A few years ago I read an article from Alan Averill of Primoridial, discussing what he considered to be false narrative of punk being a working-class musical revolution. The basic jist of it came down to punk, or at least the leather-jacket-safety-pin-mohawk Punk '77 interpretation you'll find in any mainstream music journalism, stemmed from an art-school educated liberal elite; essentially using the language and symbolism of class revolution as a means to annoy their bourgie parents, acting in a way they considered 'authentic' and in solidarity with the lower classes (not being able to play your instrument properly, not going for a bath, sniffing glue in a squat etc. etc.).

He went on to state that heavy metal, particularly the run from Sabbath to the NWOBHM, was the true working-class rock music, appealing to the man who was actually down the mines everyday as opposed to the person who's dad ran the mine. Traditional heavy metal music evokes escapism, determination and (instrumental) craftsmanship, but most importantly it contains a drive to succeed, overcome the limitations of your birthright and sell millions of records. It seems to me that heavy metal is still subject to the class-cultural bias that metropolitan society so often prides itself on, being denied credit for it's role as an outlet for the fringes of the working class whilst we are still force-fed the punk 'smashing the fash' from a certain section of the societal elite.

I'd like to know, users of the shambling husk that is the UG metal forum, what your thought are on all this pontificating, particularly as it relates to class structures within your country of birth/residence. For example, I remember having a conversation with Kepulix where he mentioned that Scandinavia doesn't have notions of 'class' like Britain, so it's interesting to note that a festival such as Roskilde in Denmark you'll see Autopsy sharing the bill with Kanye West. I can't think of anywhere in the UK that would happen.

Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I think it's the case with most leftist causes, whether that's the old fashioned "solidarity with the working class" or the now dominant "solidarity with X minority" type, that most of them and their mouthpieces in the media and academia are middle to upper class white people who have no real interactions with the working class or disadvantaged minorities and only know of and understand them from a theoretical perspective.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Thanks for the interesting and thought-provoking post, eazy-c. The only contribution that I will make to the discussion presently is sharing some interesting interviews that deal directly with this topic:

1. Solstice said that they are working class men and that in their generation, "punk and heavy metal was working class music." They also pointed out that they do not get along with the "Google metal brigade" and "middle class mealy mouthed tossers" who are more prevalent in heavy music today than in the past.
2. The Deströyer 666 front man provided insight into his upbringing on the fringes of society, "an austere and otherwise depressing place" that made "harsh music wailing about better and usually violent things seem not just appropriate but essential in dealing with our surrounding."
3. In the Lords of Depravity documentary about Sodom (it's available on YouTube), Tom Angelripper talked about growing up in a mining town where, according to the narrator, "hardly ever does someone break out of his inherited fate" and "heavy metal is a phenomenon of the lower classes."
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Jun 23, 2016,
I think the class lines have been blurred somewhat and it's a lot harder to pigeon hole someone. I think intelligence is just as big a factor as your earning is these days.

I work at a Solicitors full time, I own my own home, I have a degree, but financially I'd traditionally be lower class.
Compare that to someone who dropped out of school, lives in a council house, and works shifts at a chippy for example. They'd also be lower class.

Personally I think Metal is the music of more open minded people. Nothing to do with wage or social standing. Cries of "but how can you understand the words" or "how can you listen to a song that long" or similar things have always followed when explaining what music I like. Ive had that from people of all social standings educated, not educated, parents, single parents. People either don't want to understand it, or don't have to patience to try and understand it.

When I think of the people who do like metal amongst the people I know, they tend to be more intelligent, more willing to learn, more likely to read, more likely to be into film. I think in this information age that we live in, it's all about exploration and how far you are willing to dig. And I think it's people with that inquisitive mind who are willing to explore that are most likely to end up enjoying metal.
You know, I was going to come in and slave out a post about metal being the working man's music, but the intellectual honesty of Niel's post rings true as well. What really unites those under the metal banner is that sense of imagination and wonder. The intellectual curiosity that causes us to pursue those artistic statements, and the audacity to be presumptuous and wager to understand the art in our fallible sagacity.

Is that sense of wonder and imagination tied to a certain class? Statistically speaking, due to sheer numbers I imagine middle class and lower middle class to populate our ranks in greatest numbers, but is there a correlation between the two? I think that is the next product of discussion.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.