Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been playing for about 5 years now.. give or take. Struggled at first but once I got over that “hump" I learned very quick. Actually caught up to friends who've been playing for several years within my first year of playing. I even taught myself how to sing, play harmonica and ukulele as well. Eventually moving on to frequently playing open mics and little camp fire gigs. I was known as the guitar man. Brought it, or something musical related with me everywhere.
Recently I got sick with a flu/sinus infection which lasted for a few weeks and I was unable to play or practice. Now that I'm feeling better. I have absolutely no desire to play anymore. It sounds strange, but it's true.
I literally forgot half the songs I knew from lack of practice (most were fairly new to me before getting sick). I could easily relearn them, but every time I try. It feels forced. I'll play through a song or two. Then call it quits for the day.
Part of my reasoning could be that I don't have anyone to jam with. My friends who got me into it no longer play anymore. But that's been the case for quite sometime now. Just doesn't make sense. My dream and passion has been flushed down the tubes.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Just feel the need to vent and seek some advice from other musicians.
Thanks for reading.
Then quit. If you need motivation then you don't want it bad enough and you should be filtered out. Find another hobby.
It may come back to you naturally. It doesn't sound strange. It's this way with most hobbies. People get inspired, it wears off and bores them.

Try listening to new music/bands.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
If you really have no motivation, then I agree with Phazon: quit. Why carry on with something you don't enjoy? You might have just grown out of it. Lots of "dreams and passions" die with adolescence, mostly rightly so. Look back on that period with fondness, happy memories, and move on.

I can understand that losing contact with those you used to play with (and for) is a big factor. A big point of playing music (maybe the only one?) is to play with and for other people. For some, it's enough to noodle away in private, but even they are probably imagining playing for someone else, one day. It sounds as if you learned to play while your friends were also learning - the social aspect is a big motivator. (I know it was for me, way back when...)

If that's at the root of it, then obviously you need to get out and find some others to play with and/or for. But if even that idea no longer appeals, then you really should quit. The world needs no more guitar players, after all.

Keep the guitar, hang it on a wall. You never know....
Try to remember what made you take the guitar in first place. Also remember how you felt when you were playing / singing, before you had this flu. Maybe the lack of practice makes you feel that you suck, which is possible since you had to take a break, but it's only temporary once you get back to it. Also, do something else for a few days, let your mind go other places, think about something else. Then one day it's possible you hear a song, or out of nothing you feel like you want to grab the guitar again. But I'd say take your time, and if that's really what you love, you will naturally find motivation again in not too much time.

Hope it helped.
I think you just need to find someone to play with, just like you said. Forming a band or getting together with someone might just be the best thing for you. If you have enjoyed playing guitar before you were sick, you will be enjoying it in the future after you just climb out of the hole you're in. Don't give up.

I can't really enjoy doing some same thing all the time with the guitar. If I'm playing a lot of songs, after a while I get really bored, but I usually get a bit excited when switching things up by challenging myself with learning music theory (intervals, scales, chords, arpeggios etc.) or ear training or some new technic: something that is completely different and gives me a feeling of going forward with understanding of guitar and music. I usually find some new thing to learn if something old starts to taste like crap.

You might also think about making your own music, if you haven't done that before.
Find a guitar player who inspires you. Or listen to some new music which inspires you.
there's no need to pressure yourself into playing. take a year off and do something else. maybe you'll miss guitar and come back, maybe you'll find your real passion. your guitar isn't going anywhere as long as you don't sell it lol
I would say don't quit because, at least from what I understood, you have only started feeling this way pretty recently. Maybe take a break. But the thing is, you won't always feel motivated to pick up your instrument and practice or play music. And sometimes you just need to force yourself to practice. But it's all about your goals really. If you want to get good at it but just don't feel like practicing/playing, then you should try to find ways to make it more enjoyable. If you do it just for fun, then just do what you feel like doing. So the question is, what are your goals? Are you a more serious guitarist or do you do it just for fun?

I would say quitting wouldn't make much sense based on what I read. If you only started feeling this way recently, I don't think that's a reason to quit. That is a reason to try to find inspiration from somewhere else. Don't force yourself to play songs that you don't feel like playing. Also, just the fact that you asked us how to get your motivation back implies to me that you really want to play the guitar. So for that reason alone I don't think you should quit.

But yeah, sometimes you have phases when you don't feel that motivated. That's just a part of having a hobby.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Well they're your instruments, play them at your own will. You don't have to "quit" and throw all your guitars away just because you're not interested at the moment. It's not as if you have to choose whether to swear off music entirely, like cigarettes or something.

Unless you have professional obligations or aspirations, just let your guitar sit until you feel like playing it again. Chances are you'll want to again soon, or you'll just pick it up and play to spite your lack of motivation and find that you do actually enjoy it.
Quote by cdgraves
Well they're your instruments, play them at your own will. You don't have to "quit" and throw all your guitars away just because you're not interested at the moment. It's not as if you have to choose whether to swear off music entirely, like cigarettes or something.

Unless you have professional obligations or aspirations, just let your guitar sit until you feel like playing it again. Chances are you'll want to again soon, or you'll just pick it up and play to spite your lack of motivation and find that you do actually enjoy it.

Exactly.

The desire to play may well again arrive as simply as the lack of desire arrived. We are fickle creatures.

Y'never know. It could be something as simple as finding a really cool acoustic on Craigslist for $40; you take it home and can't put it down. One upside to taking a break and then returning is that you'll have a changed approach, maybe even only slightly, but you'll still look at it a bit differently. And that can make all the difference.
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Not everyone is destined to play guitar. Golf is nice.

Put your guitar in the case for a while and see what gives. I stepped away from it many times over the years but always came back with renewed desire to play. Some never come back. It's ok.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY