Hello! I'm building a guitar sometime soon and I'm just making a shopping list so that I have an idea of what my budget will look like. The genre I'd be playing on the guitar is heavy metal so I want a nice and heavy tone. The pickups I plan to use with the guitar are seymour duncan invaders if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Tree wood works best. Seriously, I don't think it matters, especially if your sound is highly processed. If I was making traditional choices, it would be something like basswood for the body and maple for the neck. Alder or swamp ash would be tougher, but probably heavier. I'm a fan of paulownia because if its very light weight, but it is also very soft. Anyway, I wouldn't be choosing on acoustic properties.
Quote by adexder
The genre I'd be playing on the guitar is heavy metal so I want a nice and heavy tone. The pickups I plan to use with the guitar are seymour duncan invaders if that makes any difference.

Tree Wood.

Seconded.

You're using Invaders, so everything sonically about the rest of the guitar will be trashed anyway.
I tried to give away a set of Invaders to a guy in Slovakia. Would have cost him too much for shipping, and we both decided that no matter what the cost, it was worth more than the Invaders. Oh...uh...Invaders aren't my favorite pickups.

Other than that, a nice and heavy tone really isn't going to be overly influenced by the wood choice.
Quote by dspellman

Oh...uh...Invaders aren't my favorite pickups.

I'm actually planning to get dragonfire crusaders (The invader clones) and see how they are because they're very cheap yet I've heard good things about them, so if I don't like them I can just let them sit somewhere on a dark shelf
Guitars:
I'd go with something like poplar because it is cheap, plentiful, and sounds great.
Not taking any online orders.
Honestly I would say ditch the Invaders, because they are just really dark and won't help you get a heavy tone at all. If I were you, I would try out a Dimebucker and a 59 in the neck, Dimebag's pickups of choice (RIP). They will give a much steadier sound, and aren't loaded with bass end. Use those and a mahogany body, maple on the neck, and a rosewood fretboard and you'll have a heavy-sounding machine.
I wouldn't go with basswood as the Invaders have a lot bass minewhile the wood is warm-toned ???? ...
On the other hand, why use mahogany or something similar and add weight to your guitar just to make its tone
heavier ? It would really help us if you could describe the tone more in depth and please highlight except the tone
the weight u want it to be (light/average/dont care = heavy) the quility of wood (how long will it last)
the finish you are planning to put on the guitar (not all finishes look the same in different kind of woods)

My suggestion would be alder= average weight, nice tone ,good for distortion ,clearity at 11/10
Species of wood makes zero difference to the tone of an amplified electric guitar so pick wood purely on aesthetics (if you are going for a transparent finish), weight and workability.

I would also scrap the invaders, very bad pickups.

Quote by ZacharyVolt
Honestly I would say ditch the Invaders, because they are just really dark and won't help you get a heavy tone at all. If I were you, I would try out a Dimebucker and a 59 in the neck, Dimebag's pickups of choice (RIP). They will give a much steadier sound, and aren't loaded with bass end. Use those and a mahogany body, maple on the neck, and a rosewood fretboard and you'll have a heavy-sounding machine.

Dimebag never used a Dimebucker, he used Bill Lawrence L-500 iirc, the Dimebucker is another cashgrab attempt made posthumously by his family and a company to just appeal to "fans" like the shitty Dean guitars they keep churning out with his name plastered all over them. It is also a terrible pickup.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

Dimebag never used a Dimebucker, he used Bill Lawrence L-500 iirc, the Dimebucker is another cashgrab attempt made posthumously by his family and a company to just appeal to "fans" like the shitty Dean guitars they keep churning out with his name plastered all over them. It is also a terrible pickup.

My original choice of pickup was the Bill Lawrence L500XL but I decided that it was a pain in the arse because I can't decide which company to get them from and I haven't managed to get in contact with the companies that make them for some reason (Hence the invaders)
Guitars:
Wood selection does make a bit of difference on the feel of the guitar and a small amount to the tone. Building practices probably have more influence. Good tight joints make for better transfer of vibration. I like a guitar that really reverberates when I play it and that requires the use of woods that do not deaden the tone much.

If you are just going to paint it instead of letting the grain show then something like Alder or Ash with a Maple neck would work well.
Wood's available all over the place. This one was made from an IKEA end table and it sounded pretty darned good!

You can get poplar bodies pretty cheap. I like poplar if you want a light guitar. You can also get guitar kits that come with Mahogany bodies, and just use them for the wood. I am supposed to get a mahogany tele kit in the mail today, so I can report back if it's any good.