Page 1 of 2
Not anymore. I don't even think I have anything to play a cassette on anymore. If I do, it's out in the garage in a crate.

Can't say I get the "cassette revival". Vinyl, sure. But tapes? I sure don't miss Fast-Forward > Stop > Play > Nope > Fast-Forward > Stop > Play > Nope > Fast-Forward > Stop > Play > Too Far > Rewind > Meh, close enough. That's about as odd as VHS tapes being cool again (of course the hipsters would strictly use Betamax).
“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
yeah, i got some, but i don't really have anything to play 'em on anymore 'cuz my old boombox can't even play CDs without 'em skipping, forget about cassettes.

they're big in the DIY community 'cuz you can put 'em out pretty cheap -- why anyone would opt to buy a cassette when the music is available in other formats is a bit of a mystery to me, though.
Yeah used to back in the day. My first album was a cassette and I listened to it non stop. Used to love that R2-D2-esque noise at the start.
i bought a stereo with a cassette player thinking this is a great idea but in retrospect i don't know why i thought that i have exactly 0 reasons to ever buy a cassette of anything
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I have

The best of The Ink Spots
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Poison - Unskinny Bop (Single withSwamphuice (Soul-O) and Valley of Lost Souls)
Bad Boys of Rock A compilation album including David Lee Roth, Billy Idol, Rod Stewart, Eddie Money, Sammy Hagar and a few others not listed on the cover
4 home recorded mix tapes
"NO! I am not ready for hell, I have nothing to wear!" - Edward Richtofen
Cassettes came back a few years ago and I'm surprised the novelty hasn't died yet. I can understand the appeal to vinyl, at least, but why would I wanna own music in a format that sounds objectively worse? 2017 will be the year VHS makes a comeback. Watch out, Blu-Ray.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jun 20, 2016,
Cassettes will not make a real comeback beyond being a novelty item or something kids in high school will take with them for a day and "lol look i'm cool."

My grandmother has a lot in her room (i'm sure at least a few of them are old ones of mine but I cba to go check), but I do have this baby floating around in my closet somewhere:

I've got s few out in the garage.
Don't have anything to play them on though.
I do have a stereo with a cassette out there that is broken, but probably an easy fix.
I also have about 20 blank cassettes out there as well.
I own 2 System of a Down cassettes I bought years ago. One is their 3rd demo tape and the other is a promotional sampler from their first album.

I can see cassettes being sold as a novelty thing, but I can't see them making a huge comeback.
my dad has every beatles album in like a holder and it's quite pretty

might be worth something in 200 years
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

AHh my first love, really

i have 2 large moving boxes full of tapes:
childhood memories from the early 90's
home alone, jurrasic park, etc and like every Disney cartoon movie saved on blank tapes
i have an entire live set of backstreet boys performing in toronto on VHS

in terms of actuall "cassette" tapes i have a many in my garage
i have 2 michael jackson albums, some phil collins stuff, 90's boy bands that kinda stuff (i have an older sister okay..)
i even have an orignal celine dion (well all of them are originals...)
most of the music collection is my dad, but i spent a lot of child hood cash buying VHS tapes and cassette tapes too
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

What about 8 track tapes?
Those will always have a special place in my heart I guess.

I remember moving from Mariposa, Ca. (About 40 miles south of Yosemite) to the San Fernando Valley, going about 80MPH - 90MPH heading south, on Interstate 5, a bag of weed, my best friend, a 2 foot tall bong, in a 1970 Ford LTD, with Deep Purple - Machine Head, in the 8 Track tape player.
That was a hell of a trip.
This was in 1977, right after I graduated from high school.

To this day, I consider Deep Purple - Machine Head, a required accessory when on a long road trip.
(And "Pictures Of Home", not "Highway Star" or "Smoke On The Water" is my favorite track).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 20, 2016,
Quote by CodeMonk

I remember moving from Mariposa, Ca. (About 40 miles south of Yosemite) to the San Fernando Valley, going about 80MPH - 90MPH heading south, on Interstate 5, a bag of weed, my best friend, a 2 foot tall bong, in a 1970 Ford LTD, with Deep Purple - Machine Head, in the 8 Track tape player.
That was a hell of a trip.
This was in 1977, right after I graduated from high school.

To this day, I consider Deep Purple - Machine Head, a required accessory when on a long road trip.
(And "Pictures Of Home", not "Highway Star" or "Smoke On The Water" is my favorite track).

That's fantastic.

Machine Head was the first album I ever bought. Much to the chagrin, doubtlessly, of my parents. And, yes, Pictures Of Home is also my favorite.

For posterity . . . here is the back of the 8-track:

“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
Quote by Standard_A440
That's fantastic.

Machine Head was the first album I ever bought. Much to the chagrin, doubtlessly, of my parents. And, yes, Pictures Of Home is also my favorite.

For posterity . . . here is the back of the 8-track:

Kick ass.
Brings back some memories.
Quote by chrismendiola
why would I wanna own music in a format that sounds objectively worse?

Because lofi
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
did you just realize, brad?

some of the smaller bands i listen to release shit on cassette. i think it might be a cheaper physical format (?)
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
you don't listen to the tapes at all, just collect them.

like fancy coloured vinyl those bands usually have also.

If you want to actually listen to the band's music, you just go on bandcamp and download it.

anyway tapes are old:

O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Last edited by theguitarist at Jun 21, 2016,
lol i remember reading about that a while ago.

how long has it been since they even had floppy disk drives in computers?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
lol i remember reading about that a while ago.

how long has it been since they even had floppy disk drives in computers?

Probably since the mid-90s, I would say. I remember when I was 4, the computer we had came with a floppy disk drive. This was 1999 and that computer was already a couple of years old at that point. We got a new computer around 2000/2001, and the floppy drive was long gone.
Skip the username, call me Billy
my dad actually just found an old floppy from when i was about 5 or 6 that i had probably saved MS Paint crap on and was asking me if i wanted to keep it.
Cassettes are shit. I give vinyl a pass because people can hide behind the "sound quality" argument and the artwork is obviously bigger which is nice, but cassettes are shit.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I have quite a few cassettes from back in the 80's and early 90's before I switched the catalog over to CD's I don't have a cassete deck to playthem on though. I also have a larger selection of Long Playing 33RPM records and I do have a working turntable.

TBH cassettes were prett much disposable any of mine that were in heavy circulation I had to replace at least once, the tapes just wear out and begin to sound garbled after heavy use, they don't stand up to hot or cold temps either, they are however quite a bit of fun to drag behind a car. We called it tape skiing if you pulled the tape out enough to expose the more durable leader and nobody ran over them they would ski for quite awhile before smashing into a curb or mailbox and exploding.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I have a few cassettes floating around. a few bootleg shows a few albums and I have the first 2 songs I recorded back in early 90s (done at real studio) on tape as well.

I had some 8-tracks but gave them to a friend who restored a 71 Thunderbird that has a pretty nice (for the time) 8-track in it. he got ahold of a working 8-track that could record and tranfers new music to 8-tracks to have in the car.
yeh been buying cassettes instead of vinyl for a while.

got some cool uk dance music shit but cba getting it out to list. cassettes are v fun tho
Quote by CodeMonk

I remember moving from Mariposa, Ca. (About 40 miles south of Yosemite) to the San Fernando Valley, going about 80MPH - 90MPH heading south, on Interstate 5, a bag of weed, my best friend (a 2 foot tall bong), in a 1970 Ford LTD, with Deep Purple - Machine Head, in the 8 Track tape player.

Edited for truth...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Cassettes are still distributed quite frequently (and have been for many years) in metal. The underground scene in metal never stopped distributing tapes because it was always an integral way to get music across people and for metal fans alike to share their music. Even with bandcamp (which bands in metal still use) making metal more accessible, demos are still sold through the service. They're cheap and easy to collect.

I own a few tapes, but for a university student, they're definitely the cheapest for when blogspot doesn't return any results. They're easily the best for drinking beer to as well.

there are problems with tapes, and they mostly center around bootlegs. Trying to get an authentic tape from the early 80s/late90s metal scene is difficult to do unless you know someone with it and trust their knowledge on it.
Quote by severed-metal
Cassettes are still distributed quite frequently (and have been for many years) in metal. The underground scene in metal never stopped distributing tapes because it was always an integral way to get music across people and for metal fans alike to share their music. Even with bandcamp (which bands in metal still use) making metal more accessible, demos are still sold through the service. They're cheap and easy to collect.

I own a few tapes, but for a university student, they're definitely the cheapest for when blogspot doesn't return any results. They're easily the best for drinking beer to as well.

there are problems with tapes, and they mostly center around bootlegs. Trying to get an authentic tape from the early 80s/late90s metal scene is difficult to do unless you know someone with it and trust their knowledge on it.

Ok, but why? I'm still hard pressed to see the reasoning.
Charles Darwin
I enjoy using them, but prefer vinyl where possible. Or digipak/special edition CDs. The material elements to packaged music only go so far and I'm not sure cassette inserts have quite the same appeal as the "documents" you get in special edition vinyl.

Disagree that you "don't listen to tapes" though; sure, they degrade, but I have a tape player and between 0 and 100 years left in me. I'm not wasting my time being precious about such things.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by severed-metal
But why what, Arby? Why do people like cassettes?

Yeah, why are they still used as you describe? If there was anything about them that was actually desirable (or even arguably desirable, like vinyl) I could see it.

But there isn't. They are a grossly inferior and obsolete technology.
Charles Darwin
A lot of noise musicians use them for their lofi sound, size, price, and relative ease of recording. A lot of small-time musicians use them in general, of course.

some artists, like The Microphones, use that lofi sounds to their advantage.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 21, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, why are they still used as you describe? If there was anything about them that was actually desirable (or even arguably desirable, like vinyl) I could see it.

But there isn't. They are a grossly inferior and obsolete technology.

Desirability comes from context. A likened example, is someone getting a CRT TV and an SNES to play SNES games instead of using an emulator on your computer. It's attempting to replicate a certain atmosphere. In this case, it's your cassette player, tape and a beer (or weed whatever your substance). There's some degree of authenticity that the listener feels is there, and that alone is enough to justify their actions.

I in no way advocate for this authenticity, but I'm saying those are some of the reasons I've heard. It is about listening experience, the emphasis on experience over audio quality. It depends not only what you enjoy you listening to, but also how you enjoy listening to it. For a genre like black metal, where there are many bedroom black metal or thrash metal bands, the sound quality isn't going to be incredibly important because it's low quality to begin with so having to hear every note is pointless when you just want to bang your head or have background noise.

Most tape buyers today in metal (and I'm only referring to metal here as I don't know about other genres) came from the era of tape trading so they're used to that idea and enjoy collecting them. For them this holds nostalgia and enjoyment is earned through that.

Also people collect them based on value.

Hm, in an example, I own Münn ?– Selbstmordwald Rehersal 2/27/08. It's a drone tape that was really big at the time do its explosive black metal influence throughout the album. Shortly after this was recorded, the creator killed himself. This creates a history for the album and increases its value, so the demo has become a collector's item of sorts.

I didn't buy it when it was really expensive (for a cassette), I just enjoyed the album when it first came out so I got it a year or two later.
I'm glad other people know about Münn but I think it's fair to say that we're past authorship and can speak of the quality of the work.

Elu of the Nine are also good for tape releases.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
severed-metalpunk and hardcore bands still do demos on tape. especially smaller ones.

just thought id throw that out there again to back you up.
Thanks Jake, forgot about those genres entirely, if I was bit more aware, I could have mentioned distros like Analog Worship that carry punk/hardcore/metal tapes for really cheap prices (around 5 dollars).

A lot of the part of that goes with bands who want to distribute their music cheaply. People still enjoy physical releases, and a demo tape just works for them. If you don't like CD's and can't afford vinyl pressing and the entire costs involved with that, demo tapes are a cheap way to get your music out there. It's the cheapest non-physical release if you're unsigned or don't have someone backing you.

Or at least that's what I hear. I haven't looked it into much outside of hearsay from band members.
Page 1 of 2