Hey guys. I'm branching off into flatpicking (broke a thumbnail). Long as I'm gonna do this thing (until my thumbnail grows back) I wanna do it right. Who are some great flatpickers for me to watch and learn from? Doc Watson I know about already (and enjoy alot). Just discovered Norman Blake on youtube. I knew the name and that he is a prominent bluegrass musician, but had never actually seen him play. All I can say is...holy shit. This is great stuff.

Any more great ones you guys can turn me on to? Oh yeah...if you guys can give me any tips that's appreciated to!
Clarence White and Tony Rice are two of the big go-to guys. I recently watched a video where some guy gushed about Carl Miner for 20 minutes. It was a stupid video but Carl Miner is pretty good if you're looking for a more contemporary guy.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 22, 2016,
Thanks theogonia! As luck would have it I discovered Tony Rice just a few minutes after posting this thread. Wow, that guy is damn good. Good singer too, better than Norman in that regard probably. Found Tony Rice because I was looking for other versions of Blake's "Church Street Blues".
Also Jimmy Bryant might interest you. He's an electric country guy, but he's one of the few pure flat pickers in country.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Thanks again guys. I enjoyed all your suggestions. Jimmy Bryant with his speed reminded me of Roy Clark. Molly Tuttle was great, so was Carl Miner.