I was playing around with some arpeggios for fun and played 2 minor arpeggios half steps apart and I really like the sound, gives it somewhat of a creepy vibe. Also it seems to resolve well. Example Emin triad and the playing D# minor triad then returning to Emin again. Is there any theory behind this sound? or is each arpeggio viewed as it's own key? to my ears it seems the D#min seems to resolve well to the Emin. It has the same feel as playing a bb7dim arpeggio a half step down up to the tonic.
1) You're only ever in one key at one time.
2) D# is leading tone to E, resolves naturally upwards.
3) bb7dim? D#dim7 in E (D# F# A C) would be viio7 or seven diminished 7th. The number should not precede the quality of the chord.
It's usually called side-stepping, playing something, then playing it a halfstep away (some may say "play out") then bringing it back in. It is a really common thing to do on static chords or to create tension.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
hey guys, very cool examples
To my ears what I played was more on the metal context, although it's the same thing musically. I'm not sure how it'd fit in a chord progression. As in E min to D#min back to Emin? I think it sounds cool but can't really come up with a theoretical context. Any ideas?

2) D# is leading tone to E, resolves naturally upwards.
-I got that part, i'm just wondering why playing a min triad instead of a Diminished7th still sounds good to my ears.
3) bb7dim? D#dim7 in E (D# F# A C) would be viio7 or seven diminished 7th. The number should not precede the quality of the chord.
-Sorry, I didn't spell it out correctly, but thanks for the info learned something new
Guitar uses less function and more shape economy. Minor and diminished chords (with the same root) share two notes (1-b3), with the only difference being 5 (diminished or perfect). It's rather similar to what happens with the Neapolitan chord (b2-4-b6) as opposed to iio (2-4-b6), it just gives a different color.