Hey all, I've been interested in recording for a little while, now to give you as much information as I can, so you can hopefully help me as much as possible, here's the deal:

- I am a cheap bastard - not looking to purchase any microphones if I can avoid it, and not looking for top of the line software/hardware for what I want to do
- I am not looking to make fantastic recordings, just want to be able to record my goods and have them here on my computer
- I have a Fender Rumble 150W Combo amp, with a "Line out" male XLR port (used this quite a few times in gigs to DI straight into the mixing desk), and also the "headphones" 1/4 inch port

So I am wondering how you gals/guys think I should go about getting my bass to run through my computer, just the hardware side of things, I'll worry about what's good software at a later time.

Would the best option be to purchase a female XLR to male 3.5mm jack (or XLR to 1/4 inch with a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter), and connect my bass to my amp, then my amp to my computer?
Or 1/4 inch to 3.5mm direct from my bass to my computer?
Does it matter if I run my bass through my pedals, before my amp, then to my computer?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'll send you a Christmas card for your troubles
What actually is your budget? What you need is a proper audio interface. Are you on Mac or Windows?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by reincarnator
What actually is your budget? What you need is a proper audio interface. Are you on Mac or Windows?

So I can't do it without the audio interface? Like I can't do guitar - pedals - amp - computer?
I guess my budget is as low as possible. Really if it's too costly, I just won't do it; refcording just something I wanted to try and see what I can get out of it.

Quote by diabolical
You can try the bass amp direct out to the future audio interface, if that doesn't work you can always just plug the bass direct in the audio interface and use emulation software.

I'd rather work with sounds I can actually make ie use my own amp. But basically I'll need an audio interface either way?
BrettTheBassist Yes, you do need an audio interface to go into your computer , there are cheap ones around 50 euros, I think
Quote by progmetalhead96
BrettTheBassist Yes, you do need an audio interface to go into your computer , there are cheap ones around 50 euros, I think

Was hoping to avoid that, but I guess we can't have everything too easy in life
I'll have to see if I can find any cheap ones around, thanks!
You can use the built in audio interface and download something like ASIO4ALL driver for your built in audio interface, you can essentially take a line out from your bass amp and feed that with an adapter, I assume 1/4 to 1/8 mono into your built in interface.

You'd have to be careful with signal levels not to overload but I guess it could be done if you want extra cheap.

But you'd be better off buying an interface, something like this would do, $50 bucks:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEHRINGER-UMC202HD-2x2-24bit-192-khz-Recording-USB-Audio-Interface-MIDAS-preamp-/172119524890?hash=item28131f861a:g:u2YAAOSw5dNWsROT
Quote by diabolical
You can use the built in audio interface and download something like ASIO4ALL driver for your built in audio interface, you can essentially take a line out from your bass amp and feed that with an adapter, I assume 1/4 to 1/8 mono into your built in interface.

You'd have to be careful with signal levels not to overload but I guess it could be done if you want extra cheap.

But you'd be better off buying an interface, something like this would do, $50 bucks:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEHRINGER-UMC202HD-2x2-24bit-192-khz-Recording-USB-Audio-Interface-MIDAS-preamp-/172119524890?hash=item28131f861a:g:u2YAAOSw5dNWsROT

Yeah, by the sounds of it, if I want to do this and minimise the risk of damaging anything - an audio interface is the way to go.

Cheers everyone, appreciate the help!

Might have to hunt down one now...
I would suggest you need at least one mic with the interface. If you do a direct line from the amp to the interface you are just using the pre amp. You'll end up losing a lot of the tones you can make by micing the amp. At least that's how the ones I have used work. It really depends on what your going for in the end.
Quote by steviethwoom
I would suggest you need at least one mic with the interface. If you do a direct line from the amp to the interface you are just using the pre amp. You'll end up losing a lot of the tones you can make by micing the amp. At least that's how the ones I have used work. It really depends on what your going for in the end.

See now it's getting to the point where I need to buy too much stuff...
I'mma level with you here:

Cheaping out on recording gear is the 1st step to having things sound god-awful.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'mma level with you here:

Cheaping out on recording gear is the 1st step to having things sound god-awful.

Bingo!
If you can't scrape up $300 for a decent interface and mic, you are not serious about recording at all. Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors and then go buy some decent gear... or just continue recording with your phone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 25, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Bingo!
If you can't scrape up $300 for a decent interface and mic, you are not serious about recording at all. Wash cars, mow lawns, sweep floors and then go buy some decent gear... or just continue recording with your phone.

+1.

If you get more serious about it then start spending more. My home setup is worth roughly $1500 at this point.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.