here is the pictures....

http://i.imgur.com/f4hckkR.jpg

it looks like the right side guy is playing A thumb over (ive never done thumb over so it took me 30 mins to figure out its just a fucking A barre chord). i'm GUESSING that people don't ring out all the strings when they play thumb-over chords. like when i play this my last string doesn't ring out . is this "correct"?

after i figured out that i just realised the other people are playing it in a completely different fingering. it looks like they are playing : 5x665x . is this correct?

THANKS . there goes another 60 minutes trying to figure out 1 chord that is in 10 different crystal clear youtube videos. (yes i am struggling with the rest of the video also but surviving so far. idk why every song i want to play has fucked tabs, the tabs for this song are not in TAB form anywhere even tho it is insanely popular song)

here is the youtube videos for further reference ....

youtu.be/Yp-jn0wfkbc?t=37
Last edited by percydw at Jun 20, 2016,
ok i got a reply on my other forum , apparently they're playing xx665x so i was pretty much there !!!!! after like 2 days and 2 hours of trying to figure out , it was only 3 fucking notes in the end. it would help if one of the videos i was referencing wasnt randomly in a different tuning (i think. i just noticed...) , what in the actual fuck.
Learn to actively use your ears rather than rely on other people's work. It'll save everyone frustration in the long run.

Video link?
NeoMvsEu

i've got my answer now thanks. the video link is above - youtu.be/Yp-jn0wfkbc?t=37

it turns out that video the guy was playing in a different tuning (i think) which i never noticed. coz i cant hear for shit on distortion guitars. and was also referencing 3 other videos at the same time - youtube.com/watch?v=z8qHvJtahqY&feature=youtu.be&&t=38

trying to rely on my ear is a good aspiration but how am i supposed to know if i am right ever? these people have 5 fucking fingers glued to the guitar from what i can see , using techniques i've never seen before (thumb over shit) , and that's taking a guess at if their fingers are on one fret or the other. and it turns out they are only playing 3 notes? i can't even hear when someone is playing in a different tuning , or what 1 note is on a distortion guitar, let alone that someone is playing 3 notes instead of 5 .... its not an easy life
Last edited by percydw at Jun 20, 2016,
Missed that last line, oops @.@ thanks again!

He's in half-step down.

How long have you been playing instruments actually? If you're actually practicing by listening to what you're playing (oh this note is X, this is what it sounds like, the next note is Y interval away and sounds like this), and incorporate different combinations of notes.

Relative pitch is actually a lot of memory (as is perfect pitch to some extent). If you need, start without so much distortion/drive. Play to a tuner. Sing notes, and continue to practice instead of just playing. It might take more time, but I guarantee that it'll take less time than asking similar questions for as long as you're interested in guitar. (And maybe with the ear training, it'll make guitar and music more interesting.)
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Jun 20, 2016,
I would suggest learning to recognize basic triads and 7th chords by ear. And I would also suggest learning chord functions.

Do you understand keys? Do you know what major and minor keys are? Do you know how to figure out the key (by ear)? If not, learn about those first.

If you want to figure out chords by ear, start with simple progressions and learn to recognize chord functions. Forget about all this shape based thinking. Start paying attention to the sound. The problem with guitar is that it is a very visual and shape based instrument. It is easy to just learn shapes and forget about sound. If you want to learn something by ear, pay attention to the sound, not shapes.

It is a lot more important to be able to figure out that the chord he is playing is an Amaj7 (well, actually an Abmaj7 because of the tuning) than the exact shape. If you recognize the chord, figuring out the "correct" shape shouldn't be hard. But even if you were using a different shape, it wouldn't really matter. The more important thing is to play the correct chord.

But yeah, I would suggest starting with some basic chord functions. First learn to recognize the I IV and V chords. Start with songs like Wild Thing, Twist and Shout, Blitzkrieg Bop, You Shook Me All Night Long, We're Not Gonna Take It... Try to recognize the progressions purely by ear, without using guitar as a reference.

If you can already do that, try it with some more complex progressions.

When listening to chords, you want to listen to the bass first. The bass is the most important chord tone. Then find the other notes. Sing the notes, then find them on your guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
thankyou guys

i've been playing for 1 yr 4 months now and its been a hard road. my mechanics arent "bad" from practicing same things over and over but i have a lot of inexperience with different basic things.

right now i want to get a "song" down from start to finish so i think this is going to be the one. i have a few others of course but this will probably be the first "normal" one rather than some instrumental or vocaloid cover.

so yeah, i will check out those song suggestions because i really need to do some more "basic songs".

also i guess its time i learnt the notes by ear (i dont even know the names of the open strings, EBADE nope forget it)

here is the last videos i made like 2 weeks / 4 weeks ago (just for showing off lol).

you can see in vid1 that is the first time i ever done the "individual string chord progression" thing. so there is a ton of stuff i'm only starting to get familiar with lol. its great fun and every time i am like "this is fucking impossible, guitar is too fucking hard" but a few weeks later feel much better about my progress

the most frustrating thing is not being able to figure out things that i'm not familiar with (like not knowing a thumb-over chord doesn't need to ring out every string so i think it's impossible and get upset for ages). less dota and more active learning using existing resources should be my focus

Yea, with the thumb over thing you can't really tell what they're doing with the thumb just by looking at it, have to use your ears there. It could either just be muting the E and/or A string, fretting the E string, or fretting the E and muting the A at the same time (fretting both the E and the A on the same fret at the same time isn't very common). Use of the thumb can also be a personal preference thing in some cases. A lot of times a chord that someone is playing with their thumb can be played without using the thumb if you want, just a style thing. Like the basic F barre chord shape 133211 is usually played using the pointer finger to barre all the way across, but some people that like using the thumb will use the thumb on the low E string and either barre or mute the B and E strings with the pointer. Going one way or the other isn't going to sound any different. If they're fretting the low E and muting the B and E then you could still do that with just your pointer.

I don't know what's the most common, but personally the thumb mostly just comes into play for muting the E and/or A string when I'm doing something with a lot of strumming and don't want to mute those strings with the right hand - usually for a very percussive strumming style. The situations where I use the thumb to actually fret a note are a lot rarer, usually when I simply don't have enough fingers without using the thumb, or when I really need all four on the other side of the fret board but still want to hold down a bass note.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jun 21, 2016,