I'd say it depends on the context. ;-)

If the song is in C major and you have a Gsus4, a G mixolydian would work. (I.e. a C-major scale basically.)
If the song is in C major and you have a Asus4, then a A aeolian would work better. (I.e. a C-major scale basically.)
Quote by copperwreck

If the song is in C major and you have a Gsus4, a G mixolydian would work. (I.e. a C-major scale basically.)
If the song is in C major and you have a Asus4, then a A aeolian would work better. (I.e. a C-major scale basically.)

Forget about those mode names. Modes don't work that way and have nothing to do with what you are talking about. If the song is in C major, it's called C major. There is no difference between playing "G Mixoydian" or "A Aeolian" over C major backing track. Both will sound like C major because they are the same notes as C major and the key we are in is C major.

But yeah, it depends on the context.

TS, figure out the key of the song and use that scale. For example if the song is in the key of G major, use G major, or if the song is in the key of B minor, use B minor. If the chord is not diatonic to the key, use the key scale + chord tones. For example if we are in the key of C major and there's a Bbsus4 chord, you would use the C major scale with some alterations. Bbsus4 is Bb Eb F. F is in C major, Bb and Eb are not. So you would use the notes of C major scale and change the E and B to Eb and Bb.

How to figure out the key? Find the note/chord that sounds like home. That's the chord that you would most likely end the song with. Ending with that chord just makes things sound "complete". If that chord is for example F major, then we are in the key of F major. And if it's E minor, then we are in the key of E minor.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
When it comes to sus4 or sus2 chords, you'd want to use the scale of whatever key you're in. The corresponding major (or minor) scale of the key will work just fine; pentatonic work and use f accidentals are completely fine. Maggara gives some great advice on find the key to a song.

Quote by copperwreck

Yeah, modes don't work that way what so ever. Both of your examples are in the key of C major (as stated by you), so playing any (diatonic) note will be in C major. Key note: Different positions of the major scale =/= modes. Sure, people will use modes to describe the position of the major scale that they're using, yet that can be improper description. When used in context of a key, the different "modes" are truly different positions.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Irwin Navarro
Quote by Irwin Navarro
Thanks!
Depends on context. Which means: take the notes in the sus4 chord, and add the notes in the chords either side (whichever ones seem to fit). It doesn't matter much what you call the resulting set of notes.

There probably are occasions where this won't work (I can't think of any offhand), but most of the time it does. It does mean, however, that you need to know plenty of shapes for each chord, if you want to cover the fretboard.
Last edited by jongtr at Jun 21, 2016,
^ yeah, suspensions imply major or minor without confirming the third. Otherwise, the section may sound more like an add4 or an add9 instead.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
as posted context and key are the major concerns...also the length of time the chord is being played..in context..if you have 2bars of Csus4 you could try.Dmi6/9 pent scale and its related chords.. that could be a very cool sound..again depending on what comes before and after the Csus4..
play well

wolf
TS, what is the song? Is there a song, or is it just a question about the chord on its own? We need context, harmonically and rhythmically, these things will help us answer your question more thoroughly.
whole tone and half-whole scales all day forever
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.