Hey guys, so I'm fed up with just having V's and I've decided to go for a Les Paul of some description,
there's one small issue, I know next to nothing about Les Pauls, despite owning one of the Matt Heafy Les Pauls.
So I'm wanting to know more.

There are three I'm looking at:

The Epi Les Paul Tribute: Looks solid, especially with it's USA hardware and decent pickups. Only thing that's bothering me is being made in China, what's the production like on these ones? And is there any idea of what the weight is? I like a LP to be heavy but not too heavy. Is the cheapest and includes a case, looks to be the best value.

Epi Les Paul: Prophecy: Again they look decent with some decent pickups and has some cool colour options, however it might be a bit similar to my MKH Les Paul? Also has the D shaped neck which I quite like on my MKH, however there's two versions of this. The GX has Gibson 490 pickups, I remember those being quite trebly and icepicky or am I wrong? What's the QC like on it?

Epi Björn Gelotte: Sig model, Black and Gold hardware and has the EMG pickups, also has an ebony board. Again, might be too similar to the MKH. What's the neck profile on this one like? Looks to be based off the Les Paul Custom, again looks solid, but like my Heafy.

It's a toss up:

Budget is about 600.

Would a used LP Studio be better? I know I've opened up a can of worms there, but wondered what you guys thought.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i'd be inclined to check out the MIJ stuff as well like Tokai (but just be aware, if you aren't already, that the cheaper ones aren't MIJ), though you might have to go used with them as well like with the gibson studios.

i don't really know too much about epis so I can't help you there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you've got one of the better Epi LP's in the Matt Heafy already. You're not going to gain much.
Gibson does NOT do its thing well with guitars under $1000 (I'll get flamed for that one). The workmanship really doesn't start until well above the $2000 range.

I think one of the best LP's made for under $1000 is the Agile AL3200. Neck-through construction, ebony fretboard, real MOP/Abalone inlays, Axcess-like neck heel, tummy cut, good AlnicoV pickups, 14" radius, jumbo hand-filed frets, TUSQ nut, Graphtech bridge with string-saver saddles. All around $500. You can't get this stuff from Epi and certainly not from Gibson.
dspellman

Unfortunately as I'm in the UK, Agiles are out unfortunately.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Why does the Tribute being made in China bother you but not the other 2? Just curious.

The Tributes are essentially an Epiphone version of a vintage style LP. You get a solid maple cap (with a flame veneer), solid mahogany body, long neck tenon, Gibson pickups and upgraded hardware.

The Prophecy line is supposed to be more shreddy. You get 24 frets, a slim neck and EMGs.

The In Flames one is basically the Heafy without the neck shaved from what I understand.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why does the Tribute being made in China bother you but not the other 2? Just curious.

The Tributes are essentially an Epiphone version of a vintage style LP. You get a solid maple cap (with a flame veneer), solid mahogany body, long neck tenon, Gibson pickups and upgraded hardware.

The Prophecy line is supposed to be more shreddy. You get 24 frets, a slim neck and EMGs.

The In Flames one is basically the Heafy without the neck shaved from what I understand.

Honestly, I thought the other two were Indonesian, are they all MIC?.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Honestly, I thought the other two were Indonesian, are they all MIC?.

Okay, well if that's the case, why would Indonesia have a better QC than China? Isn't Indonesia cheaper and less strict to manufacture in? Shouldn't you be more worried about those guitars then?

I mean I've heard no issues personally about the Tribute series but I also don't consider where it's manufactured really matters that much in terms of QC. Has more do to with the company IMO. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about the MIC tag
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Okay, well if that's the case, why would Indonesia have a better QC than China? Isn't Indonesia cheaper and less strict to manufacture in? Shouldn't you be more worried about those guitars then?

I mean I've heard no issues personally about the Tribute series but I also don't consider where it's manufactured really matters that much in terms of QC. Has more do to with the company IMO. So yeah, I wouldn't worry about the MIC tag

I dunno if he still comes here, but myself and Mr Flibble share the same beafs with china. But however, if there's no issues with it. I'm more curious about them, they look solid, but I've never played a LP with that neck joint before (I know, I've never played an LP aside from my Heafy with the Axxess neck) Is there that much of a difference in the neck joints?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I dunno if he still comes here, but myself and Mr Flibble share the same beafs with china. But however, if there's no issues with it. I'm more curious about them, they look solid, but I've never played a LP with that neck joint before (I know, I've never played an LP aside from my Heafy with the Axxess neck) Is there that much of a difference in the neck joints?

It makes a difference to cork sniffers. That's about it. Some people claim that it helps with sustain or whatever but personally I don't find that.

PS corksniffers that was a joke, don't murder me
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It makes a difference to cork sniffers. That's about it. Some people claim that it helps with sustain or whatever but personally I don't find that.

I.E the types of players who you'll find on other certain forums?

Not what I was originally looking at, but this looks really tempting! https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/electric-guitars/is-mensingerguitars/preacher/709-preacher-3-tone-sunburst100099
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I.E the types of players who you'll find on other certain forums?

Yeah mostly those folk

YMMV though obviously.

I don't don't Mensinger personally but they look okay.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah mostly those folk

YMMV though obviously.

I don't don't Mensinger personally but they look okay.

It's a bit more than I want to spend, but the folks at Mensinger made my custom bass (with a different brand name) so I can vouch for their quality. It is 170 more than what I want to spend, but it might be worth it in the long run.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If you already own a Matt Heafy Les Paul, I wouldn't really think of any of those options as upgrades, if that's what you're looking for (I'd consider them comparable axes).

If you want another metal-friendly Les Paul, either the Prophecy or the Björn Gelotte sig would be a cool addition to your rig. The BG sig will share a lot in common with the MH sig, though (minus the neck joint).

If you want a Les Paul for more vintage-y tones/to mix things up with your rig, you could go with either the tribute, or a used Studio. At the prices used Studios go for, I'd be inclined to recommend that route, but they can be a roll of the dice (I've played some killer Studios, and a few "meh" ones). I wouldn't be too worried about the tribute being MIC as long as it plays/sounds nice, and the price is right though.

Agiles are another great budget-friendly option, but tend to have piss poor resale value compared to a Gibson or high end Epiphone (if that matters to you).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
If you already own a Matt Heafy Les Paul, I wouldn't really think of any of those options as upgrades, if that's what you're looking for (I'd consider them comparable axes).

If you want another metal-friendly Les Paul, either the Prophecy or the Björn Gelotte sig would be a cool addition to your rig. The BG sig will share a lot in common with the MH sig, though (minus the neck joint).

If you want a Les Paul for more vintage-y tones/to mix things up with your rig, you could go with either the tribute, or a used Studio. At the prices used Studios go for, I'd be inclined to recommend that route, but they can be a roll of the dice (I've played some killer Studios, and a few "meh" ones). I wouldn't be too worried about the tribute being MIC as long as it plays/sounds nice, and the price is right though.

Agiles are another great budget-friendly option, but tend to have piss poor resale value compared to a Gibson or high end Epiphone (if that matters to you).

Problem with Agiles are I'm in Europe, shipping/import/customs would probably kill it.

Yeah, the Tribute looks like the direction I'm going to go down to be honest, I was looking at the Ultra 3 too, but didn't think it was as good.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
600 dollars, is that? Well, completely different tangent, but have you looked at the Lee Malia? I love that guitar.

For value for money, I'd second who said to look at the MIJ guitars. Edwards, Tokai, etcetera. If you really want an Epiphone, I hear that the Elite/Elitist models were the best, Gibson killers, some of them, but this is only based on popular opinion, I haven't played one myself.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
600 dollars, is that? Well, completely different tangent, but have you looked at the Lee Malia? I love that guitar.

For value for money, I'd second who said to look at the MIJ guitars. Edwards, Tokai, etcetera. If you really want an Epiphone, I hear that the Elite/Elitist models were the best, Gibson killers, some of them, but this is only based on popular opinion, I haven't played one myself.

GBP.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Lookd nice, above budget though
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If you want shredder LP's have you checked out LTD Eclipses - 1000 series or the new Jackson Monarchs?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
If you want shredder LP's have you checked out LTD Eclipses - 1000 series or the new Jackson Monarchs?

Aren't the Jackson Monarchs the one with the pointy headstock?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Fisheth24I
Yes.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Fisheth24
Problem with Agiles are I'm in Europe, shipping/import/customs would probably kill it.

Has anyone used anything like www.myus.com for that?
Quote by dspellman
Has anyone used anything like www.myus.com for that?

I've never heard of the site, I'll look into it though!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I've always thought the Epiphone Les Paul Standard was a beautiful instrument. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I think you can get one for less than $500 on Amazon.
Look for one of these:
http://www.electraguitar.com/products/eofmn-eoc
http://www.electraguitar.com/products/eocrs-eoc

(The Omega Prime is also available in black or white. There's a model below that- the Omega- which is cheaper, but is available ONLY in black or white.)

Or see if you can find a used one of these:
http://www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-rick-vito-classic-guitar-metallic-red

Those are currently my 2 favorite non-Gibson/Epiphone LPs. I like the Godin Cores and Icons as well, but again, you might have to go used to find one in your price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Look for one of these:
http://www.electraguitar.com/products/eofmn-eoc
http://www.electraguitar.com/products/eocrs-eoc

(The Omega Prime is also available in black or white. There's a model below that- the Omega- which is cheaper, but is available ONLY in black or white.)

Or see if you can find a used one of these:
http://www.guitar.co.uk/reverend-rick-vito-classic-guitar-metallic-red

Those are currently my 2 favorite non-Gibson/Epiphone LPs. I like the Godin Cores and Icons as well, but again, you might have to go used to find one in your price range.

Not a Reverend?

Shows how long I've been away!

I'll see if you can get them over in Europe, they look absolutely lovely.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Well, the SECOND one is a Reverend.

But Reverend hasn't made many LP copies. I have that Rick Vito sig in black, and it kicks ass. The only other LPclone in Reverend's production history is the Roundhouse. I have one of those, too, but it is long out of production and the main version (with standard HBs) is nice but not as good as the Electra.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz

Looks lovely,

probably gonna go with the Tribute though!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Agreedm they look really great for the price. Just got to save up a little more!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I just got my 2nd Epiphone Tribute on EBay and I love them. I am a long time Gibson Les Paul owner (since the early to mid 70's) and I think these Tributes are great. In my opinion they compare well to the Gibson's (at least the ones made the past few years).
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
As I posted in the Les Paul thread:

I've been to my local store and played a few Les Pauls today.

They didn't have one of the new LP Traditionals in, but I quite liked the others I played.

Tossing it up between the 2016 Classic and the Les Paul Studio for now.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
One is cheaper and has less bling and the other one is basically a trad with a slim taper and a boost.

I would play them more and decide which one you can't do without. If you can't make that decision then I would say keep looking. When you're spending that much money you need to be sure you love the thing. I wasn't even intending to get an R8 when I got mine. I picked it up off the wall to test a pedal. I went home with it the next day because it was all I thought about and I knew I wouldn't live down the regret of passing on it cause it plays amazing, sounded amazing and looks the part and it was a bargain for me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah the Les Paul Studio was also a faded, which I think are cheaper than the regular Les Paul studio models?

The classic was nice, but I'm not sure the extra was really justifiable. I'm going to have to sit with them both some more I think.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100