Seems to be good feedback on the DSL40C but I note that feedback is mixed on the more expensive JVM amps. Does anyone know if the JVM combos can nail the DSL40C tone? I understand the JVM series is supposed to be more flexible but that the DSL40C has that "marshall sound".
No it can't. I owned a JVM215C for a few years. No matter what I did (new tubes, new speaker, external speaker cab) it never had that "classic" Marshall tone that a DSL has. The JVM had a lower midrange frequency peak that couldn't be dialed out.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by JELIFISH19
Since when is a DSL the "classic" Marshall sound?

To me it's more classic Marshall than the JVM series. If you think otherwise that's fine.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I think the green channel of the DSL definitely has a classic Marshall sound.
OK, sounds like I need to go try a DSL. The price point is low enough that I might actually be able to convince my wife that I can "afford it". My only reservation from a design perspective is the shared EQ.
DSL is great. However Megadeth use JVMs and that's a Marshall tone as much as Slayers is on a JCM.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
They are two fairly different amps. I'd say you could get something approaching a DSL sound with the JVM, but it definitely is going to sound like a JVM no matter what. FWIW, I also think the DSL (the old ones, I haven't tried the new ones much) sounded a lot better than the JVMs.
Quote by Deermonic
DSL is great. However Megadeth use JVMs and that's a Marshall tone as much as Slayers is on a JCM.

You're behind the times, Megadeth use all Axe-Fx, thus the dry and lifeless sound on their last album, especially the leads...yuk. You could tell it is digital multifx from a mile away. In interviews they both say (Dave and Kiko) that they've moved to Axe-Fx.