Hi,

So I've been doing some drum programming lately in Reaper and I've run into this problem. Basically, it's a pain to load a big drum VST to 10 separate tracks or whatever so I've tried to do it this way: load the VST on one track, and route the other tracks through it. It works well, except for one little detail, which is that I can't seem to individually adjust the volume and the pan on the separate tracks. This obviously makes mixing the drums near impossible.

I've tried playing around with the routing options, sending the tracks pre-fader, post-fader, pre-fx etc. but nothing changes the fact that each track is tied to the volume and pan control of the master track. I'm not an audio tech wiz so I'm obviously doing something very simple very wrong.

TL;DR - how can I route multiple tracks through a single track loaded with a drum VST to avoid extra work/cpu load on Reaper? In order to mix and pan different pieces of the kit separately.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Random3
Are you using Superior Drummer? If so I can tell you exactly how to do that.

Nope, I have some free drum VST that works in Kontakt 5 (called something like drummica iirc). Maybe it's an issue with Kontakt, I'm not sure.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Ah ok. What I was going to suggest is print the audio into stems and then import them onto their own tracks. Superior has a bounce function that lets you do exactly this. No idea if something similar exists in Kontakt. If not, you may need to solo each drum and then print a kick, a snare etc. That way you can treat each drum as it's own piece of audio, and just disable Kontakt to save on CPU.

This will only work if you commit to the drum sounds you want.
Quote by Random3
Ah ok. What I was going to suggest is print the audio into stems and then import them onto their own tracks. Superior has a bounce function that lets you do exactly this. No idea if something similar exists in Kontakt. If not, you may need to solo each drum and then print a kick, a snare etc. That way you can treat each drum as it's own piece of audio, and just disable Kontakt to save on CPU.

This will only work if you commit to the drum sounds you want.

I might try this if I exceed the capabilities of my CPU, for now I think just loading separate VST's is easier (I don't plan on doing massive drum parts or anything). I'll dabble around in Kontakt and see what I can do.[

Quote by moses132049
i know with addictive drums you can right click the vst in the FX folder of your track, and it should say something like "build multichannel routing for output of selected fx".

Didn't seem to work. If I took the option you pointed out, I had no sound from the extra tracks. If I took the "build MIDI tracks routed to this channel" option or whatever it was I arrived at the same situation I described in the OP. I'll try an another VST and see if it works with that.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Jun 22, 2016,
You have to first do it inside Kontakt, then match with track IO's. I remember it being a moderately annoying process doing it the first time. I'm still at work but I could give to details later tonight if needed.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/552/how-to-create-multiple-outputs-in-kontakt-5-and-route-them-to-my-host-sequencer/

There's a couple more steps to match those IO's in Reaper. The way it works is that you first send full MIDI track in to Kontakt, then individual outputs you assigned inside Kontakt to the corresponding tracks you create in Reaper. I think you'll have to disable the Master send too on the track running Kontakt.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Jun 23, 2016,