advice is no longer timely???

I gave up on the deal, once I realized how expensive tax is and that other sites don't charge tax. So, I'm still trying to figure things out.
Last edited by zab219 at Jun 25, 2016,
MaaZeus

A Marshall's distortion comes from power amp saturation not pre-amp saturation alone.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697506

Meaning cranked.
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 27, 2016,
Quote by Deermonic
MaaZeus

A Marshall's distortion comes from power amp saturation not pre-amp saturation alone.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697506

Meaning cranked.

Y'know, not everyone plays their amps the exact same way...

I've had several Marshalls, and other than occasionally cranking them for the fun of it, I got them up to a suitable volume level to heard with a drummer and that was it. I was not overdriving the power tubes, I was using only distortion from the preamp. Blasphemy to some, possibly, but squishy power tube distortion is not very useful for tight riffing.

You've went into many threads proclaiming this same thing over and over again, and it simply isn't true. Not everyone uses power tube distortion, not every Marshall has to be cranked to sound good (in my and many other's opinions anyway). If you want to crank your Marshall, that's awesome. You don't HAVE to to get a good sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The OP said what they want to play. Cult of Luna, etc. Post-metal. It's goes from Death Metal heavy to Melodic.

Of course not everyone plays the exact same way, but selecting an amp usually means you are getting it for its main features, which usually corresponds to sweet spots and what it can do. If you get a Marshall, adding distortion boxes to the ultra gain channel really defeats why one got a Marshall in the first place and cranking it is how to get the Marshall's distortion tone. If you are not going to use it, then why Marshall over all the other amps in the list?

The point is that they have several amps to choose from. Each amp has its own sweet spots. For the Marshall's ultra gain that spot is cranked.

If you don't want to crank the power tubes for Marshall sweet spot distortion, fine. Welcome to it, but then one would reconsider what type of amp to get altogether. Why not the Peavey? Why not the Orange?

For the OP,

As you see lots of opinions going around. May I suggest you take a loot at this site http://www.amptone.com
But MY point is that not everyone agrees that you have to or necessarily want to crank a DSL (if we are being specific) to get to this magic "sweet spot." Yes, the classic Marshall sound is cranked up. But off the top of my head, the DSL, the JVM, the 900 SL-X, the Silver Jubilee all have enough preamp distortion to never need to crank those amps. You can, and it'll probably sound cool, but it's not like that cranked sound is the only sound a Marshall produces.

I damn sure wouldn't want all that floppy power amp saturation to riff on post-metal. To each their own, but I don't think you should be treating this as if every Marshall has to be cranked, or even that it would need more than an overdrive pedal to achieve metal levels of gain. If you are basing this all off you DSL15 I think you may want to look into some other high gain Marshall examples.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ Yeah. And using a boost in front of a good tube amp isn't negating the reason why you got the amp. if you think it is, try running that boost pedal in front of a starter pack amp and let's see how similar it sounds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am with dementiacaptain on this one ^

To go into more detail:

The DSL5C uses ECC99 power tube, Celestion Ten 30 speaker:
https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/dsl-series/dsl5c/

The DSL40C uses 2 x EL34, Celestion Seventy 80 speaker

I'd rather go for EL34 power tubes than the ECC99 which is mainly a headphone amplifier driver tube. That and the bigger speaker should make me lean in that direction. In comparison the 5C would have a tinnier, less ballsy sound, and probably less fuller range. the 40C seems to have more tonal shaping options as well. Anyway...that'll be my pick and you don't have to play it window rattling loud, although I probably will
BTW, if you want to tighten the sound on the DSL series, then use an OD pedal, but the gain low/off. I find that tightens up the tone. I just use a BOSS SD1 in that chain but I also have a TS9 in the clean channel chain.

TBH, if you build an isolation cabinet, you can pretty much do what you want with this amps in terms of volume/cranking/whatever.
Thanks for the helpful discussion, guys. It sounds like I should take into consideration the internal components rather than just assuming that cranked is better than non-cranked.

In comparison the 5C would have a tinnier, less ballsy sound, and probably less fuller range. the 40C seems to have more tonal shaping options as well. Anyway...that'll be my pick and you don't have to play it window rattling loud, although I probably will

Do you think that'll hold true at comparable volumes? For example - do you think the 40C will sound ballsyier than the 5C at the same bedroom-approved volume?

Quote by Deermonic
BTW, if you want to tighten the sound on the DSL series, then use an OD pedal, but the gain low/off. I find that tightens up the tone. I just use a BOSS SD1 in that chain but I also have a TS9 in the clean channel chain.

TBH, if you build an isolation cabinet, you can pretty much do what you want with this amps in terms of volume/cranking/whatever.

I'm wondering if an isolation cabinet will actually fit in my apartment without being obscene.
For an apartment I'd seriously look into some sort of modeler (computer amp sims, POD, AXE, etc) and nice headphones and/or monitor speakers. You can also do a Laney IronHeart Studio or 6505MH if you want tubes and a USB interface.

Edit: looks like I already suggested this. Thread's too long!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Last edited by metalmingee at Jun 27, 2016,
Penultimate post: finally pulled the trigger on the DSL40C. I tried it one more time at Guitar Center, paying attention to how it sounds at low volume, and that was enough to convince me. I ordered it through Sweetwater with the Celestion Creamback ($629, no tax, free shipping).

I should mention that it's unclear to me how the power switch helps for bedroom volume. At 20W, it still sounds more or less just as "loud," but somehow "weaker." To my ear, it just sounds better at 40W, even with the volume knob at a low setting.

I should also mention that some negatives about the DSL40C not mentioned in this thread recently occurred to me (unfortunately, after I already placed my order).

First, there aren't separate EQ settings for the clean and lead channels. This might be a problem for live settings, because one might want a bass-y tone for the lead channel and a bright tone for the clean channel, which can be foot-switched mid-performance. Since I'll mostly be jamming in my room and otherwise recording, I'm hoping this won't bother me much, but it's worth mentioning.

Second, the footswitch is sort of silly - you can't activate crunch and the second button is for reverb. It would be nice to use the footswitch to turn the FX loop on and off. Personally, I'm not sure how important that is, because once you have a ton of pedals, you'll probably want to switch between different "combinations" of them - and there are separate pedals for that very purpose.

The nice thing about the Peavey 6505+ combo is that there are separate EQ controls for both channels and the footswitch is pretty nice - controlling channels, crunch, AND the FX loop. I didn't think about this when I was trying out the Peavey.

...but I did think the Marshall sounded much better than the Peavey. So, hopefully I made the right decision!
Last edited by zab219 at Jul 11, 2016,
Page 1 of 2