Poll: Is Buddhism a religion?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Buddhism a religion?
Yes it is a religion
20 67%
No it is not a religion
3 10%
Something else
7 23%
Voters: 30.
Page 1 of 2
Is Buddhism a religion or is it more of a way of life / philosophy to live by?

Often when you're debating about Islam or whatever people bring up Buddhism as an example of a religion "done right" ie. with no religious zealots, or intrusive thinkings, of political forces behind it. Is this true?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Both religion and philosophy.

I've heard that on rare occasions a Buddhist will perpetrate violence (often against themselves)...Muslims, on the other hand, seemingly don't need a good reason to kill. Drew a picture of the prophet? Death ! Married a guy mom and dad didn't like? Death! Converted to something other than Islam? DEATH!! Oh, you are gay? DEATH! Talk about a broken record of a religion.

I don't think the two religions are in any way comparable. Buddhism is far more enlightened than Islam, as shown by the actions of the adherents of both religions.
Buddhism definitely has zealots and violence associated with it like every other religion.
It still has the awful politics of religion.
Plenty of zealots.
The actual practice is attractive because it doesn't really require believing in too much science fiction or angry god monsters.
But it still creates "us vs them" gang wars just as good as any other religion
>buddhism
>no religious zealots
>not used politically

Do people actually think these things?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
>buddhism
>no religious zealots
>not used politically

Do people actually think these things?

Yes they do lol

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I would say it's a religion in that to practice it properly there are still a lot of 'rules' to follow. It's a way of life and thinking on the same level as other religions, but like you say, it hasn't been hijacked to serve a political agenda in the same way.

My basic understanding of it is that rather than being righteous to escape punishment like Abrahamic religions the motivation for being righteous is purely for your own peace of mind. Somehow being selfless and unmaterialistic is driven by your own self motivation to make yourself a better person. I can get behind that sort of thinking. But I imagine someone will tell me I'm wrong before too long.

EDIT: Wow I've been proved wrong before I even posted lol.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

A highly philosophical non-theistic religion.

The lack of real deity is the main part of it that confuses people, as are the intellectual paradoxes, but it's very philosophically rooted.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by RAB11
I would say it's a religion in that to practice it properly there are still a lot of 'rules' to follow. It's a way of life and thinking on the same level as other religions, but like you say, it hasn't been hijacked to serve a political agenda in the same way.

My basic understanding of it is that rather than being righteous to escape punishment like Abrahamic religions the motivation for being righteous is purely for your own peace of mind. Somehow being selfless and unmaterialistic is driven by your own self motivation to make yourself a better person. I can get behind that sort of thinking. But I imagine someone will tell me I'm wrong before too long.

EDIT: Wow I've been proved wrong before I even posted lol.

It's so you don't become a frog or something icky in the next life

It's a religion, but a pretty decent one. Most atheists I know give it a free pass, since you don't hear about them trying to teach creationism in schools or bombing people. If it has extremists, they must be extremely peaceful, because I never seem to hear about them. Apparently, they embrace science, which is a nice change, although they still have some unscientific beliefs. But I've never had a Buddhist try to convert me or infringe on my rights, so they're fine by me.
EndTheRapture51

I think the ultimate goal of Buddhism is "Nirvana".....the abandonment of self and being absorbed into some sort of communal conscience.
Years ago there used to be this saying that no wars were fought in the name of buddism.
Until people realized how full of shit that claim was
But don't almost all religions impose an ideal way of living?
I think the two are pretty synonymous in this case.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by OriginOfFeces
Something else. Just hippie bullshit in the western world.

Buddhism was popular when I was living in California. So I guess that pretty much backs up part of your comment
Religion.

You have rituals, doctrine, dress codes, hierarchies of priests, ideals of afterlife and godhood (or a version of godhood), religious terms and concepts (nirvana, arhat, mantra etc).

Maybe it seems philosophical on paper but a lot of the arguments and claims are basically exercises in sophistry and vagueness.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Buddhism has con monks that wear Nikes and use donations for their own personal gain. That has always cracked me up considering they're (the monks) meant to be fairly destitute, simple and humble.

But I like Buddhism.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Both.

Often when you're debating about Islam or whatever people bring up Buddhism as an example of a religion "done right" ie. with no religious zealots, or intrusive thinkings, of political forces behind it. Is this true?

No.
compared to most religions though i'd say buddhists were fairly non violent
Both

I surely don't recall any Buddists comitting mass murder
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Both

I surely don't recall any Buddists comitting mass murder

Before Tibet was annexed by China, it was ruled by the Buddhist monks in a medieval feudal system based on fear, population control and torture.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Buddhism is a religion and I'm not sure why you would call that into question.

EDIT: Let me clarify. Buddhism originally wasn't a religion- it was descriptive of the life of some dude and then it eventually became prescriptive through time.
Free Ali
Quote by EpiExplorer
Before Tibet was annexed by China, it was ruled by the Buddhist monks in a medieval feudal system based on fear, population control and torture.

Sounds like a standard theocracy.
Quote by EpiExplorer
Before which annexation? I mean, are you talking about the Qing annexation or the Maoist one?
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Žižek claims otherwise.

I don't know shit about it but as far as intrusiveness goes, I only remember being bothered on the street by religious people shoving shit down my throat twice, both time it was Buddhists.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
tbf once some buddhist guy handed me a book in the street once and i was like oh thanks and then he was like no youve just bought it now give me money and i was like excuse me no thanks

Same shit with me plus they wouldn't shut the fuck up aboput their hippy bullshit. I'd rather have the book thrown and me and be told I'm gonna burn in hell if I don't repent tbh, at least the person would be upfront about it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
slapsymcdougal

Maoist. It was still a feudal state during the 50's if I remember the details, then the Battle of Qamdo happened.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Buddhism is a religion.

If you want to see Buddhism being used politically in a bad way go check out Myanmar. As a whole though it's not as bad as others in that regard.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by EpiExplorer

I was referring to contemporary religion, the Christians, Catholics etc. all have their brutal past.

I mean when is the last time there was a news story about a radical Buddhist monk snapping and going on a shooting spree at a concert or a gay bar?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

it's a pathway to life

also
i always lol when i hear someone say atheism is religion or that their religion is atheism
i guess a "belief" in that there is no god is a cult on it's own, i guess agnosticism is the way to go...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Evilnine

I mean when is the last time there was a news story about a radical Buddhist monk snapping and going on a shooting spree at a concert or a gay bar?

Well its not exactly a mass shooting but there's that whole Tiger Temple scam that Buddhist monks had going that was in the news last week.
Quote by Evilnine
I was referring to contemporary religion, the Christians, Catholics etc. all have their brutal past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence

Have fun.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Buddhism is a religion but more importantly it's just a fun word to say
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I want to give a serious answer to this, but ultimately I would find no pleasure in it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
I want to give a serious answer to this, but ultimately I would find no pleasure in it.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Contrary to popular belief, Buddhism is not a philosophy. Maybe 'someones philosophy' like, 'I always have a glass of water with my coffee', but nothing like anything an educated western philosopher would acknowledge as 'philosophy'. If you did, you would also have to call hedonism philosophy. It's all more or less ethically based life style teachings, nothing more. One can, however, argue quite a good deal about whether or not Buddhism is a religion. I don't think so, mainly because of the lack of belief in a higher being, creation myths, afterlife in heaven/hell etc. Ethics never a good indicator for religion, for religion simply promotes already existing ethical rules. Buddhism would be my choice, if I were in need of some kind of teaching in order to not be a dick. But I would prefer people come to that conclusion themselves, by using reason and intelligence - not because some bald headed dude in an orange dress told you so.
This is not a signature
Quote by ErnestoFidel
It's all more or less ethically based life style teachings,

So what you're saying is it's a philosophy.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
So what you're saying is it's a philosophy.

Absolutely not. Ethics may be a part of what philosophy deals with. But philosophy applies certain principles as open discussion, exchange of knowledge and scientific methods. Philosophy is always discussed. Buddhism, and any other teaching of that kind, is taught, often by an authority who cannot be argued with. A Buddhist can never surpass his teacher during the teacher's life time. A philosopher has failed if his student does not outsmart him sooner or later. Philosophy is also much more than just ethics. Anybody knowledgable in Logic for example would be able to tell you that this poll does not follow one of the basic principles of Logic which is the 'tertium non datur'. Something either IS or ISN'T a religion. A third option cannot be given.
This is not a signature
Page 1 of 2