Hello, besides few electrics i only have one acoustic instrument, an older German classical. Few months ago i started tuning it to other tunings than E standard. It gets a lot of tuning changes as the only one. I change the tuning quite often, from E standard to C, to cgcgge and back again. The guitar's tuners/machine heads are slowly shedding metal and eating away.
My question - Is that expected to happen or guitar is just not high quality enough.
I am on a search for a dreadnought acoustic (700-1300$) that would continue my German friend's job and torment. I assume tuners are my problem, so what tuners would be the ones to look for and avoid, in terms of staying in tune and self cannibalistic tendencies.
Last edited by MyBrokenGift at Jun 21, 2016,
You could replace the tuners with high-quality units for a fraction of the cost of a new guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
PSimonR No, it is metal itself going away. I just have no idea if that would be a common outcome, from massive tuning changes on an instrument. It's probably just the guitar right?
Arby911 I will do that. I was just worried that a higher end guitar with better tuners would need same procedure if i treated it the same. New guitar is more of a sound preference plus the neck on a classical is just massive.
Just my two cents, and that's all it's probably worth. I don't think classical guitars were designed to be played in lots of alternate tunings. You have nylon strings which, frankly, don't last for shit anyway. Each time you retune you stretch those strings a little more. Plus each time you retune you are using those tuners....they are getting more wear and tear than they would if you just kept the same tuning all the time.

You can buy some Grover tuners for 3+3 classical $30 (and higher). You can got with GOTOH as well, I think, starting around $40. If you like everything about the guitar except the tuners I'd highly recommend changing them out.
Just exactly how old is, "older"? Plating coming off old machines isn't terribly surprising. A lot of things can attack the chrome over the years, as well as them not being plated properly at the onset. It almost sounds like an excess humidity or salt air issue. People who live by the seashore can't keep chrome on their car bumpers worth shucks. (Of course you would have to be old enough to remember chrome car bumpers to appreciate that).

Do the tuners still work correctly? Is the money for replacing them in the name of vanity available?

If the tuners are working and maintaining tune, I personally wouldn't worry about it, unless I were in a situation with an audience.